“Just one km from Ballina”
Review of Twin Trees Hotel

Twin Trees Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
GreenLeadersGold level
ireland.
“Just one km from Ballina”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed a Sunday night in November. Room view was good. Disappointed in a 4' 6" bed. There was also a single bed in the room. A fine large bedroom with plenty of space and the heating was good. Lots of wardrobe space. We had a shower cubicle as well as a bath. Bar food was good. I was disapointed in the breakfast. No fresh fruit visable, all tinned. Brown scones was the only luxury. A very nice modern reception area has been added since we were last there. The hotel is 75 years old so lots of areas are add ons. We had to walk thru lots of corriders to get the the fab leisure centre but it is well worth the exploration when you get there. Very modern indeed.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dublinvisitor77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed in the Downhill House because we attended a wedding in another hotel. The staff were very friendly. The room while old fashioned was very big & comfortable. Breakfast was freshly cooked & good quality. We didn't use the leisure facilities. Overall a good value hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank Jambex
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I bought the pigsback.com voucher for €49 for B&B for 2 people with a glass of Prosecco each on arrival. We arrived to be told at check in that we could have red or white house wine as it was not worth their while to do the Prosecco. I found this very strange as that was the deal I had bought, but decided to say nothing.
We were then told that the breakfast included was only a continetal breakfast but that we could buy our full Irish proper breakfast for €7.50 each. Again I was quite surprised at this, as I had emailed the hotel to verify the offer before purchasing the coupon, and at no stage was the continetal breakfast mentioned.
We proceeded to the room, which was quite nice, I didn't care for the hairy blankets, and the bath panel had a hole in it but overall the room was fine. I checked my emails & copy of the voucher on my laptop to see if I had missed the continental breakfast warning, but it was no-where to be seen. I also scoured the hotels website to see if they offered a continental breakfast at all in any of their packages or offers and they do not. I did make note that the voucher was actually to the value of €120.00 – and I couldn’t see anywhere on the hotel website where that would be only for a continental breakfast!
Before leaving the hotel for a walk I decided to question the receptionist who had booked us in, as to the validity of the information she had given us. As she was on her break a “gentleman” who was sitting on the counter spoke to me over his shoulder and said that was the deal – with a take it or leave it attitude!
We then proceeded to have a surreal encounter with this “gentleman” whose arguments consisted of such statements as: “If you were in France you’d only get a continental breakfast” and constant reference to the fact that they had made a really bad deal with Pigsback.com and therefore it wasn’t worth their while if they had to honour the voucher and give the Prosecco & the full Irish breakfast. He refused to answer what the €120 referred to, saying he knew nothing about that – and repeatedly refused to open the drawer and look at the actual wording on the voucher. His only answer to my pointing out that I had emailed the hotel prior to purchase was that was all we were getting.
My husband & I agreed that their bad deal was unfortunate for them, but really didn’t have anything to do with us. My husband actually said at one point that we would probably still go ahead and have the full Irish, (although we didn’t on principle-and the continental breakfast left an awful lot to be desired too), all we asked him was to acknowledge that in Ireland a quote for B&B normally (always) meant for a full Irish breakfast and that theri offer had been misleading, and that they would take that on board for any future deals they entered into.
However this, in our opinion, reasonable request met with deaf ears – I asked the “gentleman” for his name before we left (to go up the town & spend our hard earned shillings on a lovely meal and quite a bit of drink in other establishments, where the service was better) – he did then tell me his name. I then asked him was he the manager and he told me he was the owner. I would have thought that as the owner (or even the manager) he would have introduced himself at the start of our encounter, when I asked him could he deal with my query – but I guess that would have taken some good manners and a level of customer relations which was missing.
Otherwise: all the other staff that we encountered in the hotel- the bar, breakfast and room staff were all from the Philippines and were very pleasant.
We had a lovely meal & evening in a Paddy Jordans, which I heartily recommend. Food lovely &superb service. If anyone wants to look at the many reviews I have done, they will see this is the first bad review I have ever given.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank demented
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the Downhill (12 Nov 2011). We chose this family run hotel for many reasons. Our experience from start to finish was excellent and we believe unbeatable. However, for those just wishing to stay at the hotel, I can assure you, that the personal service given to guests is quite unique. All our guests commented on how friendly and professional the staff were, the superb food (sourced locally) and the great location. The staff are happy to make recommendations for other bars and restaurants, promoting the town’s attributes. The rooms are a good size and always clean, the grounds / gardens / River Moy are lovely and we found the leisure facilities very enjoyable. We believe this is a great hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fox2011
Celbridge, Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed for one night, we had to change rooms because the one we were allocated was not very clean. Bath was stained and there was mould on the tiles around the bath.. It also smelled of damp.. Second room was okay, but there was a large damp patch on the carpet near the wardrobe.. We had got this hotel on a special offer and the two glasses of Prosecco on arrival was actually house wine that was already opened and was warm and vinegary.. A continental breakfast does not consist of tinned mandarins, tinned grapefruit and tinned prunes, scones and brown bread.... dreadful.. Really loud youngsters around the entrance late at night is off putting,

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the Lobby as possible
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geraldine F
Duck99, Director of Sales at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Dear Geraldine

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on trip advisor which I have read with a heavy heart. All I can do at this stage is to apologize for your experience in the Downhill House hotel and guarantee you it is most definitely not common practice in our hotel. With regards your breakfast at the moment we are running a winter promotion and unfortunately we have to align our costs with the revenue for the room charges which is €37 for two persons for Bed & continental breakfast.
I hope to welcome you back to the Downhill House hotel at some time in the future where you can contact me personally and I will make sure your room is upgraded and that you enjoy the true family hospitality that the Moylett Family are renouned for.
Sincerely