“Great day out”
Review of Blackwater Stables

Blackwater Stables
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Our horse stables are A.I.R.E approved for pleasure rides through the scenic Kenmare - Blackwater area on the ring of Kerry and we have Horses & ponies to suit all. At Blackwater Stables we also offer a wide variety of equine activities, from Trekking and horse riding to lessons With a choice from a pony ride up to two hours riding around the scenic Blackwater area it is an ideal area for any beginner to advanced rider. Whether you have not been in the saddle for years or never have. All gear and training will be provided with no additional cost. Blackwater stables are run to the highest safety standards, with all riders being provided with helmets at all times. All groups are accompanied by a qualified instructor(s) with years of experience and always more than happy to answer any questions you might have along the way. The horses and ponies chosen for the treks are carefully chosen for their quiet temperament and are more that qualified with most having more that three years with us.
Reviewed 24 September 2015

I came here when staying nearby Kenmare and I was glad it did. Its a great activity and especially for my partner who had never rode a horse before. Highly reccommended

2  Thank jamesozzie

Reviewed 23 August 2015

My husband and I went riding at Blackwater Stables in August and we are sure glad we did! Our guide was a youthful, but very adept rider (Megan, which also happens to be my name). She was very easy to talk to and the horses were equally easygoing. As an American, I didn't know about Irish cobs, so for all you other Yankees, they are robust horses with longer fur around their hooves and while I can't speak for them all - these ones were very gentle!

We went for the 1 hour trip. The price is very reasonable, and the horses are well cared for. Unlike other tours which ride on busy, curvy roads, this one is off road most the way and the bit of road that you're on is straight, and not busy. I never felt scared at any point in the tour. To be honest, if I'd been by myself, I would have gone back another day and done another tour again.

2  Thank Megan F
Reviewed 16 July 2015

We are a family of 4 with a 9 & 8 year old, we rang in the morning and got a one hour slot in the afternoon for trekking. All horses seemed perfectly suited to each of us, Anne and two assistants took us out for a wonderful trek in the sunny Kerry countryside, she even remembered to stop and line us up for a family pic. Great Service, would highly recommend.

5  Thank sq7198
Reviewed 18 June 2015 via mobile

I'm a horse trainer and jumper back in the states so going on horse tours for me can be so hit or miss. This tour was a ten!! Anne was an amazing guide, the scenery was epic, horses well trained but certainly not boring. My boyfriend and I did a two hour tour, through Forrest and into the sea and back. He is a beginner rider and he had so much fun! We got to trot, he got a bit of instruction and this may have been the most memorable day of the entire Ireland trip. Playing in the sea with horses was so beautiful for me and I loved my mare Jody. This is a must do... Better then driving, better then sitting in a pub and your heart will swell as you leave the stable!!!

5  Thank Ravingypsy
Reviewed 28 May 2015 via mobile

Blackwater Stables caters for anything from kids Summer camps to Trekking to Training horses. Everyone is catered for and Anna has horses to suit all riders whether you are a begginer or a more acomplished rider.
She has the most amazing 2 hr hack through Dromore woods which I enjoyed so much.
She is also an excellent teacher and top class for training young horses. She has taught me and trained some of my youngsters. There is aways a feel of relaxation at Blackwater Stables.
Overall a 5 * establishment.

3  Thank MM1Kenmare