US$210
Riverside House Hotel(Ashford-in-the-Water)
US$191
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe penthousegarden suiteself cateringcar parkon arrivaldocking stationbeautiful buildingmini kitchenold buildingcommunal loungesmall kitchenettepeak districtlow ceilingssteep hillwifi signalwalk into townbedroom and bathroom
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Booked months in advance through their own website. Turn up to be told they can't find my booking. Stand around for about 20 minutes trying to locate my booking even while I'm showing them the conformation on their website. Still can't find it so they decide to put me in the room I'd payed for, in full, after being told "it isn't ready".

Finally get to the room to be shown around, of which our tour was "here's your kitchen, there's the bedroom, here's an information pack". Shows us the rest of the hotel and then finally they found our booking. No apology, not even an apology that the room wasn't ready, just a "they've found your booking and it has all been paid for" well I knew that!!

After all this the room was a disappointment. 19 channels on the T.V. and some of these are +1s, which makes no sense to me considering I'd paid just under £700 for this room. The bath plug was broken and draining the bath even after a shower was a nightmare. It was advertised on their website that our room came with a DVD and IPOD dock but neither were anywhere to be found. Finally the dishwasher was broken and full of dirty plates from whoever stayed there last. We used it and didn't think to turn the water off and the next day came back to find it had leaked across the floor. It stunk out the whole room after we first put it on from the dirty cutlery left in there and some where still stained so we left them there.

Not worth it and I wouldn't stay again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emily552
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Emily stayed in the Manners Apartment in Bagshaw Hall which is on two levels and has a lounge and open plan full kitchen on the lower level and a double bedroom with a large bathroom en-suite with a full-size bath and a power shower with massive round shower head over the bath on the upper floor.
We think our check-in procedure works very well, as we help our guests with their bags direct from the car to their chosen suite/apartment. We also show them around the historic hall and explain the short-cut to walk into the town. Our information pack provides details of the range of pubs and restaurants in the town along with our recommendations. It also includes a detailed map of the town, which lists Bagshaw Hall amongst the many features of the market town of Bakewell.
I’m not sure what Emily expects when she normally checks into a hotel, the usual approach is you go to the reception, queue up, check-in, collect your key, and are told which floor your room is on and where the lifts are. We provide much more individual guidance to our guests on a personal basis, and as can be seen from other more accurate reviews our staff pride themselves on the friendliness towards our guests, ie nothing is too much trouble.
I would have thought 19 channels on a TV are more than enough plus a DVD player when considering you are staying in the beautiful town of Bakewell close to Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall and all of the attractions in the Peak Park, why would you want to sit inside watching TV anyway?!
No mention was made during Emily’s stay of issues with the bath plug, DVD player iPod dock or the dishwasher, which we would have resolved if it actually was a problem.
We are disappointed that Emily will not return, but we hope she returns to the Peak District to enjoy the countryside and take up walking around the numerous dales available, Monsal Dale, Lathkill Dale, Dove Dale, etc, which are all within easy reach of Bakewell.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

We stayed 3 nights at Bagshaw Hall and loved the situation in Bakewell (very central for walking into the town for restaurants) but also very quiet. This is a very old building (17th century) and has lots of interesting features - inevitably the age means there are very thick walls (affecting the wifi signal) and some steep stairs so elderly or less fit visitors should book on the phone to discuss the accessibility of the various suites. I stayed in the Garden Suite and it suited me very well - comfy bed with good quality linen, small shower room and all very clean - well done Linda and co! Serviced daily with fresh towels, tea/coffee tray. The Garden suite is below ground level accessed by some stone steps from the front garden and felt very secluded. Low doorway to get in (duck or grouse, and I'm only 5'4) The window has views of the trees - for a lovely view over Bakewell, just take your tea out to the table on the terrace. I imagine that suites on the main level will have higher ceilings and doorways so book one of those if you prefer. Bagshaw Hall was the perfect base for our visit to Chatsworth House and Flower Show - about 10 minutes' drive, even on show days. We ate at Piedaniels, Fischers at Baslow and Rajas Indian Restaurant - all very good in their own way. I would certainly stay here again but if travelling as a couple I would book a suite with a larger bathroom. This is not a hotel so let them know your time of arrival and Linda will no doubt be there to give you a warm welcome and show you to your room as she did for us.

Room Tip: Phone to discuss your requirements - access, size of bathroom etc.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thankyou for your support of our hard work at Bagshaw Hall to make our guests comfortable and at ease. Linda will particularly appreciate your kind comments.
As you have suggested, we would always advise people to contact us by phone so that we can establish the best suite in Bagshaw Hall to suit their needs, as with the nature of the 350-year-old historic building we have a wide range of opportunities.
We look forward to seeing you again Trish.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

Wonderful hotel in the middle of Bakewell but far enough away from the centre to be peaceful. Fantastic old building originally belonging to a local solicitor. We had the Penthouse Suite which was luxuriously fitted out with a great view over Bakewell and the surrounding hills. We walked to Chatsworth about 3 miles to visit the house. It is a lovely walk.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I like your title Paul and I need not say any more, other than it is nice to be appreciated and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the Penthouse.
We look forward to seeing you again Paul.

