All reviews pit stop breakfast was included an overnight stay lovely breakfast needed somewhere double room pay the difference stopped overnight roadside cafe bite to eat tea and coffee making facilities couple of nights sandwiches on arrival full english lyme regis motel
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights while visiting the River cottage festival, I would rate it a 2*. we stayed in one of 6 or 7 chalet style rooms having its own private carpark located round the back of what can only be described as a trucker’s greasy spoon café. The room its self was very clean but basic and I mean BASIC. I was surprised how quiet it was as the room backed on to the busy A35 road. The lady who showed us to our room didn't seem very friendly.
The first morning breakfast in the transport café was an experience I won’t forget in a while, it took 45 minutes to bring coffee and omelettes.
whilst the menu in the café is extensive and boosts table service!!! efficient they are not. To me the staff seemed rushed, but the café was nowhere near full, we watched several customers get up and leave without being served. I did speak to the manager who was a lovely young man and he explained they were short staffed, but I think the issue was more to do with the kitchen staff popping out the back every 30 minutes or so for a cigarette
The second morning was much better, but we watched as the young waitress was left alone several times and ended up not only taking orders, delivering food, cleaning tables, carrying dishes, manning the till, making coffee but sweeping up as well.
Would I stay again? Well yes if I couldn’t find anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Skyrosey
Reviewed 4 June 2018

Think Pit-Stop. Think fast & efficient turn round & you are on your way. Think Again!
10 minutes after being given Menus & asked to take a seat, my wife & I were just getting up to leave when a waitress arrived & took our order: 2 coffees & a burger.
20 mins later the burger arrives. 5 mins later after asking where the coffees are... they are not even on the horizon. Many apologies, we no longer want the coffees as we have plans for the afternoon. Time to pay & guess what? There will be no charge for the coffees that we didn't get & we only have to pay the full price for the burger! &..."are you happy with that?" ... what do you think? ... & can you hear yourself?
The Cashier then tried to blame the waitress as it was her first day... I watched her write the order down ... so how many days have these useless clowns been working here? I paid the £8.95 for the burger & fries on principal. A Macdonald's 'Signature Classic' & large fries will set you back £6.40 (highly recommended) ... This lot need so many lessons in catering & customer service I had better leave it here. Awful darling, just Awful!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graham W
Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

We stop here a lot when travelling from Cornwall to see family in Dorset. The breakfasts are good and plentiful and served hot. Once our car broke down outside and staff looked after us while the AA came, even though it was their closing
time.
Recently noted that the toilets have all been refurbished so lovely and clean.
Recommended for a visit.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2017

The location was perfect as we intended to go to Lyme Regis to go fossil hunting - we were maybe 10 minutes drive away. The room (room 2) was basic but did everything you need a room to do for an overnight stay. The room had 2 beds which were clean and comfortable, a tv, free wifi, kettle, a small cupboard with about 6 coat hangers and an en suite which was also clean and soap etc was provided. The heating came on mid evening and stayed on until around 11 it seemed which made the room plenty warm enough. Despite being on the main road, it was surprisingly quiet overnight.

Breakfast was included in the price of the room (a simple full English) which was very tasty. We did eat there on 2 evenings - again, the food was fine albeit simple style (burgers, steak/mixed grill, lasagne and there were sandwiches on the menu). The food service was prompt and the food reasonably good.
The staff all seemed very friendly and helpful.
The parking for the rooms is right outside the room door making it very convenient.

The only downside for me was that the 2 cats we saw walking around in the car park didn't want me to make a fuss of them and kept dodging away.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We use the A35 Pitstop on a regular basis when visiting family. It is always spotlessly clean with lovely fresh linen and towels. The rooms are basic but it does what you need for a stop over. And the beds are very comfortable. The breakfasts have improved greatly since we have been coming here and are now excellent and finally include a glass of orange juice, aswell as a hot drink. Not a big deal you may think but it used to bug me that I had to pay extra for that! The staff are always friendly and helpful and the manager doesn't mind my Dad leaving his car parked there while we go off for the day. With it's easy access to the coast and glorious east Devon countryside, location is excellent too.

Room Tip: Room 1 has a bath.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple