Bagshaw Hall
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe penthousegarden suiteself cateringcar parkon arrivalkitchen areacommunal loungemini kitchenbeautiful buildingold buildingsmall kitchenettepeak districtlow ceilingssteep hillshort walktown centrestunning views
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2017

We stayed here for 2 nights and found the building very beautiful and the rooms comfortable. But they let themselves down as our room was the basement garden room which has low ceilings which were not told about and the wc is a saniflo (pumped away) which comes with a list of rules and a notice you may be charged if for any reason it becomes blocked. Also shower door didn’t close properly and kept coming open while in shower. They advertise Wi-fi but we couldn’t get it in our room.

Room Tip: If you are over 6ft tall beware garden room has low ceilings
Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul E
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

We are pleased Paul found Bagshaw Hall very beautiful and the rooms comfortable.
I am 6’ 2” tall and don’t find the 7’ 6” high ceiling to be too low.

The Garden Room Suite has the major advantage of an outside door leading directly out to the front garden and terrace areas.

The en-suite shower room had to be on a commercial Saniflow pump due to it being located on the lower ground floor. The notice not to block the toilet is as a result of some guests not understanding and putting wipes down the toilet which blocks the pump resulting in an expensive call out to the plumber.

We shall check the shower door to make sure it closes.

We have multiple wi-fi boosters located throughout the hall to make sure the wi-fi signal reaches every room, despite the exceptionally thick walls of the 350-year-old listed building to keep up with modern technology for our guests. We also have a lounge where guests can access the internet and work or relax.

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed in the Sleep Lodge adjoining Bagshaw Hall. Very comfortable. Dining room provided extra space. Comfy bed, hot hot water, power shower, controllable heating, fire extinguisher, fire blanket, well equipped kitchen. Andrew is a sweetheart. Very obliging. Only downside is outdoor lighting. Various steps, uneven ground and puddles make it perilous walking to car park. We are assured this is being rectified. If so, all good.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2017

We have just returned from a two night stay in the sleep lodge. The staff were extremely helpful from the moment we arrived..... A lovely young man carried our bags to our room and explained about the hotel and local area including recommended restaurants.
We initially struggled to connect to the wifi but he couldn't have been more helpful in getting us sorted!
We had a hot cooked breakfast brought to our room in the morning which we couldn't fault.
The room was extremely spacious and clean.
We would definately return.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

The hotel is fine, staff are good but we had apartment and the bathroom and bedroom upstairs.The bed was poor, the mattress as had it, gave me back trouble in the morning you kept rolling to the centre of the bed.
Couldn't open the window in the bedroom and this is a fire hazard.If there was a fire you would be trap as you couldn't get out.
The TV in the lounge was old picture kept breaking up, with the price of the hotel you thought they would have a good TV in a self catering apartment.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

We are pleased to hear the hotel is fine and that our staff are good.

The mattresses are changed regularly to medium-firm hotel quality, to suit most peoples comfort. We shall check this bed in relation to comfort and replace the mattress as required.

The window in the bedroom is on the second floor with fantastic views of the town. Being an original stone mullioned window; It is far too small for anyone to climb out of except for a small child. I design hotels through my design practice and can confirm that this is definitely not a “fire hazard”, and that the building complies with the fire regulations. There are two escape routes from this room with one available at the bottom of the stairs.

The TV’s are updated on a regular basis and this TV has now been changed.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

On the 18 of August I booked a room for two nights: the 22nd and the 23rd, and on the 20th of August, I called to inform them that due to a change of travel time, I had to cancel my booking for one of the nights (the 22nd). The lady who talked to me was not very clear of which day I would arrive at the very beginning but then after several explanations she finally agreed to sort it out for me. With this assurance, I booked another hotel for the 22nd of August. When I arrived at Bakewell on the 23rd of August , the receptionist asked us for the reason we were absent on the 22nd. I immediately told her that I had called to cancel that booking. The next day, another lady questioned me about the cancellation call I made, and I had to explain yet again. When I was checking out, another receptionist asked me about this call, and I showed her the call records in my phone as proof. She took a screenshot of my phone, but neglected to mention that they had actually charged me for the night that I had called to cancel by credit card. One day after I left the hotel, I received an email informing me that I have been charged for the night that I have cancelled. Their reason was that they had been fully booked on that night and and were turning away guests... this is ridiculous. Why didn't they inform me that the booking I had supposedly cancelled would still be charged? Why did they not inform me that they had charged my credit card while I was still in the hotel? In their confirmation, they mentioned that they were flexible with cancellation, and as long as the hotel is not fully booked on the day of cancellation, there is no charge. This clearly goes against their reassurances, and I would not recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

This guest phoned to cancel with only 30 hours notice. She booked through an agent that offered free cancellation up to 2 weeks before arrival. She had also received our confirmation email which clearly explains that you need to give 2 weeks notice to cancel free of charge. So she was fully aware that by canceling with such short notice she would incur a charge for the room. However, had we been able to sell the room for the night she canceled we would not have charged her, but 1 day was not enough notice and her room remained empty when we had been turning away bookings for up to a week before.