“An ok hotel - no internet connection!”

Great National Hotel Ballina
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
Reviewed 11 August 2017

I have stayed in this hotel twice within the last couple of months, as I travel with my husband on business. Unfortunately there was no wifi from either room we stayed in, which meant I had to work from the lobby, on both stays. I did mention it to the staff on both occasions, but the only thing they could suggest was to work from the lobby.

On the upside, the hotel is clean, the food is good and the staff are friendly. Its about a 45 minute walk to the town. Leisure centre is also nice and clean.

Room Tip: Ask for one with an internet signal if you require one.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
andrewkeane2017, General Manager at Great National Hotel Ballina, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for kind comments and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am disappointed to read your comments with relation to the WiFi as their has been an large investment put into this earlier in the year. I will be contacting my WiFi provider to see how you did not have any connection and I would like to apologies for any trouble caused.

We do hope that you do revisit us in the near future and I can assure you that you will have a good WiFi connection.

General Manager.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Excellent hotel for families, great entertainment for children and adults too. Our room was very comfortable, airy and clean. The food was lovely, great choice and very reasonable too. The Staff were so friendly and helpful and there was a great atmosphere in this hotel. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a lovely relaxing break.

Room Tip: Our room on the third floor was very good with a great view.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
andrewkeane2017, General Manager at Great National Hotel Ballina, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent birthday break with us at the Great National Hotel Ballina and that you found that the hotel was Excellent for families and that you found the entertainment was great for both the adults and the children.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Stayed here on the bank holiday Sunday weekend in August. Bar food is lovely and carvery is very fresh. Staff behind the bar are very pleasant and chatty and the barman even remembered my Dad from a previous stay. Reception staff are lovely too especially Eva (I think that was her name). Swimming pool is all the one depth with a seperate kidies pool and jacuzzi area. Towels are provided so no need to bring your own. The girl working on reception there was really nice, don't remember her name(approx 3pm on Sunday 6th August). We had the pool and changing rooms to ourselves. Hotel is approx 5 minutes into Ballina town by car. They offer a kids club too and the kids get a welcome pack with a tshirt and some other bits when they check in. Breakfast is lovely, big selection of hot and cold food and cereals.

Room Tip: leisure centre is on first floor so rooms close to it are convenient
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed the bank holiday with us recently and that you found the bar food and carvery to your liking.

I would like to thank you for highlighting the friendly team here at the Great National and we would also like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Great National Hotel Ballina in the very near future.

Andrew Keane.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night recently with my husband. Check in was quick. The room was really spacious, clean and bed was really comfy. Decor wise it was ok but no wow factor. We ate the hotel bar as the restaurant part was booked out. We had a really friendly waitress who apologised that there would be a wait as they had both a wedding and a big tour staying. The wait wasn't as long as we expected. The menu was ok but basic enough. My husband had chowder and said it was the best he ever had. He said though his burger was very dry. I had the beef spring rolls and fish and chips and both were nice. The waitress was really attentive. There was music on that night which was good. Breakfast though the following morning was a big disappointment. The hot food at most was lukewarm and went cold very quickly. I didn't really eat much which is a pity as I love hotel breakfasts. Even my coffee was cold. They did have a cool pancake machine though which was nice to have and saved my breakfast. The spa was booked up so didn't get to try it. Overall the hotel was nice and apart from breakfast there was no complaints but it's an average hotel with no wow factor.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
andrewkeane2017, General Manager at Great National Hotel Ballina, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Dear Guest,

I am disappointed to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay and your concerns raised in relation to the breakfast and the beef burger will be addressed.

I would like to thank you for highlighting that you found the music in the bar to be good, the staff to be very friendly, the room to be spacious and very comfortable, the fish and chips and spring roll to be good and the seafood chowder to be the best your husband has ever had.

I am sorry that you did not find the Hotel to have a Wow factor in terms of decor and this is something that we will take in account when looking at future refurbishment.

We do hope that you revisit us in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

We stayed for three nights in early Augest. Lovely hotel. Book in was very swift. Food was first class, very tasty, especially the mc Shane's burger. Drink wasn't overly priced for a hotel. Room was clean and very comfortable although the carpet was badly stained (212). The leisure centre was also very clean, pity the sauna was out of order but got to use it on one occasion. The breakfast buffet was very good, plenty of choice and very fresh. Overall enjoyed the stay, all staff very hard working and very helpful, especially in the bar and bistro.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
andrewkeane2017, General Manager at Great National Hotel Ballina, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read that your had a great three night stay with us and that you have enjoyed your stay.

We hope that you will not wait too long to enjoy the "McShanes Burger" again and we look forward to welcoming you.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Kind regards,

Andrew Keane

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballina
2.9 km away
13.7 km away
Diamond Coast Hotel
Diamond Coast Hotel
#2 of 3 in Enniscrone

Been to Great National Hotel Ballina? Share your experiences!