“Best smoked trout ever”
Review of New Fishery

New Fishery
Ranked #14 of 27 Restaurants in Killorglin
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Description: Family run business. Fresh ingredients, local supplier and proper prepared is our standard. Famous Salmon tastings,seafood and European Cuisine. Event dinner & Catering.
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

I had the smoked trout with horseradish and salad on homemade dark bread, what a delicious dish.
The location is lovely by the river especially outside on a sunny day.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Stopped at The New Fishery today for coffee and cake! What a fabulous place. Beautiful outdoor seating over looking the river. Inside decor beautiful for those wishing to avoid the sun. Grest service, friendly, capable waiting staff. Food menu very good and very affordable. Will definitely be back for evening dining experience.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Around the curve over the bridge and there it is - smoked salmon sign! Which hits your stomach and head at the same time as it’s time for lunch!!
The restaurant had tables inside and out and was positioned along side a really peaceful river.
We went inside and was seated right away. However it took quite sometime for our order to be taken and waited again quite sometime for it to be delivered. But as with most great things - it was definitely worth the wait!! Husband loved the smoked salmon and I absolutely loved the smoked salmon chowder!!
The staff was courteous and friendly. Very clean environment.
Would definitely recommend this Restaurant to others.

Reviewed 14 June 2018

We were recommended to go for a meal here but it turned into quite a strange experience, we were met in a friendly manner and shown to our table. We ordered drinks they were taken to the table 2 at a time, rather than put the 4 drinks on a tray to serve us all at the same time, different. We found it unusual that some drinks were sold out at this stage of the season. The bread that was served was fresh and tasty.
Starters - The smoked trout looked like a fantastic piece of fish but the smoke totally over powered the dish, and you could not taste the fish. The mussels were in what seemed to be a lemon broth, the mussels tasted good, but the lardons that were through them left a strange after taste. The seafood chowder was ok.
Main meal - For a restaurant that is described as German, the meat was over cooked, the steak was ordered rare and what was served was a medium. The most unusual peppercorn sauce, we were discussing it and bovril with olive oil and pepper would be our description of it. The mash was very nice, full of butter and salt. Normally I expect that when steak is ordered that steak knives are put on the table, rather than having to ask for them. The plate of veg was good too and not overcooked. The seafood plate was a mix of good and bad, the prawns, scallops, mussels had good flavour and well cooked texture, the 3 pieces of fish were also cooked nicely. What was a surprise on this dish was the icy cold quinola salad in the middle of a plate of hot very tasty fish, for us it spoiled the dish rather than compliment the seafood.
It is very unusual for the coffee drinkers in our family to leave coffee in the cups, I can't think of an occasion when that has happened in Germany.
Perhaps it was just a bad night, but it is a night we will not be repeating. A lovely venue, based on our experience there is room for improvement, wishing the team good luck for the future.

2  Thank Obelix-Boar-Muncher
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

I just arrived from the UK for my aunt's funeral following a tragic accident.
My sister and her partner collected me at the train in Killarney and following an early start and a long evening ahead I asked that we stop at the fishery for lunch.
I had been there on the 14 May for lunch whilst on vacation and the customer service from the manager was excellent.

When we arrived we were asked if we wanted a menu from a young waitress and we said yes.
There were three young female waitresses working and we had to interrupt there conversations at the bar a number of times to order, ask about the wifi and to return the bread. The bread was toasted to a crisp.
We ordered two full breakfasts and one chicken lunch and a portion of chips.

My sister's partner went up to pay and I said to my sister that I wanted to pay after collecting me.

As we were driving out, a male member of staff came out and stopped our car and confronted us to say that we didn't pay.
We were totally shocked and in disbelief to be confronted and accused of not paying.
When we asked Yan why this wasn't handed over from the outgoing staff he couldn't answered as he confirmed they went off duty.
We asked if he called them and he hadn't, and we were shocked that before checking he didn't contact the staff before making a accusation.

We left the premises and enroute to my brother we stopped for coffee as we were in disbelief.

Whilst having coffee we had a call from the Garda (police) to say that we had left the premises without paying.

Having to attend a funeral in 1 hour we now need to attend the police station to clarify the sequence of events where the staff haven't taken the correct steps to ensure that their facts are correct. Absolutely shocking beyond believe.

Team stood behind the bar with their back to customers, no clue of what was on the menu and clearly no understanding of business processes.

5  Thank mickmurt