“Family-Friendly Restaurant/Pub in heart of lovely town.”
Review of Jim Edwards

Jim Edwards
Ranked #21 of 57 Restaurants in Kinsale
Price range: US$11 - US$34
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 December 2014

After walking around Kinsale for a bit in search of a place for our family to enjoy lunch on our first day in the area, we spotted Jim Edwards restaurant. We were in search of a pub menu where my husband could have an ice cold ber after along drive from Dublin but also suitable for two children. We were greeted by cheerful, happy waitstaff who promptly offered us a nice booth. While we sat in the "bar side", I think it had more of a feel of a restaurant with small bar than a true, cozy Irish pub with a roaring fire. No idea what the other side "restaurant" was like as we didn't go in.

I was with my husband and two kids (4.5 year old & almost 7 year old). My 4.5 year old daughter ordered chicken nuggets from the kids menu which THANKFULLY were three fresh, homecooked pieces of chicken with chips. My son who likes to eat from the adult menu ordered the seafood chowder and so did I. The waitress mentioned it was a tomato based soup so immediately we were thinking it would not be so great, but it was delicious. It was more like a seafood bisque to me vs seafood chowder, but again lovely and we both liked it.1 My husband ordered the fish and chips which was an enormous portion and he loved it. I had the starter portion of the crab cakes too. Overall we were happy with the food, great service from the staff. Highly recommend.

I would have loved to have had a cold beer too but I don't like Heniken and the other selections. Perhaps Kronenburg, San Miguel or a Stella would be a great addition - or even a local beer. I recently tried a local brew from Cork (Friars) which was great!

1  Thank HepzabaV
Write a reviewReviews (1,554)

Reviewed 28 December 2014 via mobile

We went here with two kids ,staff very friendly despite being very busy.Food was reasonably priced with a good selection overall very good dining experience no pretense just good food and value ,well done !

Reviewed 17 December 2014

For our annual xmas-nite out my wife and I decided to give Jim Edwards a try - hadn't visited for years and boy were we pleasantly surprised. The place was buzzing last Saturday with big groups of xmas partygoers and the waitress acknowledged straight away that we might find it noisy and if so she could move us. (just to mention the waitresses, four in total, were all so pleasant and professional and made our stay that more enjoyable). After i munched my way through the lovely brown bread as i tend to do and ordered a half bottle of chilean red - i was the nominated driver for the not so enjoyable spin between cork and kinsale- we settled into starters of golden fried mushrooms and grilled crab cakes We followed with Pan roasted Pork and Pan fried hake with beautiful Gratin potatoes, vegetables and french fries all delicious and the portions were very large- really a place to come to if you want a good feed with the extra class thrown in. We finished off with Banoffi Pie and Cooked Pears - beautiful- and then we finished with white coffees but unfortunately this was the only blemish on a great meal - cups too small and not white coffee by any stretch of the imagination - its a pet hate of mine and you'd be surprised at all the differences between restaurants when you order white coffees. Overall, service excellent, food delicious, ambience just right though a little noisy but who cares. Well done guys until we meet again

Reviewed 14 December 2014

In the end Jim Edwards, is a pub that serves food, not really a restaurant.
It was quite busy and we had to sit in on table near the toilets. The service was slow.
We had both fish, catch of the day and Fried Plaice, well cooked.
For dessert Baileys Chesscake, very good.
Overall nice pub food, delivered at average price

Date of visit: August 2014
Reviewed 12 December 2014

This is the second time that we have eaten at this restaurant in 10 years and it is stil as good as the first time!