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

This place has it all, 10 out of 10 for everything.
We where greeted by Linda who was welcoming and lovely. Shown to our amazing room and she also told us the quickest way to get in to the town.
The room it’s self has to be the cleanest room we have ever stayed in. Not a spec of dust anywhere and every thing you will ever need for a great stay is in the room.
We stayed in the Bagshaw suite and it really does have the wow factor.
The bed in the room was like sleeping on a cloud and I had the best nights sleep I have had in years.
The town is a few minutes away but far enough away that you don’t get any noise and the view from the garden is lovely.
The staff clearly work very hard as the whole place is spotless and kept to a very high standard and even when clearly very busy they where all very friendly and welcoming.
I can not wait to come back to bagshaw hall.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

What a wonderful heading! And particularly coming from your trip from Alabama.
Linda prides herself on the cleanliness of our suites. Her favourite job is re-arranging the scatter cushions on the bed until perfect!
The hard work of our staff is obviously working and your appreciation makes it worthwhile.
We shall hopefully see you again.

Reviewed 25 May 2018

My son in law booked two rooms at Bagshaw arms through booking.com for two nights, one for himself, my daughter and baby grand daughter and one for myself, my husband and younger daughter.

During our stay on the second night my husband lifted an old bedside table lamp gently to place it away from the edge of the bedside table where it was positioned to ensure it was away from the edge of the table. However, as he gently lifted the old, fragile lamp a piece that was already cracked broke in his hand.

I genuinely forgot to inform the manager as it was a very busy weekend being my grand daughter's christening. The hotel was not cheap. I was charged an additional £20 per night for a blow up bed for my 12 year old daughter and I was not able to access the wardrobe due to the bed being in front of it.

When I returned home I received a telephone call from the manager regarding the lamp. I apologised and informed her that I had genuinely forgot to tell her about the lamp with the busy weekend that she was fully aware of. I explained that it was already cracked and broke in my husband's hand. The manager Georgina informed that she would enquire how much it would cost to repair and E - mail me.

I did not receive any communication from Georgina by E mail or telephone regarding the lamp until today when she sent an E - mail to my daughter and son in law to inform them that she had debited their account with £50 for the lamp with my agreement.

I have contacted booking . com today to raise a complaint and the customer adviser was very good. She apologised and refunded a £12.60 transaction charge that was also charged to my son in laws account due to the payment being taken by credit card, with out permission, as the manager of Bagshaw arms already had my son in laws card details, as he had originally booked the hotel. Booking .com advised that Bagshaw arms should have refunded the £12.60 and of course the manager refused to refund the charge when approached by booking.com. I was advised that without the agreement of the card holder and myself they should not have taken the £50 that was not even discussed. The lamp was old and already cracked and I would not have agreed to pay £50. The manager of Bagshaw arms also informed the customer services adviser from booking.com that if I had informed her and apologised about the lamp she would not have charged me. I can not believe it I genuinely explained to her what happened and apologised to her that I had forgot to mention it and why. Obviously she would have noticed it later anyway and I did not deny that it had broken and how it had happened. I would have agreed to pay a small contribution of around £20 as a good will gesture.

PLEASE BE WARNED THE MANAGER GEORGINA AT BAGSHAW ARMS WITHDRAWS MONEY FROM OTHER PEOPLE'S BANK ACCOUNTS WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
8  Thank Nadia L
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

First of all, we are not sure where “Bagshaw Arms” comes from, we are not a pub!

This review is simple to answer and is based completely on the fact that Wendy & Pete knocked a bedside lamp off the table and the glass stem was broken into several pieces and they were not honest about what had happened!
Not only did Wendy not report the breakage, but she then tried to hide the fact by putting several pieces of the broken glass stem at the bottom of the waste bin bag under all the general rubbish, presumably hoping we would throw it away with the rest of the rubbish without noticing.

These table lamps are expensive and were purchased from “Heathfields” who work with all top class hotels. The price of the replacement lamps are £399.00 each, and as the original lamp design has now changed we shall need to purchase a matching pair so this is going to cost us £798.00.

We think we are being very reasonable in this case charging only £50 against what this is actually going to cost to replace something broken by a guest. We have discussed this with booking.com and they agree that our approach is reasonable. We try to be reasonable in any situation such as this where damage is caused to our property by guests.

In this case where a guest has apparently deliberately tried to hide the damage and has not even bothered to mention it until we actually made contact, then we feel that this guest should be ashamed that they then go to Trip Advisor to try and justify their actions.

We have had guests who only break a wine glass and mention it to us and want to pay for a replacement, which of course we accept as an accident with no charge, mainly because of their honesty!!

It is also worth noting that Wendy forgot to pay for her room and we had to phone her twice to request payment, which we eventually received 3 weeks after she stayed.