See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and would definitely recommend. Welcoming, working farm. Delicious, home-cooked breakfast, friendly hostess, helpful suggestions and directions. Thank you for a lovely stay!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My husband and I recently (August 2013) toured the Republic of Ireland for two weeks. One week with a tour and the other week on our own. We booked several types of places to stay to try to get a taste of several things while we were there. We stayed one night at a regular B & B, two nights at a castle hotel, two nights in Temple Bar, one night at a resort hotel and two nights at this "farmhouse" B & B. At first I was disappointed with this "farmhouse" B & B because I thought it was going to be someplace that would be inviting to participate with the farming (mildly) like maybe feeding some animals, petting some sheep, etc.... Being an animal lover but not having the access to these types of animals I thought this would be that type of experience. It wasn't but upon our return I looked back at the website and it had no mention of this so apparently it was just something I had in my head. I guess a farmhouse B & B in Ireland is just as it said on the website (which I guess it was just me fantasizing about the petting animals part). It is a farmhouse (and family) renting out rooms in their home. Just like if you went to a local farm in our country, knocked on the door and asked if you could spend the night. No plush towels, no little shower caps, no fanciness whatsoever. HOWEVER, it was WELL WORTH THE STAY to visit with an Irish family, to have someone to talk to about Ireland, politics, family, culture and getting to know some of the REAL IRELAND PEOPLE. What it's all about. Not just going to Ireland and driving along the tourist traps, and there are tourist traps practically everywhere. Dorothea and her husband and grandchildren where LOVELY. Very down-to-earth people. She invited us to sit in their living room to watch the Rose of Tralee which we had never heard of before that night. It was a special treat. Unfortunately an American from Texas won it. Anyway, if you can deal with thin bath towels, bring your own toiletries and a little dust (not more than the average home) then I highly recommend breaking away to this type of stay for at least part of your vacation. It's a great way to meet real people of a country. And, it was very affordable and she had great local recommendations like to travel counter-clockwise on the Ring of Kerry so you are traveling WITH the tour busses instead of against them on those extremely narrow roads.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Diane B
Reviewed 12 August 2013

loved the stay it was a farm house
l really liked the animals even to look at them is a peaceful feelling the service was brilliant and dorothea was very knowledgeable of the local killorglin and mid kerry area. The <a href="http://www.hillviewfarmhouse.com">hillview farmhouse website</a> contains details on all towns and attractions. I will be recommending hillview farm killorglin to my friends

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jsos20
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Dorothy and Joe greeted us on our arrival with tea and scones. Very quiet location with an incredibly relaxing setting. The hosts made us feel like family friends and that it was not a business, but a sharing of their home. The farm fresh breakfast was amazing and a great start for the Ring of Kerry. Dorothy offered an amazing recommendation for dinner at the Golf Course, with amazing views of the area. This will definitely be on the list next time in Ireland.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank holl5351
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Dorothy and Joe were the warmest most caring people! When we arrived we were greeted with homemade scones with real cream and butter! They were delicious! Dorothy sat down and chatted with us and we felt like family right away! She said it was milking time and we got to watch the cows being milked. That was quite something for us city folk! Her home was warm and homey with lots of pictures and warmth. Our room was large and the beds were so comfortable with the heavenly comforters. Dorothy had good recommendations for dinner and she even offered to drive us to the local pub that was playing Irish music since we were tired and stay with us! Talk about hospitality! The breakfast the next morning was just what we imagined....fresh milk and cream from their cows and farm fresh eggs from their chickens! Even smoked salmon! Dorothy was delightful and we felt like family from the moment we walked in! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple