Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 21/05/21
Free cancellation until 21/05/21
Free cancellation until 20/05/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
eDreamsUS$154
PricelineUS$154
Trip.comUS$161
1,381 results
All reviews conservatory restaurant leisure centre leisure club lovely village executive room waltons bar salmon the pub car park cooked breakfast lovely room a lovely stay short break train station wedding viaduct carlisle
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 March 2021 via mobile

My original review has been flagged, due to the email I sent to the general manager to which he did not respond.
His handling, or lack thereof of our complaint really left me feeling unsettling. He was rude and condescending about his team instead of discussing constructive improvement. Shall list again. I am assuming that the hotel flagged my review despite posting a response.

1.Cleanliness. utterly appalling. Given the current environment this was of paramount importance but unfortunately didn't meet basic standards. The kitchen surfaces had unclean stick marks and food stuck to them. Table in lounge had residue (presume food) on also. As did the upper bedroom.
The bigger issue here is that it illustrated surfaces had not been even wiped down, let alone throughoughly cleaned, which during current covid times and with an elderly family member was extremely worrying. There were cobwebs around the stairs also. Sent photos with email. Manager Chris's response was to tell me his head of cleaning would be so upset with feedback but did not address any of the feedback. Highly concerning

2. Lack of heating throughout cottage suite for over 48 hours. Three visits from maintenance manager. Told it was resolved over and over again and cottage would warm up,did not. 3 visits from maintenance manager. Assured GM would be informed to support resolution. Heating controlled from lower cottage and only resolved on our last evening before we left. GM informed not informed until the end of our stay. His team said otherwise when I queried before leaving.

Concerns regarding restaurant service, and 40 minute check in process also but minor compared to basic cleaning and healthy & safety concerns raised above. General manager seeking to smooth complaints and not address actual concerns.

Regularly stay in the area and would recommend avoiding.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Relax769628
Reviewed 6 December 2020 via mobile

Booked because it had leisure facilities but never got to use them as had to check out of this place asap. Numerous opportunities to warn us breakfast would be just bread ,cereal and juice in a bag outside door were missed. They even asked us what time did we want to book it to stagger us from other guests and getting full payments up front. In my opinion this can only be an attempt to conceal the lack of hot breakfast. Reception called the manager who basically invited us to leave after raising a complaint. Had no interest in resolving anything.

On checking in ,the manager passed by and was hinting strongly I should dine in the hotel and sink a few pints before dinner. Subtle bullying which was unwelcome. I might have done so had he not tried this on. Images of John Cleese came to mind.

The hotel corridors were ice cold and filthy dirty but the room looked ok at first. The small portable tv did not work properly and the beds were soft cheap spring types with no support but with a rock hard pillow which afforded very little sleep.

The next hotel we used had a comfortable bed ,decent breakfast and helpful honest staff. I will not be going back to this one again and I strongly do not recommend it. The way they seem to want to treat their customers is the problem. It seems a nice building with potential ,which is a shame.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank Hawkthestayer
Chris McLaughlin, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2020

Dear guest,

I have taken to the time to read over your feedback regarding your stay with us. My collegues and I seem to recall a different version of events which unfortunately did lead to you being asked to leave our hotel.

You booked a two night stay checking in on the 2nd of December and out on the 4th of December directly with us on bed and breakfast basses and as such at the time this was indeed continental as per our website and on other booking channels and at no point was this confirmed in any other such manner.
As this was indeed the very first night we opened after lockdown we were simply doing breakfast in a bag which consisted of granola, fresh orange juice, yoghurt, fresh fruit salad, Danish and a pint of milk, I understand this was not received well by you.

I wish to highlight that following your abusive behaviour and language towards myself and my staff in the morning you were indeed asked to leave which I then had to console the staff involved thereafter.

On a positive note we are now fully operational and offering not only continental breakfast but also the option of a cooked breakfast in our award winning restaurant. We are fully committed to providing all of our guests the same great service and product we are best known for.

Yours sincerely,
Chris

Reviewed 31 October 2020

Arrived at around 4pm, on checking in was asked for a swipe of my card which I handed over to then have the payment of the stay taken in full. Had every intention of paying and would have happily paid up from but that wasn’t what was requested at the time.

We stayed in one of the Castle View rooms. The room was lovely, big comfy bed and bathroom large and clean with a great powerful shower. Despite a laminated note in the bedroom advising that towels etc were available on request without the need for somebody coming into your room it was never actually explained on check, or in the room that the rooms would not be serviced during the stay due to covid regulations. While this may be understandable it would have been beneficial when checking in to explain this and how to get clean towels, toilet roll etc and that the room would not be serviced.

First night in Walton’s the meal and service were both fine. The second night we were left sitting for a long time before our drinks order was taken. When the meal arrived I asked for another drink and my partner asked for sauces, neither of which materialised until I went to the bar myself to chase them up mid-meal as it seemed near impossible to get any staff attention as they moved around.

The service on both occasions at breakfast was poor and disorganised. We witnessed people coming in after us to have their orders taken and drinks and toast brought to them before our orders were taken. We weren’t in a hurry but we were left a long time sitting without the offer of tea / coffee. There no structure on who was serving where. At one point we were offered the table next to us breakfast. While all the staff were pleasant the default position seemed to be to apologise for poor service rather than try and get it right in the first place. Being overlooked and forgotten about once is understandable but 3 times out of 4 is not acceptable.

We enjoyed the room very much but our stay was let down by the always pleasant but far too disorganised service.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 596helent
Reviewed 28 October 2020 via mobile

I enjoyed a long weekend in the October holidays with my son at this hotel. The food in the Conservatory was beautifully presented and tasty. We had the pan stone bass, goats cheese soufflé, scallops and cheese board. All was extremely delicious and I would recommend this restaurant and the Walton’s bar where we had the fish and chips and chicken burger. My son said it was the best chicken he had ever had! We went back the next night to have the same. The pool and gym were clean and appointments had to be made to ensure social distancing.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank AlisonJwilson
Reviewed 24 October 2020

Really disappointed about are stay waited months for this!! on the day of arrival we was told we had to book the spa 7 days in advance on arrival,,, poor service all round and a shower that was a powerful as a blow of wind!! It’s seems these people only care about the regulars from my impression! They need to remember eventually people die and maybe the company needs to think about the next generation and not the golden oldies with all due respect

Never again

No thanks
Chris

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank PennyLane8
Chris McLaughlin, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2020

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

So that I can use your feedback in the most constructive way possible it would much appreciated if you could kindly email me directly on cmclaughlin@crownhotelwetheral.co.uk and provide further details about this.
I am not sure of the relevance of your image to our hotel? It is of your leg and your top. The background is not from our hotel either.
Secondly to avoid disappointment we do recommend that our guest pre book our Leisure club. This is also stated on our website. In regards to your comments about the receptionist stating it needs to be booked 7 days in advance this is simply not part of our process.

We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service and product to all of our guests and I wish to highlight that in order for a guest to become a regular they once were a 1st time guest and we will most certainly will continue to look after all of our guests whether they be 1st time visitors or regulars.

Regards,