1,236 results
All reviews the main house new building quirky hotel david bailey guinea fowl roll top bath course meal kippers food was lovely two night stay country house beautiful grounds artwork photographs geese quirkiness victorian
Reviewed 14 September 2018

What a place! Almost a gothic horror! Totally off the wall decor and artefacts. Stuffed birds, stags heads, statues, art and photos of the great, the good and the famous. Four very comfortable lounges. The grounds were fascinating with paths wandering in all directions, pigs, chickens, geese and ducks to be seen. A bench would have proved an added bonus because the views are fantastic. The food was good but not exceptional except for the chocolate mousse! Daisy, our waitress was delightful. She was thoughtful, courteous and could not have been more helpful, she was the star of the hotel. Our room was in Treetops and was spacious, comfortable with a big bathroom with bath and walk in shower and the squishiest pillows I have ever slept on! Now for the down side! The darkness in the hotel itself was awful! Guests were using their mobile phones to illuminate their menus as there was only candle light, the dining room was also very cold and although staff attempted to get the heating to work they were unable to do so. The trip hazards from small steps, large tables and an enormous log basket in the corridors was dangerous. 'Elf n'safety would have a field day. My husband has poor sight and felt nervous and unsteady finding his way around. The darkness also stopped you from appreciating the art works, especially in the lounges. If you are stopping in Treetops, take a torch, as the driveway to it is basically unlit. On asking the receptionist if she had a torch she said 'no and we must get this light fixed over the front door!' We asked a member of staff why it was all so dark and were told 'because Marco likes it like this!' Well maybe he ought to consider his guests welfare!

Room Tip: If in Treetops take a torch!
1  Thank NinaG68
Reviewed 12 September 2018

Whilst the setting was very nice and the rooms were okay, the one thing that stands out was how rude a certain person was. This we found out was the son of the owner!
I would never stay there again and that is a shame because if it wasn't for him we would have had a pleasant stay. The real unfortunate part is that we had arranged for this to be a special weekend for our good friends, who don't have the opportunely very often to get away due to a young family. He let the brand down badly and spoke to our wife's (in our absence) totally unacceptable and if I had found out at the time I would have confronted him! The rating purely due down to him!!

Room Tip: Don't go while he is anything to do with the place!
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank terry c
Reviewed 11 September 2018

We had a dinner, bed and breakfast voucher and were really looking forward to our stay until we checked out some of the reviews which got us very worried but a helpful email from the hotel with a sample menu eased our worries and then our experience made a nonsense of some of the bad reviews.

On arrival we received a very warm welcome and were shown around the various rooms in the main house before being shown to our room in the Treetops building, adjacent to the main house which had its own parking spaces outside.

Our room was lovely and large with a view of the main house and the bathroom was very clean with an excellent shower. The bed and pillows were extremely comfy if a bit on the small side but we both had an excellent nights sleep with the comfy bed and quiet surroundings.

The TV was far too small to be able to watch from the bed and as it was a double room it could have done with 2 easy chairs rather than just the one. There were great books around the room and I managed to find time to browse a number of them.

There was a coffee making machine in the room but for some strange reason you had to request tea bags but the cups were espresso size!

Breakfast was served in the main restaurant and we were immediately severed with orange juice - not freshly squeezed though - whilst we decided what to have. I went for the sausages, home produced beans and sourdough toast which was very good but we did have to wait about 20-30 minutes for the food to arrive. The toast was good as was the tea and the service was faultless.

Our experience of the hotel & food was great and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and thought it excellent value - especially with the excellent meal in the restaurant the previous evening

3  Thank John_The_Miner
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

Lovely, relaxing, informal lounge rooms, amazing, personal collection of photographs, a vast collection of statues, stuffed animals, paraphernalia throughout the whole hotel. We had a romantic dinner in the candlelit dining room. A quirky stay that completely recharged our batteries. Lovely grounds to walk around stopping to say hi to the pigs, sheep and chickens. The staff were super friendly and helpful. I even managed to borrow and read a whole book whilst I was there. Would highly recommend.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wendyhutt
Reviewed 10 September 2018

My husband booked the accommodation for our 41st wedding anniversary which also
co- insides with a RAF Rudloe manor sq get together. The place is different which we loved and the grounds. we invited some friends back for dinner, If you are a steak/ meat eater you will love it but being the only vegetarian in the group there was only one dish! a whole plate of Beetroot, the main was like semolina, yuck! the pudding was fruit with elderberries and just warm with clotted cream on top! I could hardly eat any of my meal and made me ill all night so very disappointed. If we did not have friends with us we would have walked out. we could not get the coffee machine to work in the room, No tea only coffee. there was no phone in the room and you had to walk up the drive to the main reception. I feel the set price for the evening meal was far too expensive. I would eat out in future. my recommendations: put on more vegetarian food on the menu, put a kettle with tea/coffee making facilities, put in a phone. please , please, being a celeb chief I expected more! very disappointed wedding anniversary for me.

3  Thank sue G