All reviews white lion steep hill one night matlock bath comfortable bed owners sue and john shower cap local pub next morning on arrival fantastic night heights of abraham tea and cake b and b quality bedding smallest room nice pub
Reviewed 22 April 2018

Sue welcomed us warmly. Our room was spotlessly clean and comfortable, with refreshments in the room. Clean, modern en-suite. The breakfast had plenty of choice, and we enjoyed the local produce. The access lane was steep and narrow, but worth it for the views across the valley.

Room Tip: Only three double en-suite rooms available, but well-equipped.(One is a suite).
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2018

Well equipped room with quality bedding. We had the smallest room, which I was aware of and being a petite person it wasn't a problem for me to take the side of the bed with less access. The food and quantities are good. Unfortunately the mattress quality didn't match bedding quality, I could feel springs. For us the breakfast wasn't as we had expected from the reviews: sausages and egg are 'locally sourced' however, we found the eggs weren't tasty, as we have had from friends chickens and the sausages not meaty; as it was wet and cold you needed a warm jumper/fleece when in the dining room; you also need to be reasonable fit as the property is on a very steep road and the parking is just below or just above it. Sue was welcoming and pleasant.

Room Tip: The largest room is at the end of the corridor and also has a view over the valley.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Millie123_12
Reviewed 3 March 2018

The Gables is situated near the top of a very steep lane, but is worth it for the amazing views. Clean, comfortable, friendly service & a delicious breakfast. Only stayed 1 night, would have liked longer as it's a handy location for exploring the area

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

Me and my partner came here for one night for a little christmas getaway. We arrived a little early than the check in time we phoned one of the owners who said we could check in earlier which was great as it was very cold! The owners wasnt there when we checked in and we didnt see one of then until we was going out in the evening he seemed friendly enough but would of been nice to be introduced and asked if we needed anything. We stayed in the dovedale quite small room but very clean and had modern bathroom,had selection of hot drinks and biscuits ,comfy bed..the breakfast was lovely different choices you can tell its good produce used and home cooked. The b&b is up a steep hill abit scary in the winter especially when its been snowing but i wasnt driving and it didnt bother my partner.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lauralovie
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Myself & hubby booked here for my birthday & what a hidden little treasure! The rooms are super comfy & extremely adequate. The short walk to Matlock bath is beautiful (with an essential pub en route!) The breakfast is delicious but what really makes The Gables is the owners. When booking our break we were asked of any dietary requirements. I explained I was vegan buy happy to just take off the meat. When we came to make our breakfast order we learned they had vegan sausages in for me (the always have a veggie option) that made me feel extremely important as a guest.
Would 100% stay here again. The Gables is a real find!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple