I read the lovely reviews on this hotel, so booked it via the hotel website.
1. Nice breakfast, good selection
2. Staff members Aoife on reception and Brendan on breakfast were very nice.
3. Clean room
4. Torn bed linen (photo attached)
5. Each staff member said a different thing...we can do dinner in this part of hotel as we are resident/ no you can't because of Covid. We felt very unwelcome. (I saw two people eating dinner in the bar next day, this was declined to us 'due to Covid'). On reflection, we were back from our walk and had coats on. I firmly belived that the staff member thought we were visitors who booked a table; she did not clarify that we were residents until I said it.
5. Exceptionally poor Covid precautions, tables too close together. No alcohol gel on tables. Some visitors not wearing masks in hotel.
6. One staff member prioritised visitors over us "I'll get you a table outside". It started to rain shortly after. We left and got food elsewhere.
7. Two course dinner with 2 drinks each was €74. No change provided. The person assumed the change was a tip? (Always happy to tip generously, but this was cheeky).Average meal. Scampi and chips was €18 per person.
8. On request,staff member brought dessert menu. No order ever taken as no one returned to us. Had to find staff member to pay bill.
9. We were asked to pay for stay on arrival. This was unusual, but I did as requested. My husband thought it was strange. When we arrived at the room, it was poor quality for the cost. The charge on arrival should have been a red flag, I was niave. Bed was a 4'6" double. Small in todays standards. A single occupany room would generally have this size.
10. Huts were in situ to provide outdoor dining. I asked if we could book one for dinner, but was told residents could eat inside and huts were for non-residents.
€160per night for double room.
See images, make your own opinion on if it is worth it. I waited a while before writing this review as writing negative comments is not in my nature. It appeared that the owner/s did not use the lockdown period to update/upgrade the hotel; it was a shame not to have used the closure time.
We were really disappointed and saddened by our experience. I loved Glenbeigh and will visit again but we will choose alternative accomodation. In hindsight, we should have spoken to the manager before leaving, but I was upset that the visit had not gone well after waiting months. I just wanted to leave quickly and get home. There was no one on reception when we left.