“Good but has potential to be fantastic”

Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

We stayed here on the 4th of January 2017 and overall our stay was pleasant however we had a few hiccups regarding the food. We booked a classic double room with dinner and breakfast included. Our first impression of the hotel by the exterior and reception was fantastic the decor was superb and the staff were welcoming on arrival. The room was lovely with a king size bed, a 42" television roughly, a bath, shower and a view of a fountain out our window.

Food wise, we booked our dinner when we checked in we booked it for 6:30pm. When we arrived down to dinner we were shown to our seats and looked after by a fantastic waitress she was very attentive and ensured we were well looked after. Due to having our meal included we were not given the usual menu we were given a menu with very little choice especially for main course. Our choices were turkey and ham, Sea Bass or mushroom risotto. Both My boyfriend and I had the seafood chowder to start and the seabass for main course. The portion sizes were small enough with one small piece of sea bass on our main plate with one small bowl containing half potato and half veg for both of us to share. I had the brownie for dessert and my boyfriend has cheesecake. The brownie was a nice size and was served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, very flavoursome and well presented. The cheesecake was nice also however personally my boyfriend and I preferred the brownie. I couldn't commend our waitress more for her service it was fantastic unfortunately we never got her name.

Due to the such small portion sizes we were hungry later that night and decided to order room service. Our choices for room service after 9pm were toasted sandwiches and pizza. A good variety of each were available. We ordered a pizza to share. The pizza took at least 1 hour to arrive, we wouldn't have minded the wait for the pizza if it was enjoyable. However the cheese on the pizza was not fully melted and the pizza was cold when it arrived.

Our breakfast the next morning was good and is served until 10:30. We arrived down to the restaurant at 9am for our breakfast. We had a brilliant variety of hot food to choose from as well as different cereals. There was also different varieties of juices available as well as hot tea and coffee served to the tables. There was no fruit salad available while we were there but there were whole bananas and oranges to choose from. It might just happen that we had bad luck with the food in this hotel.

The gym and pool were well equipped. The pool was clean and the spa was busy so we didn't book anything. The gym was a good size and had a good variety of equipment. For a hotel the gym was brilliant and the pool was good also.

Due to the brilliant staff, decor and views in this hotel I would go back here again to give the hotel a second chance and see if the mishaps with the food were just a once off. If the food improves I would reccomend this hotel without a second thought.

Overall Experience: Lovely hotel, Fantastic welcoming and efficient staff, nice atmosphere, lovely views, the food was poor.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
OperationsKinsale, Manager at Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2017

Many thanks for your review of the Macdonald Kinsale Hotel and Spa, I welcome feedback both positive and not so. I appreciate all of your feedback to help us improve our product.

Kind regards

Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

I was treated to a 2 night stay in this hotel as a post Christmas break. The hotel is impressive on arrival with a beautiful setting. Check in staff were nice. Room was perfect. View was unbelievable! We had treatments in the spa the first day which were so relaxing. We ate dinner in the bar the 1st night and it was delicious though the service was poor, we only received cutlery and sauces as we finished eating!
Breakfast the first morning was tasty with everything you could ask for. The pool area is nice and caters for families too. The jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were perfect for us.
Then things took a turn.... we had dinner included in our package which we used the 2nd night. The menu was so poor that we requested the a la carte menu instead. Service was the worst I have ever experienced. Our bottle of wine didn't arrive until our main course did, after a lot of reminding the waitress that we were still waiting for it. We also had to ask for the bread which she "forgot" and had to leave without our bill as the waitress didn't know how to work it out. It was on our check out bill though the next day. Breakfast the next morning was awful. They had run out of lots of food. I was given the scrapings from the scrambled egg tray.... which were disgusting and cold. The bacon was cold too and I got the last piece of pudding which was tiny and shrivelled.
This is a beautiful hotel in a fantastic setting which is really let down by the restaurant. I would recommend sticking to the bar food!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Many Thanks for your recent review of the Macdonald Kinsale Hotel and Spa. I always welcome guest feedback both positive and less so, could I ask that you contact me directly on my email operations@hotelkinsale.ie so that I can personally investigate your concerns.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 January 2017

Nice Hotel built on large expansive grounds with a walkway around the grounds.

Unfortunately, the walk has no signage showing the route, time and or distance. There are a few dead ends and possible routes to take - while it was fine figuring out I would imagine this would distress people with mobility issues etc.

While Dinner was tasty the portion sizes were very poor. Sweet Potatoe soup barely had a soup ladle in the bowl and once you had taken your first spoonful you were staring at the bottom of the bowl. The Pate had three generous spoons of Pate with a Single slice of "toast" which was about the same size as my index finger which i found a bit strange.

Main course was offered with a side of veg that would barely suffice one person. In fairness to the staff when I requested extra vegtables there was no issue.

For breakfast - I was informed there was no breakfast included in my package. After a quick discussion, it was rectified. - An issue with the system was the reply

Late Checkout - We had late checkout included but the key cards were deactivated early, again this was rectified quickly - An issue with the system was the reply.

On checkout - There was a surcharge of 30 Euro for Dinner? I spoke to a member of staff and reassured here there were no extra charges. Again it was rectified - An issue with the system was the reply.

Any of these issues in isolation wouldn't be a problem but when you group them together is gives a poor impression.

The Swimming facilities were clean and enjoyable as was the room was spacious and bright.

Probably wouldn't be back to be hones.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank techieontour

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 January 2017

Stayed with my sister for a girl's night away. Unfortunately we were not aware that the spa would be so busy and did not book in advance. However they accommodated us where they could and the facials we received were lovely. Dinner was very tasty, very generous portions but choice was a bit limited on the menu. Surrounding views and walks were fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Many Thanks so much for your recent review of the Macdonald Kinsale Hotel and Spa, It is always a pleasure to hear that our Guests enjoy our hotel and that you singled out our fantastic Spa and the wonderful staff that run it. I'm so glad the team were able to accommodate you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 January 2017

Myself and my husband arrived for a B&B with Dinner and from the moment we entered the door we were met with smiling faces.
We upgraded to a suite with a room and I am delighted with the view of Oysterhaven Bay. We had the dinner included and we could choose from the bar or the hotel. we were lucky we booked when we did, as their was a wedding the night before and you could see the wedding party had just now been the after party crew and this was just the right amount of people to drink at the bar and enjoy our meal in the restaurant.
The bar menu was very reasonable but as we opted for the Restaurant we choose for the set menu and choose one or two meals from the upgraded menu for a small surcharge.I was delighted with the breast of Duck and the sauces were amazing, the husband had the rump of lamb medium and it all came out perfect. We found the wines very reasonable and complemented the food. For desert i choose the Chocolate Lava cake and it was so good, I received whipped cream and sorbet with this and the soft warm Chocolate sponge when broken into oozed real creamy chocolate sauce...what a treat! we left full and happy and it was a pleasure to have a local band playing good bar music to have an after dinner drink.
I have to compliment the Hotel for using the best ingredients even in the breakfast.. Clonakilty pudding, beautiful sausages & bacon and real Irish butter & jams.
after breakfast we hit the pool and that was fantastic, a pool with a view and they give you fresh towels at reception, so do not forget your swimming suits and swimming hat but do not worry if you forget as they sell them all on site.
please note this Hotel is a few miles out of kinsale Town and this was perfect for me and my husband. if you do want to go to the town reception will happy arrange a cab/taxi for you. the walks and views around the Hotel are amazing so I really think if you want a night away this is for you. So relaxing.

Room Tip: Bring your swimming outfit