“Pleasant enough”

Add it.
The Bakewell Book Shop
Ranked #63 of 91 Restaurants in Bakewell
Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Luckily we only wanted a snack, as anything more e.g. sandwiches didn't appear to be on the menu. We enjoyed Bakewell pudding with clotted cream and scone, jam and cream. Nice, quiet cafe.

Reviewed 9 September 2018

I thought it was really expensive at £7.50 for two coffees, 1 x latte 1 x ordinary coffee. This is the reason I gave the score, the café and coffee was okay, just not the cost.

The place looked nice enough but wasn't busy, one table occupied when I entered the café. I ordered my drinks at the counter and was told drinks would be brought to our table outside. They took quite a while to arrive but the girl appeared to be on her own. She proceeded to put three coffees on out table. I thought she must have thought I ordered three and thought that was the reason for high cost but when I said I had not ordered three, she said she had made it in error and we could have it. We declined as the one cup each was enough.
Pleasant enough girl and café looked ok but as there are lots of other places which sell coffee at more reasonable prices. We were only passing through, so unlikely to be back

Reviewed 11 August 2018

I've read a few negative reviews of the cafe, not the case when we visited.

We sat outside on the bistro tables and ordered tea/cakes. The tea for two was very nice and the cake slices were huge (and tasty!). It wasn't 'cheap' but we felt we got our moneys worth, especially when you consider the portion sizes at Costa etc.

2  Thank Adam S
Reviewed 29 July 2018

The problem with this cafe appears to be lack of training. I had a painful experience of trying to order a simple Americanos with cold milk (the coffe I received contained coffee grains). The lady didn’t appear to understand how to operate the coffee machine correctly - rather than making two coffees simultaneously, she made each one separately, meaning my wait to order was very long. Running a cafe isn’t easy I appreciate that, but with the correct training things could improve dramatically. I don’t think a simple courteous greeting/eye contact isn’t too much to expect but it’s unlikely you’ll get this here. There’s a jar of complimentary bites on the counter to accompany drinks - whether or not you get one is purely random. Teaspoons are placed directly onto trays which need going through the dishwasher. Staff wear gloves, but handle food and money with the same gloves! I’ve been in several times now because I like to support independent businesses, but probably won’t go back. Please help yourselves, by improving the customer experience.

Stephen C, Manager at The Bakewell Book Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2018

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and we respect that, we find it strange that someone who "supports local businesses" chose to criticise us on the internet rather than ask to speak to a manager in house but that's your prerogative.

We do appreciate your previous custom and will take your feedback on board. We wish you all the best for the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

We were looking round the bookshop and noticed the cafe which was quiet and had plenty of empty tables, so decided to stay for lunch. A pleasant assistant was taking orders, preparing and serving food and drinks and periodically disappearing into the kitchen to wash the pots during which time, potential customers walked in then left as there was nobody to serve them.The unfortunate woman was then sent to fetch more provisions from a neighbouring shop. I don't know what happened to the cafe whilst she was missing, as we left at this point. The cafe is nicely presented and the food was fine but I couldn't relax whilst watching the poor assistant juggling so many tasks single handed. Hopefully, it's not always like that.

Thanks for visiting, its nice to read that you've enjoyed your food. Your concern for our a staff is very sweet and we really appreciate your concern for us as a team. The service industry is one that requires a lot of hard work and we're in a very seasonal town where even within one day, you can have very busy and very quiet periods. Whilst it's very nice off you to take such a compassionate outlook we're generally very happy with working life here and (barring the odd hectic moment) we are a very happy team.

Thanks so much for visiting we all hope you had a lovely day in Bakewell.