“Excellent location ”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

We had booked for one night in the courtyard room, we arrived to early for check in so went for lunch. Bakewell is a very pretty town with plenty of pubs to choose from.
Later in the day we got our keys and and went over to our room, both very tired from our long drive we fell onto the bed and relaxed for half hour I then decided to unpack I went into bathroom and noticed there was some toiletries in there i said to hubby he said check the wardrobe when I looked someone’s clothes were hanging up and their suitcase in the bottom !!!!
My husband went over to reception they were not apologetic and moved us to another room.
So be warned it could be very embarrassing.

Date of visit: August 2018
2  Thank lwebb2017

Reviewed 13 August 2018

This is a review of The Square Restaurant in the hotel rather than the hotel itself.
I was enticed here by the interesting menu on their website which included options such as Charred Asparagus and Pigeon Breast. However when we arrived the menu we were given was much less exciting. I ended up having Cajun Calamari for starter which was ok, although the Calamari did appear to be a simple shove in the oven job and the cajun sauce was for me to strong for seafood. My wife had a greek mixed starter which consisted of olives, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes and croutons. So was essentially a load of stuff from jars with no actual cooking required.
For main we had a steak special offer (as nothing else on the menu really appealed, the Derbyshire Rack of Lamb or Slow Roasted Belly Pork on the website menu were sadly absent from our menu's). This consisted of two steaks, chips, mushrooms and a glass of wine each for £30. We both opted for the rib eye steak, we both found our steaks to be fatty with large pieces of gristle and tough to eat, they also had little flavour, essentially they were cheap poor quality steaks. The chips we not bad, they were from a pack rather than fresh but had been fried rather than cooked in an oven which helped. The michrooms were actually the best part of the dish and were very tasty, I took to eating then with the steak to give it more flavour. Both of our wines (a Shiraz and a Merlot) we disappointing however. We decided to skip desert as the rest of the meal had been so disapointing. The waiter however was very friendly and did an excellent job. Sadly with so many good options in Bakewell I could not recommend this place. While the steak offer was relatively "cheap", its not cheap if the meal is poor and I would much rather spend a little more and have a good meal.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 15 July 2018

On a roundabout in Bakewell. I visited the bar of the hotel to check out the real ales. It's upmarket. They had 2 local tap beers. I prefered the Red Lion for beers as they had 3 taps

Reviewed 9 July 2018

The proprietor opened the Restaurant for our party of six, and we are glad he did. Excellent food and service in a wonderful, traditional dining room / restaurant overlooking the square. 13.95 for two courses was very good value. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for one night to visit Chatsworth and carry on my road trip. The hotel is set on a small round about in the centre of the town and walking distance to everywhere. I was greeted by a chap in reception who gave me a key, let me know where my room was, offered to carry my bags and pointed out the car park which is across the road.

My room was nicely appointed, very clean, and included (tea and coffee making facilities and an ironing board) the bathroom full of goodies. The towels are fluffy and white.

I had a good walk around the town and as it was so hot, decided on a couple of drinks at the bar and bar food, although there is s restaurant and a sister pizza restaurant next door.

I had a salmon fish cake and chips. Sadly the salmon fish cake had some kind of unadvertised melted white cheese in it (why) and the chips were a bit soggy.

Both locals and tourists seem to use the Rutland which is nice.

Although it’s on a busy road and a sweltering night without aircon I had a great sleep on a comfortable bed and woke refreshed.

Breakfast is included and I had a lovely window seat to enjoy my smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. The breakfast menu is extensive and there is a help yourself continental style offering also included.

The only grip is the mindless radio that plays in the bar and also in the breakfast room. Invest in decent music or please turn it off.

I would stay here again.