“Ireland at it's best”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Wexford, Ireland
“Ireland at it's best”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My wife and me stayed for 2 nights on 24th and 25th Feb. Firstly the welcome was great.
Then we were escorted to our room.What a view,overlooking a little stream and Clifden in the distance.The room itself was nice and pleasant.
The bar served complementary tea,coffee and scones in the afternoon which was very nice.
Later that evening complementary hot punch was served with smoked salmon,soft cheese and crackers. What a nice touch.
The restaurant is on the first floor serving breakfast and dinner. A beautiful breakfast (buffet) with a large choice, something for everyone. Dinner was excellent accompanied with friendly service. Before dinner we were offered Champagne in the bar , and yes ,it was on the house.
So we had a great time.
Finally I would like to thank Shannon (waitress) and Roger (bar manager) for making it such a nice weekend .

3 Thank Seamus_mar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Excited we were staying in a castle for the first time, we entered reception to the welcome of the parrott!. It is indeed a unique hotel - all decor was dated aligned with the castle's history but had not been given a major facelift in quite a while. Staff were welcoming and helped us to our suite. The room was quite large including a 4 poster bed and gas fire. The bathroom was large and newly decorated with free standing large bathtub. Everything was clean, no smell of must. The bar was buzzing and we were invited to have crackers and cheese with fruit punch, a great way to start the weekend. Dinner was quite disappointing. The bread was stale, not a good start. The "fillet" steak was practically inedible, you could bounce it off the floor. As steak lovers, it appeared that the steak had been cooking for a very long time, now rubber and tastless , for which we were charged a very high price. In hindsight, at reception we were told they were "very busy" we should have gone out. My salad and fish was very nice and dessert was ok. It turned out there was a large group in as we dined, so it felt that we were being rushed through our courses so that the focus was on the large group. All courses were served very fast and there was a waitress to each table as we dined who practically hovered around as we eat the final morsel of each course and the dish was whipped away. It was very disconcerting!. Breakfast was somewhat better - a large choice of foods however, we were not impressed with what looked like a delicious bowl of mixed fruit, was actually all tinned fruit decancted! Overall, in my personal opinion, it is not a 4 star hotel - a number of things were lacking and corners cut in my view. For example, food presentation, dining room ettiquette and bathroom slippers (robes provided) . I understand the hotel has charm for those who like that e.g elegant library on the ground floor, but from my experience the establishment needs to assess cost versus overall service. I am sure that foreign tourists enjoy the wealth of character but in my view has fundamental issues that may inhibit a 4 star rating in the future.

5 Thank tinseltoes
Athy
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Myself and my partner stayed here for a weekend on the 10th February. I can honestly say it was one of the most relaxing weekends we've ever had. The hotel is not the most modern or fancy, but it really has a charm, with big comfy chairs and open fires and just a general relaxed and friendly atmosphere that you don't find in many places. The staff are genuinely lovely and so helpful, and have the appearance of people who like where they work. There is such an effort by the management to make a personal connection with all the guests, from the complimentary tea and scones in the afternoon to the complimentary champagne before dinner. Brian and Paul also went around to tables at breakfast and handed out maps of the local area, with a list of local attractions for people to explore, and at dinner handed out red roses to all the ladies for Valentines weekend. It was just the massive effort they went to, to make people feel welcome, I think it impressed everybody there. The food was lovely and the service was so quick, and I have to mention the dessert buffet with a massive selection of sweet things to suit all! I also treated myself to a massage and facial in the hotels treatment room, it was so relaxing and Michelle was lovely and spent even longer on the facial than advertised in the brochure, with really competitive prices too. It was really such a fabulous weekend in a fabulous hotel with such a lovely homely welcoming atmosphere from the friendly staff to the piano sing songs in the bar in the evenings, every guest that passes through the door is made to feel so welcome. It's well worth the visit.

Room Tip: We asked for a front facing room, they looked nicer
1 Thank Jabba-DS
dublin
Reviewed 21 January 2012

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful weekend in AbbeyGlen Castle - from the roaring fires to the Christmas trees, it was charismatic, charming, traditional and a very welcome escape from the city.

The staff are attentive and genuine and I had a lovely treatment in the beauty centre hidden out the back, which was very enjoyable. The restaurant is hard to fault; and in defence of other reviews; I adored the dessert buffet cart - while it would be more silver service for the dish to be brought to the table, this is a rare combination or exceptional food with traditional service. And with food this high quality, who wants to taste just one dessert when you can taste ten?? Maybe they weren't dessert people... i'm not usually either but i make an exception when they are this good (Rice Pudding - amazing!)

Our room was large and I was delighted to have the fire. with a large TV and DVD player, we could cosy up and watch a few films we had brought hiding away from the Irish weather outside. The only downside was that our gorgeous 4 poster bed was rather lumpy, and our bathroom was very cold, but these paled in comparrison to the overall experience.

The craic in the bar at night is indescribable as families, friends and couples of all ages celebrate together like long lost friends, and anyone who sings, or plays an instrument is welcome to join in. I can't remember the last time I had this much banter and i have recommended this hotel to several people since my return. We'd love to get back over to you someday - keep up the good work!

Room Tip: ask for one with a fire!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jenniferskane
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I stayed at the Abbeyglen Castle with some of my family for the three night New Year's package. The Abbeyglen is really a very unique hotel, the level of personal touch provided by the owners and staff is second to none, we felt like we were staying at a big friendly country house party for New Years. Brian Hughes makes everyone feel really welcome. The food - breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner - is all consistently excellent, great atmosphere in the restaurant with piano playing every evening. Because of the ambience, everyone staying at the hotel seems to get into a friendly mode and you get to chat to lots of people while staying here. The sing-songs and music in the bar and in the lobby on New Year's eve were excellent and very enjoyable, there was dancing on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day also. The complementary champagne was flowing on New Year's eve! I am looking forward to returning to the Abbeyglen and will definately return there for more New Year's celebrations!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ardroyo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
6.4 km away
0.6 km away
Foyles Hotel
Foyles Hotel
#5 of 7 in Clifden

Been to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!