Hotels.com
Priceline
eDreams
2,129 results
All reviews coast restaurant sea view ryan's bar matt ryan bar lovely hotel breakfast room dart station family room dublin airport enjoyable stay hotel bar ireland conference
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 May 2022

Very large old hotel. I booked online for seaview hotel room. Never been to Malahide, so totally led by online. Room extremely dated! Double & single beds! ( not what I had booked!!!) seaview - just about acceptable.
No way of enjoying the view as no
Place for chairs in front of window. Hairdryer in the drawer, connected by curly wire, that barely was long enough to hold by mirror!!! Bathroom archaic! Shower over bath with curtain! The extractor was SO noisy and stayed on for about 10 mins.

On arrival, I asked to book for Coast restaurant - only to be told only open Fri & Sat eves.

All of this £215 for one night! Didn’t feel it was worth it. Won’t be returning I’m
Afraid .

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2022 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the hotel recently. We were booked in for 2 nights. When we first entered the room our impression was that it was dated and quite small and nothing like the photos from the website, and certainly not 4 star quality. There was a horrible smell coming from a drain in the bathroom and we thought it was due to the room possibly not being used for a while. However, the next morning, the smell from the bathroom was rancid to the point that we could not use the bathroom.

We looked to change to a different room at reception and the response from the receptionist was one of contempt. We were initially told there were no rooms available and that there was nothing they could do. Another receptionist approached us and we had to repeat our complaint again. The 2nd receptionist’s attitude was no different to her colleague’s.

After some patient coaxing from my husband, the 2nd receptionist advised that another room could be made however it wouldn’t be available for a couple of hours. At which point, the receptionist phoned housekeeping to request our new room to be made available but also, to check the room we were changing from “as it may need attention”. In other words, to make sure we were telling the truth.

At this point, my husband and I were made feel that we were an inconvenience and liars. Not once did either receptionist give an apology for the bad condition of the room nor a thank you for bringing it to their attention.

Having worked in the hospitality industry for years, I was shocked at the lack of professionalism and the lack of skill in dealing with our complaint. For the price we paid for our stay, we could have easily stayed elsewhere that provided better service and quality.

Needless to say, we will never stay in the Grand Hotel again. The hotel lacked the presence of a general manager which may have kept care and attention to detail in check.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank elleo650
Tina O Sullivan, Other at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2022

Dear Ello650,

Please accept my sincere apologies for how you felt on the day. As you have worked in hospitality before, I'm sure you will understand that as we were still completely full on the day, we simply didn't have a vacant room to move you to at the time you initially asked.
As you have mentioned though, we did contact our accommodation team to service a room as soon as it became available and to alert them to the reported issue. Rest assured, there was no hidden meaning to the conversation and again, I'm very sorry that you thought there was.

