“Excellent scone and coffee”

Upstairs Downstairs Cafe
Ranked #3 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Clifden
Price range: US$5 - US$9
Description: Finest grade 1, Organic Fairtrade Arabica coffee in town. Great value bagels, panini, wraps, salads, home baked cakes and Irish ice cream served in a nice atmosphere FREE WIFI AVAILABLE
Reviewed 2 December 2017

A handy place right in the town centre with a bright and colourful upstairs seating area. Excellent scone and good coffee, with friendly service

Reviewed 29 November 2017

We don't get to visit Clifden very often, but when we do it's usually that time of day when you feel like Coffee + a light Snack. Having tried quite a few venues over the years, we've yet to discover one as consistently good as this compact Cafe, "Upstairs / Downstairs".

Our latest visit here was on a pretty rotten day in late November : I know well, having visited this "Capital of Connemara" for almost 50 years, that Rain is a very regular feature, but this time around we had to contend with a very unpleasant mix of Sleet and Snow - staff at the Cafe were even concerned at the accumulation of this downpour on the awning out-front!

Anyway, we were relieved to escape the elements, and get a good welcome from the Cafe's staff - since we were last here, it seems that there have been some renovations in the "downstairs" area, and the place looked all the better for that.

We greatly enjoyed a Ham/Brie Panini and a Toasted Ham/Cheese Sandwich, accompanied by a Cappucino for M (my "Better Half") + an Americano for me, all excellent, and tastefully presented.

As we sat and savoured our Snacks, there was a constant traffic of "Regulars" dropping-by (always a good sign) - our only regret, especially noticeable on a day like this, was that not all of these surely valued customers, appeared to know how to firmly close the door!

Our Bill / Check was, as before, extremely reasonable : a total of Euro 14-40 was excellent value - and YES, for sure, we hope to be back here again...

Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

While passing though Clifden we stopped for dessert and coffee. I love lemon everything, so I couldn't resist the lemon cake. Oh my word, it was unbelievably good. So lemony. The kind of lemony flavor you don't often encounter. Just delicious. If you love lemon, don't miss this!

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

After driving the Sky Road I was looking for a lunch place and this looked nice from the outside and it was. I had the chicken & vegetable wrap special of the day plus a cup of soup for €2 extra. Very nice. I followed it up with the berry tartlet and tea. Also good, fresh and tasty.
Seating upstairs had a view of the street, good Wi-Fi, spent a pleasant hour there.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

We had lunch here while staying in Clifden, menus are available just inside the door, you choose what you want and pay at the till when ordering. It was a wet windy day so we went upstairs and sat and the staff brought up our food. I had a panini and my husband had a wrap. I would recommend the lemon cake it was fab.
Lovely cafe, clean and bright. Would definitely eat here again.