All reviews great location friendly family run budget accommodation public lot hiking trip sitting room big kitchen would stay here again common room excellent facilities cup of tea double bed stayed here for two nights centre of town other guests live music dorm
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We only stayed one night at this hostel, and it was quite a nice one. Very, very clean, and my 18 year old son and I had a huge private room with 4 beds. It was comfortable, with a mixed-gender shower room just down the hall (heads up if you're uncomfortable with mixed-gender showering). The kitchen facilities, reading room, everything seemed very comfortable and clean, though we didn't use them. The gal who checked us in wasn't particularly friendly or welcoming; however, she did her job pleasantly, if a bit disinterested. The only drawback is that we are not at all used to traffic noise and this hostel is right on the roundabout intersection of two major roads and there was traffic noise ALL night long... no escaping it from our room; however, there may have been rooms on the back side of the hostel that don't have that problem. It was so hot and muggy, and we had to have our window open or feel suffocated, so we dealt with the noise most of the night. When we finally shut the window, it didn't really reduce the noise much, anyway. Overall - it's a great place to stay if you can deal with traffic noise and mixed gender shower facilities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jnutraveler
kenmarefailtehostel, Manager at Kenmare Failte Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for your email and we are glad you enjoyed your stay in your 'huge private room'. We are situated in the centre of a busy town so we cannot help the traffic situation especially during peak times. Perhaps a b&b outside the town might have suited better, but we appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Failte Hostel is a lovely hostel with a nice atmosphere, a friendly warden, a very well equiped kitchen and a nice livingroom. All is very clean (rooms, bathrooms, kitchen...) and the private room for two was very big (it was a big room for 4 people). It is located in the towncentre. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MICHAEL D
kenmarefailtehostel, Manager at Kenmare Failte Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at Kenmare Failte Hostel.
Thank you for your lovely comments.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I just got back from a three week backpacking trip around Europe and every time I entered a new hostel I found myself wishing it was more like the Failte Hostel. I chose to stay in Kenmare because it was my great-grandmother's hometown, and when I told Maureen, the owner, this she immediately got on the phone and found my cousins for me within a half hour. Her kindness then alone made my stay, but her advice on places to see while I was in Kerry and the friendliness of everyone at the hostel made me feel at home. Everything was clean and welcoming in the hostel itself, and it's right in town which is perfect for activities. I could walk everywhere in Kenmare. I'll definitely stay again if (when!) I return!

Liz Green

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Liz G
kenmarefailtehostel, Manager at Kenmare Failte Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2015

Thank you so much and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Maureen is glad she was able to help you and make your stay enjoyable. We hope you will return.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Loved my stay there. Good value.Very clean. Comfy beds.Very cozy common rooms with a fireplace.Within minutes walk from everywhere in town.Not for party animals.Great if you want to relax.Sweet and hospitable host/owner,helped me dry my wet clothes after a long hike & also got me lots of info re local activities etc.Her warmth made my stay.Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Dani_love2travel
kenmarefailtehostel, Owner at Kenmare Failte Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely comments...we are glad we 'made your stay'.
Thanks, Maureen.

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

A family run hostel. Very welcoming and friendly staff. The kitchen is authentic irish country style. The facilities were spotless. Parking is an issue here. Notices around including rules could be worded a bit better. All in all I would recommend this place. It was secure and well run.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Carmel123456
kenmarefailtehostel, Manager at Kenmare Failte Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. There is a public free car park just 3 doors from our Hostel. With regards to the wording of the notices - would you mind letting us know how we could word it better and we can look into it? We'd appreciate it.
Thank you...