We have just returned from a 2 night break in Mount Falcon. We have 3 children aged 8,12 and 14. We loved the hotel. The staff couldnt have been more helpful especially Paula on reception. Our room was perfect, the beds are amazing, extremely comfortable (the only complaint was the heat of the rooms) but we opened windows to combat that. There are great walks outside the hotel with a really interesting graveyard nearby which contains the Knox Gore family who originally built the house. There is an abundance of history attached to this lovely old house. We found the archery particularly good (Ronan) gave us some great tuition and the children said this was their favourite! Our mobile phones did not work inside the house (vodafone) and while i found it a nuisance my husband had the best break ever!!!
We ate in the bar the first evening and the food was very good. Our main meal (on the second night) in the restaurant was really very mediocre. If one is going to charge €55 per head you would expect a very high standard. The food we had was not. My main course was salmon served with a drizzle of pesto and a couple of prawns. The salmon was luke warm and very overcooked and dry. When I asked for some sauce I was given more cold pesto sauce. My husbands dish was the venison which was quite good. The main chef Philippe Farineau was not on that particular evening. We both felt that charging €55 a head in this current climate is totally unacceptable. Considering most Dublin restaurants are charging €20 or €25 for a 3 course meal, we felt completely overcharged. Having said this, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel but feel the restaurant needs to reconsider seriously the menu prices. The hotel has an abundance of activities to offer and a wonderful staff eager to serve your every need. I would definitely recommend this hotel to fellow travellers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mount Falcon Estate lies by the banks of The River Moy ( the most prolific wild Atlantic Salmon river in Ireland ) between Foxford and Ballina ( The Salmon Capital of Ireland ). The Estate consists of a 4 star deluxe 32 bedroom hotel, Luxury lodges, fishing for wild Atlantic Salmon on its own stretch of the river Moy, a 3 acre rainbow trout stocked lake, a School of Falconry, 100 acres of mature woodland, a 3 km walking / jogging / biking trail, an Elemis Spa and Clay pigeon shooting. The house was built in 1876 and was a wedding present from one young groom to his new wife. The Estate was originally owned by The Knox family whose ancestors are buried in the circular graveyard next to a Megalithic tomb located on the Estate. Opened in 2006 Mount Falcon was the youngest ever hotel to win The AA Hotel of the year. In 2015 the Hotel was named the best Manor House Hotel in Ireland. The Hotels 'Kitchen Restaurant' holds 2 AA Rosettes and has received numerous awards for Best Hotel Restaurant in Connaught and The Best Head Chef in Connaught, the most recent award received was in 2015 for Best Chef in Connaught(by the Good Eating Guide). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, LateRooms, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mount Falcon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Falcon Estate Hotel Ballina
- Mount Falcon Country Hotel
- Mount Falcon Country Ballina