Rectory Manor(Great Waldingfield)
US$121
Bridge Street Historic Guest House(Sudbury)(Great Value!)
US$62
The Mill Hotel(Sudbury)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$71
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$86/night.

US$99
US$89
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
The Bay Horse(Sudbury)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 November 2015

I have travelled the UK and Europe a lot in my time, mostly with Patch.
This is by far the nicest B&B I have ever stayed in.

Immediately on the telephone booking I felt welcomed and well looked after. Nice touch that Anne wanted to know both mine, my partner's and Patch's first names so she knew who to greet at the door.

The house is at the top of a single track lane, and in the winter dusk, it was a struggle for one of us to find (*hint - it wasn't me!) and the sign is quite small but so long as you have a sat nav or google maps, it's fine.

The welcome was warm and friendly, the house was cosy but not stuffy, and we were left to our own devices to settle and relax (after everyone had met Patch, obviously). We were asked roughly what time we fancied breakfast in the morning, which is always nice as you know it's going to be cooked to order rather than sitting in an oven for hours.

We explored the local villages that night and found some lovely pubs (recommended to us by Anne) and just relaxed really. She had allowed us to chill some bottles in the fridge for when we returned, and had left out some champagne flutes for us to use, which for a B&B is quite a rarity.

The bedroom is a standard size - nothing too big but certainly enough for you to relax in and manoeuvre - we had a big suitcase, dog bed, various shopping bags and shoes and we could still easily move around the room. There was a perfect sized wardrobe but we didn't need to use it.
There is tea and coffee in the room for you, along with some little treats - we had flapjacks one night and chocolates the other.

The bathroom is separate but is totally yours. It includes a shower with decent water pressure, toilet and hand basin. Everything you could want. The water was lovely and hot, and shower gel / shampoo etc was provided. The towels were lovely and fluffy and the toilet paper decent quality (sounds odd but makes such a difference!).

We woke up both mornings having rested and slept all the way through - considering I had a cold and probably snored like an elephant, the fact my partner slept all the way through is a real credit to the mattress! Proper duvet and very comfy pillows. I just happened to be on the floor playing with Patch and noticed the bed underneath. Now, I am not like the people off 'Four in a Bed', but that bed (and the rest) was sparkling clean and the whole bedroom and bathroom are clearly loved not just as a room for guests but as part of their home. I could go on and on really...

Each morning we were greeted by Anne and her husband, Clive, and Rose and Diesel, who are such lovely dogs! Rose even went to fetch the papers for us from the front door - better trained than my partner!
We sat at an oval table scattered with goodies; fresh fruit salad, made with fruit that actually tasted delicious - none of this water filled fruit you can sometimes get served. Cereal and yoghurt, jams and marmalade for toast - homemade toasted bread, I should add. And then came the hot breakfasts! My goodness were they good?! Home smoked bacon, homemade sausages, perfect proportion of meat to vegetables, the tomato even had a garnish of basil on, and the mushrooms were cooked whole with a drizzling of mixed herbs. Just totally fab. I am really not a huge breakfast person (honest!) but I could. not. resist. Tea was served in a warmed teapot, ketchup and other sauces were served in proper ramekins, delicious fresh orange juice, whilst all the time overlooking the garden and fields behind, listening to a lightly played radio in the background.
I really couldn't have done it better myself; it was like Anne knew exactly what we loved.

To top things off, Patch was allowed to run around in their own private garden, with Rose (Diesel had a poorly paw so had the cone of shame on) and was even given a chicken treat and some beef jerky as we left!

Just to add too - the cost is very fair, and I would not hesitate on recommending it to any friends or family who are going to the area.

We were there just sussing out the area with view to potentially buy a house there, and if our decision was based purely on our stay at Oak Lodge, I would move there tomorrow! To summarize, Anne and Clive are the perfect combination of impeccable hospitality and warm friendly hosts, and Oak Lodge is the place to be if you enjoy being cosy, relaxed and looked after by pros.

Tough gig to beat!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PatchAndBeth
Reviewed 16 September 2015

Stayed last weekend and I have to say could not fault, hosts were so welcoming and couldn't do enough for you. Location really beautiful and a nice walk through the wood behind the house. The room was spacious and spotless so warm and cosy. Private bathroom. Home made biscuits in the room. The breakfast was amazing, thank you Clive, so much choice and filled me up for the day. Loved the whole experience - a real must for anyone looking for a first class B&B - can't wait to go back.

Jane & Malcolm

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed 19 July 2015

We stayed for one night whilst kayaking on the river stour. We were made most welcome by Anne and Clive they were perfect hosts. The accommodation was spotlessly clean with those little extras which makes a special stay, comfy bed, power shower, home made biscuits and a wide choice of teas and coffee. The breakfast was delicious, better than you would get from a five star hotel. Not only was a full english included but also fresh fruit (including strawberries & blueberries fresh from the garden), yoghurt, cereals, fresh fruit juice and tea and coffee. Nothing was too much trouble for Anne and Clive and we hope to visit again when we are kayaking in the area.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amw1966
Reviewed 11 September 2014

Stayed two nights in the annexe and cannot speak highly enough of Oak Lodge. Very friendly welcome, spotlessly clean, comfortable bed, Freeview and an excellent breakfast. All of the extras of a good 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask fore the annexe, slightly more than the standard room but worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hugh F
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Further good things to add..... In a last minute rush I called and booked the Garden lodge for myself and wife on a family visit. Ann could not have been more helpful and obliging.
A remote....and peaceful location.....Spotlessly clean.
We had dinner at our place of choice in the area ...The Fox at Bulmer Tye which must be the BEST in many miles for quality dining with a relaxed atmosphere.
Oak Lodge and our hosts certainly impressed ....and I am sure apart from a softer bed (Personal Choice only) its one of the best in the area.
Thank You Ann & Clive.

Room Tip: I can only say.....The Lodge is nice and private and ideal for our needs.
Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple