“Outstanding in every way”

Oak Lodge Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sudbury
Oak Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 15 Sudbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 October 2016

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Simply the best B&B I've ever stayed in.
We got married in Sudbury in July this summer. We booked the Garden Lodge and two rooms in the house for the bridal party to stay in before and after the wedding. A brilliant choice. We stayed another 2 nights after the wedding to relax before heading off on our mini-moon, and were so pleased we did. We felt so relaxed and pampered by the time we left. Anne was a truly exceptional host, making the whole bridal party feel welcome and at ease before the wedding, helping to calm nerves no doubt. Karen was so happy we chose to stay here. The garden is lovely, the breakfast delicious and the homemade cakes went down a treat. I can't recommend enough.

Room Tip: The Garden Lodge is lovely and the setting in the garden is exquisite
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 September 2016

This is the second time we have stayed in the lodge this year. We choose to have breakfast in the house. I'm sure you will have read other reviews about the standard of the accommodation, and the food, well they are so so true. Anne and Clive are the perfect hosts.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2016

What do you want in an excellent B&B? Really good facilities and breakfast- but most of all, the most considerate of hosts.This was why I chose it for a second stay while I did a weekend course at Assington Mill, (2 miles away). Other reviews refer to the super breakfasts with large dishes of fresh fruit salad and the excellent cooked breakfast. I was treated like a great friend of the family, and the car problem was no problem at all! Anne drove me to Assington, and Clive did the necessary moving of the car to a safe place. I intend to stay here again next year January as staying at Oak Lodge makes a complete weekend break in the countryside. Would recommend it to anybody. Good base for travelling around the area.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank cathyclare251
Reviewed 11 January 2016

This weekend was the second time I've stayed at Oak Lodge. Anne and Clive are perfect hosts. Not only is the accommodation clean and comfortable, the breakfast is fantastic. Being gluten intolerant. Instead of biscuits on my arrival, I had homemade mazipan chocolates. At Breakfast sausages made on the farm were substituted for GF beefburger, also made on the farm. Not being able to eat bread or cereal, there was sauté potatoes, with the cooked breakfast and fresh fruit salad and yogurt to start. (The burgers were so good I bought a dozen to take home!)
There's a great traditional local pub a couple of miles down the road that does great pub fair, all homemade and locally sourced, at excellent prices.
I can highly recommend this B&B!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed 10 November 2015

I have travelled the UK and Europe a lot in my time, mostly with Patch.
This is by far the nicest B&B I have ever stayed in.

Immediately on the telephone booking I felt welcomed and well looked after. Nice touch that Anne wanted to know both mine, my partner's and Patch's first names so she knew who to greet at the door.

The house is at the top of a single track lane, and in the winter dusk, it was a struggle for one of us to find (*hint - it wasn't me!) and the sign is quite small but so long as you have a sat nav or google maps, it's fine.

The welcome was warm and friendly, the house was cosy but not stuffy, and we were left to our own devices to settle and relax (after everyone had met Patch, obviously). We were asked roughly what time we fancied breakfast in the morning, which is always nice as you know it's going to be cooked to order rather than sitting in an oven for hours.

We explored the local villages that night and found some lovely pubs (recommended to us by Anne) and just relaxed really. She had allowed us to chill some bottles in the fridge for when we returned, and had left out some champagne flutes for us to use, which for a B&B is quite a rarity.

The bedroom is a standard size - nothing too big but certainly enough for you to relax in and manoeuvre - we had a big suitcase, dog bed, various shopping bags and shoes and we could still easily move around the room. There was a perfect sized wardrobe but we didn't need to use it.
There is tea and coffee in the room for you, along with some little treats - we had flapjacks one night and chocolates the other.

The bathroom is separate but is totally yours. It includes a shower with decent water pressure, toilet and hand basin. Everything you could want. The water was lovely and hot, and shower gel / shampoo etc was provided. The towels were lovely and fluffy and the toilet paper decent quality (sounds odd but makes such a difference!).

We woke up both mornings having rested and slept all the way through - considering I had a cold and probably snored like an elephant, the fact my partner slept all the way through is a real credit to the mattress! Proper duvet and very comfy pillows. I just happened to be on the floor playing with Patch and noticed the bed underneath. Now, I am not like the people off 'Four in a Bed', but that bed (and the rest) was sparkling clean and the whole bedroom and bathroom are clearly loved not just as a room for guests but as part of their home. I could go on and on really...

Each morning we were greeted by Anne and her husband, Clive, and Rose and Diesel, who are such lovely dogs! Rose even went to fetch the papers for us from the front door - better trained than my partner!
We sat at an oval table scattered with goodies; fresh fruit salad, made with fruit that actually tasted delicious - none of this water filled fruit you can sometimes get served. Cereal and yoghurt, jams and marmalade for toast - homemade toasted bread, I should add. And then came the hot breakfasts! My goodness were they good?! Home smoked bacon, homemade sausages, perfect proportion of meat to vegetables, the tomato even had a garnish of basil on, and the mushrooms were cooked whole with a drizzling of mixed herbs. Just totally fab. I am really not a huge breakfast person (honest!) but I could. not. resist. Tea was served in a warmed teapot, ketchup and other sauces were served in proper ramekins, delicious fresh orange juice, whilst all the time overlooking the garden and fields behind, listening to a lightly played radio in the background.
I really couldn't have done it better myself; it was like Anne knew exactly what we loved.

To top things off, Patch was allowed to run around in their own private garden, with Rose (Diesel had a poorly paw so had the cone of shame on) and was even given a chicken treat and some beef jerky as we left!

Just to add too - the cost is very fair, and I would not hesitate on recommending it to any friends or family who are going to the area.

We were there just sussing out the area with view to potentially buy a house there, and if our decision was based purely on our stay at Oak Lodge, I would move there tomorrow! To summarize, Anne and Clive are the perfect combination of impeccable hospitality and warm friendly hosts, and Oak Lodge is the place to be if you enjoy being cosy, relaxed and looked after by pros.

Tough gig to beat!