All reviews stables bar small decanter of sherry lick of paint a late lunch amazing location fantastic views real ale log burner peak district evening meal booked a table beer garden stayed here for one night little touches great weekend full english viaduct
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I booked a stay with my mum as a bit of a break and overall the stay was a success.

Great location and attentive and friendly staff so why only three stars? Cost is one factor, £155 per night isn’t cheap but if everything was spot on then it would be perfectly acceptable but there were quite a few issues that made this price seem excessive.

The main reception of the hotel and the stairs and passages to the rooms are smart and create the right feeling of quality. The rooms we had were decorated to a good standard and had obviously had some money invested in them. There were some issues though firstly in my room there was a large damp patch or stain in the corner of the wall where the valley gutter had leaked. This was unsightly and surprising in a £155 per night room. Also the lack of an easy chair in the rooms was a surprise. My mums TV fell off the wall during the night which caused her some anxiety (being 86)

The main factor in my three star rating focuses on the public spaces in the hotel. There was no dedicated residents lounge, nowhere to sit in a warm quiet room to read the paper and have a coffee. I would have converted part of the lovely breakfast room into a small lounge where there is a lovely fireplace and carpets and a sense of calm. (The breakfasts were spot on I must add.)

The ‘lounge’ offered is in the large function type room that has no curtains, carpet, real fire or any sense of luxury. The bar area in this room is a little scruffy and the room echos as doors slam and chairs scrape. The exit from this room towards the Stables bar was also shabby with a awkward door handle and poor paintwork.

I only make those criticisms on the basis of the cost of the rooms and food. The prices charged create an expectation of excellence which the hotel fails to meet.

I use hotels a lot for work and at this price even in a major city you get so much more, yes the staff were fantastic and helpful and friendly but the offer of the hotel falls short. The weekend cost over £500 for a two night stay. The food was nice but overpriced (£15 for a rustic shepherds pie served in an enamel dish)

This could be an amazing hotel in an amazing location but at the moment it’s not quite there. Did I mention being charged £4.30 for a pint of bitter shandy!

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

We visited this pub after a long walk and all very hungry. We ordered our food at the bar and then waited and waited and waited. 45 minutes later I went to the bar and asked where our food was. The lady who was very pleasant said “ have you not had it yet” and went off to the kitchen. She came back and said it would be out soon. Another 10 minutes passed and no food. I went back up again and looked through to the kitchen as the lady was busy serving at the bar. Still nothing! I went back to my husband and started having a conversation about what we should do when 2 lady’s came out and delivered the food. I say that because that’s how it felt. No eye contact and no apology. The food was very mediocre. My foster sons roll was very cold and I can only assume had not been defrosted properly. My walnut and mushroom crumble was not as expected. Mushrooms okay but the walnuts whole and very sweet on top did nothing to add to the dish. If they had been busy perhaps I could have given them a better review but they only had four tables occupied. I think as well is we had had an apology from the lady’s in suits ( assume management?) that had brought the food out that would have eased the pain! Not a great experience and I would say to other walkers have a beer then go somewhere else for food.

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed 24 October 2018

Friendly Staff and helpful and friendly breakfast lady. She seemed to be doing all jobs. Breakfast at Monsal Head is very big and delicious; lots of thick toast and plenty of tea. The views as you would expect is amazing from this hotel with a great vantage point. We assume this is why you pay a lot for the room as the bedrooms whilst clean are very much in need of a refurb as is the bathroom. Glasses in the bathroom would be handy when brushing teeth and pillow protectors is a must. Plenty of hot water and lovely towels. The restaurant again is tired and doesn't have any atmosphere - it just seems a large uninviting room. We didn't eat here. There isn't much of a seating area to sit and enjoy a drink in the evening unless you sit at a table.

Room tip: Don't have rooms 1 2 3 as you are over the bar area - although these rooms do have the views.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

Fantastic views. Attentive staff. Fabulous food. Comfortable room needs slight refurbishment. Assorted teas, coffee, water and a decanter of sherry in the room. Well done really enjoyed our stay. Thank you we will be back

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank 124jess2511
Reviewed 22 October 2018

Had a weekend visit in late September. They are dog friendly which matched our needs.

The welcome was warm. The bar/restaurant in the stables was warm and friendly. The food was . . . trying hard to be more upmarket than it was achieving. For example, the Chicken Chasseur was more like Coq Au Vin. As for breakfast, again it was aspiring to be great, but not achieving it - for example, when sugar was asked for the cereal, cubes were initially provided. When we was pointed out it wouldn't work, a bowl of sugar was eventually provided - but it looked like the cubes had just been crushed. Overall the food wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

As for the rooms. They are very dated and tired and in need of a lick of paint/makeover. Our room was at the end of the corridor and had wonderful dual aspect views. The bathroom had flakey paint, dirty sink light and broken blinds. The bed (a double) was soft. Even the "welcome" folder message from the manager was watermarked and faded. Which reflected the whole hotel. Not attention to detail and no monitoring of standards.

The location is the key selling point. And I feel it is riding on that shirt tail. It could be so much more (and it SHOULD be so much more for £110 B&B per room per night!!).

Special mention to the lady who seemed to do everything - waiting, cleaning etc etc. She works her socks off.

Date of stay: September 2018