“Lovely food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2018

We had lunch here and while the menu was limited the quality and presentation of the meals was top notch.

They also do a lovely afternoon tea !

1  Thank LesleyandClive

Reviewed 16 August 2018

Lovely.hotel to visit for lunch had sandwiches and toasties would go again staff very friendly we also had coffee which was very good

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our trip to Bakewell staying at The Rutland Hotel.

The wonderful front of House staff/ Bar/breakfasts were a credit to the Rutland, our meals were OK, could have be better. Disappointing to hearing complaints on the food but we could understand it and felt we were lucky.

The little rooms opposite were nice but the carpet needed a clean. A suggestion that walkers do not wear boots in the rooms, especially as there is a lobby to the rooms opposite the hotel.

Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

We had booked for one night in the courtyard room, we arrived to early for check in so went for lunch. Bakewell is a very pretty town with plenty of pubs to choose from.
Later in the day we got our keys and and went over to our room, both very tired from our long drive we fell onto the bed and relaxed for half hour I then decided to unpack I went into bathroom and noticed there was some toiletries in there i said to hubby he said check the wardrobe when I looked someone’s clothes were hanging up and their suitcase in the bottom !!!!
My husband went over to reception they were not apologetic and moved us to another room.
So be warned it could be very embarrassing.

2  Thank lwebb2017
Reviewed 13 August 2018

This is a review of The Square Restaurant in the hotel rather than the hotel itself.
I was enticed here by the interesting menu on their website which included options such as Charred Asparagus and Pigeon Breast. However when we arrived the menu we were given was much less exciting. I ended up having Cajun Calamari for starter which was ok, although the Calamari did appear to be a simple shove in the oven job and the cajun sauce was for me to strong for seafood. My wife had a greek mixed starter which consisted of olives, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes and croutons. So was essentially a load of stuff from jars with no actual cooking required.
For main we had a steak special offer (as nothing else on the menu really appealed, the Derbyshire Rack of Lamb or Slow Roasted Belly Pork on the website menu were sadly absent from our menu's). This consisted of two steaks, chips, mushrooms and a glass of wine each for £30. We both opted for the rib eye steak, we both found our steaks to be fatty with large pieces of gristle and tough to eat, they also had little flavour, essentially they were cheap poor quality steaks. The chips we not bad, they were from a pack rather than fresh but had been fried rather than cooked in an oven which helped. The michrooms were actually the best part of the dish and were very tasty, I took to eating then with the steak to give it more flavour. Both of our wines (a Shiraz and a Merlot) we disappointing however. We decided to skip desert as the rest of the meal had been so disapointing. The waiter however was very friendly and did an excellent job. Sadly with so many good options in Bakewell I could not recommend this place. While the steak offer was relatively "cheap", its not cheap if the meal is poor and I would much rather spend a little more and have a good meal.