Reviewed 3 May 2022

Having stayed at the Grand many years ago as a child with my parents, and having had good memories of it, I thought that this would be a great place for our first anniversary as husband, wife and baby. Unfortunately it seems that since then either standards have slipped, or my memory has badly lapsed. Upon driving in the exterior looked a lot more run down than I remembered and could certainly do with a fresh paint snd windows freshened up, and unfortunately it seems that instead of any form of impressive landscaping it is a tarmac forecourt. Check in reception staff were excellent however that is where the good standards of staff would end and I can say would be the only positive experience of the whole stay. We were beyond disappointed to find our view from our room would be better placed in either a prison or an industrial estate simply looking over a series of air con units and netting at eye level, ironic when our room had no air con. We decided to ignore this and enjoy our break however the room was dirty with stained furniture and worse than all, directly beside a lift, with ourselves having a young baby. We spoke to reception who kindly agreed to move us..albeit to the room across the corridor so was still near the lift and noisy snd view was still pretty basic - looking into a canopy over the carpark. For the price we paid we felt like we deserved better however instead of complaining again we just accepted this as couldn’t be bothered playing changing rooms but keen to stress how poor the room was. To add the handle on the window was broken and window didn’t open. The bath was also rusted badly. We went out for dinner for the evening and decided to try the hotel bar however would have had more atmosphere in a grave yard. The lighting was so bright it felt like a car show room, no music and staff spent more time brushing the floor and cleaning so didn’t feel relaxing. Waiting staff were beyond unpleasant and must have really hated their job if their level of service was anything to go by. Finished the night off by trying to catch up on news on the tv in the bedroom and the music channels for some much needed atmosphere however had to switch to off as was faulty snd had an unbearable whirring noise from it the whole time was switched on, leaving my wire unable to sleep.
The following morning the breakfast was veering on inedible, but tried to power through (luckily I felt so sick after it I was able to throw the entire contents up). The serving staff I assume were doing community service and there against their Will as they were so unpleasant. We also waited over 20 minutes for coffee, by which point we had finished our breakfast. To try and salvage I had went for cereal but had ran out of bowls and no staff member knew where to get new ones. Finishing up, got a quick shower in the room and went out to the wardrobe in my glory to be greeted by the maid entering the room 90 minutes before check out time. Can understand this however considering the fact the door doesn’t lock unless heavily pulled shut..worrying to have discovered this 10 minutes before check out, meaning our room was left unlocked the entire time! Left very annoyed to check out, reception didn’t even ask about our stay so we left in a haste..ironically to get stuck in the basement exit doors which are a mish mashed mess when trying to exit. Fawlty Towers would provide a better stay and really disappointed to have parted with good money for such a poor experience!

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Michaaeel

Dear Michaaeel,

We were glad to hear that you found the reception team were excellent, however, very disappointed to read your comments on the other staff. I can assure you they are not here "doing community service against their will", they are here as they are well trained professionals, who go above and beyond each day for our guests and really do take pride in their work, so my sincere apologies if this did not come across during your stay.
I am also shocked to read your comments on other areas of the hotel and breakfast in particular as everything is freshly prepared each morning, from our locally sourced cooked breakfast products, to our freshly baked selection of pastries and homemade breads. We served 287 other guests for breakfast that morning and received positive feedback, but again I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy it.
The Grand hotel team really do try their best to ensure all our guests have a great experience here and should you return, I am confident you will see that.

Reviewed 30 April 2022

Advertised as a four-star hotel - not quite. No luggage porters anywhere -lug your own luggage, My room was best reached by taking an elev atop from ground level to level one then following a poorly sign posted corridor to another elevator, then taking that to my floor. Seriously? Website advertises 24-hour room service which doesn't exist. Why? Because they apparently don't have the staff available (Covid excuse) to deliver the service. Apparen fly, they also haven't got the staff to update their website over the last two year of Covid either. Laundry is NOT 24-hour turnaround service. Despite being told at the front desk that it would be returned to me a day later, when I went looking for it myself (no delivery to your room) is was lying in the same bag untouched 18 hours later.

Room tip: Hit and miss - it is impossible to tell if you will get a nice room or an ancient one,
Date of stay: April 2022
1  Thank Itinerant_Erdna
Tina O Sullivan, Other at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2022

Dear Itinerant_Erdna,

Unfortunately due to the building layout, it does mean a 2 lift journey to get to the executive room with the fabulous sea view you stayed in. I am really sorry that this was a problem for you during your stay however for next time, all our other wings are closer to reception and we would have happily moved you had we known there was an issue.
I am also dismayed to read your comments on room service as we do not advertise 24 hour room service at present.
We also do not advertise next day Laundry service at weekends, we do however have a great laundry service weekdays, full details of which were on the docket you filled out.
Front of House

Reviewed 29 April 2022

I’ve been coming to the Grand over thirty years, over which period it’s had its ups and downs.
Recently more ups, however on my current visit disappointed to discover they aren’t providing room service no doubt under the the last gasps of covid pretence.
Serious lapse for such a “Grand” establishment !

Date of stay: April 2022
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank stevebellp

Dear Stevebellp,
We're delighted to hear you've been coming to the Grand for over 30 years and on your next visit the room service department should be back in full swing.