All reviews mulberry restaurant oval room outdoor pool rasul mud treatment steam room relaxation room roll top bath afternoon tea deluxe room tennis courts secret escapes country house hotel cream tea large bathroom the main house free standing bath lovely grounds
Reviewed 13 December 2016 via mobile

As part of a birthday gift I treated my other half to a night away! We were going to Longleat to feed the tigers and this seemed a good place to stay. We were not disappointed as so much about it was very good - but some TLC will help.

Arriving at about 15.30 our arrival was good. We were warmly welcomed and our bags were taken to our room - Weymouth! HUGE!

A quick tour of the room - yes it is that big and then to the bar for a quick drink before heading off to the Spa area for a swim.

Dinner was booked for 8 so at 19.45 we returned to the bar - and it took a while for us to be served. Orders for food and wine were taken and we went to the dining room.

The food was very good. I had to ask for bread - annoying! And the pace was quite fast - plates were cleared instantly and the next course delivered.

A good nights sleep was followed by an excellent breakfast - the sausages are amazing!

So why TLC - the curtains in our room were coming off, the basins were different colours, a lick of paint is needed. The Spa steam room was closed and the tropical shower not working correctly.

Many of the staff appeared new - established staff were easy to spot and perhaps a better training regime is needed. Staff blocked our exit from the restaurant and that should not happen!

Overall I am probably harsh with the rating and would love to give it 3.5 stars because so much was good!

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2016

This isn't a bad hotel but small details let it down. It's an impressive looking building and has a welcoming lobby. So here's our experience ... we arrived around 6.40pm to a dimly lit car park. We had been to see the illuminations at Longleat and had booked a table in all day dining for 7.30pm. When we checked in we were told in no uncertain terms that our booking had been changed to 7.15pm as they were very busy and had coaches arriving! So no chance for a leisurely shower/get ready/put our feet up for a while. At £255 a night it was a somewhat annoying start. The room was nicely decorated and large and warm with a decent sized bed and a nice tea/coffee tray - so far so good. The bathroom also a good size - but I must admit the spare toilet roll placed on the toilet brush stand isn't a good move - not very hygienic! The shower did not have a door/wall to one side so the water splashed over the floor. Also no shelf anywhere in the shower so nowhere to put any shampoo or gel etc.
We went to dinner and were shown into the a la carte restaurant (not the all day dining conservatory). We didn't realise until we saw the menu and were already seated. However, we liked the Christmas menu so decided to stay put. The table was separated by a low partition so the people on the next table were very close and we could hear all their conversation throughout the meal (at breakfast we were given the same location and asked to move to the window). The staff all seem new - in fact we were told by a few of them that they had only just started. They were keen but made a few mistakes. Taking away our glasses when we had ordered wine. Bringing the wrong wine etc. (At breakfast they tried to give someone the Christmas menu). Not big issues but all take away a bit from the professionalism of the place.
The breakfast choice wasn't bad and the cooked breakfast was tasty. Overall I'm not sure it was worth the hefty price for one night. I'd say - take the price down a notch or improve the small details.

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2016

We had to stay in the area,not for work nor leisure.
The hotel has everything one expects these days,we had one of the smaller rooms, but it was fine,lovely big bathroom,the power shower did lack "power".
Beautiful grounds to stroll around, lovely swimming pool,if you like that sort of thing(,one niggle that local children still in the pool after 6 and the adults came in to collect them with their dirty shoes walking around the pool)
Breakfast,fine,toast arrives with the drinks, so by the time the cooked breakfast is served the toast is cold and hard.
The food served during the day is very limited for Vegetarians,a little expensive,but you are paying to have it in lovely surroundings. I have never paid so much, £6.50, for ice cream. Three of the smallest spoonfuls, I have ever seen, perfect for a toddler!
Very friendly staff,always very helpful and smiley.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2016

We arrived as a group for a hen party and I can only write a review on behalf of myself.

Firstly the positive. The room was fantastic ! Fabulous in fact. We were allocated a suite which was sumptuous and grandeur. We had a corner sofa, a book on world knowledge, a wet room inc huge bath, two showers and a loveliness of ladybirds. They were cute and I guess not a lot you can do about them. I'd always wondered where they hibernate in the Winter.I felt comforted knowing that the room was warm enough for ladybirds to hibernate in and so was good enough for me for one night.

Then we stepped outside our hotel room....

There were a lot of niggles in the hotel...which when you have spent £180 a head (inc evening meal) are worth mentioning. They're 180 quid worth mentioning. Let's start with the outside pool. The hotel advertises (boasts) it has an indoor and outdoor pool - it's their piece de resistance if you like...(its not) . We as a group do a lot of mud runs and so are used to slime, dirt, jumping through fire, dead frogs slugs in your knickers even rats...(disclaimer- there were no rats in the pool) but even we didn't want our cozzies filthy- it was after all a spa weekend. We wanted to be clean and pampered. A member of our group did complain and she received an email to say the pool was 'swept' of the leaves every morning. Hmmm. He or she should work for Tough Mudder.
It was warm(ish) though (when you'd had a wee) so let's be thankful for small mercies and had it been clean of the leaves this would have been a nice little gem.

The indoor pool and jacuzzi were ok...nowt special but at least they weren't full of dead frogs.

The steam room and sauna on the other hand needed a good steam ! Slime on the walls (I hope it was slime) and several of the mosaic tiles on the seating area were missing meaning a sore bum when wearing your speedos if you get snagged.

There's a quiet room.

We had a treatment each...and I had the pleasure of Sonya for a facial. She was good. Once I'd found her. The layout of the Hotel is a mess. I can't sugar coat it..it's a mess. Poor signage- there's old bits built onto new bits built onto old bits and you have to get through the new bits to get to the old bits to get back to the new bits and .......you get it. A GPS on check-in would have been useful.

We didn't make use of the main dining area- this may have something to do with us all being in tigger onesies and so were segregated from the normal people -but I think this was a mistake....it's not the Ritz and I'm unsure why you would pay £180 (each) a night for these amenities unless you were in a tigger onesie.

The final comment is that the food was scrumptious and I think we all agreed on this.

So all in all...not alot for your money..I forgot to say it's £45 for a bottle of prosecco.

Would I go back ? Probably not- there are better Spa Hotels out there. But it was a fabulous party with friends.

Room tip: Wear a Tigger Onesie
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

We decided to lengthen our weekend away to Devon with a stop half way at this hotel as it was my husbands birthday on a late offer for DB & B. The reception staff were very friendly & we were shown to our room in the stable block immediately. The room was nicely laid out and we had a free standing bath which was lovely. We headed straight to the spa, for a swim jacuzzi and sauna. Dinner was superb & we had the A la Carte menu, although I believe there was another menu as we could see by the type of food being served. Service was great & we had further drinks in the lounge after dinner. Only problem for us was the walls & ceiling seemed very thin as we could hear people walking around at 7am. Would stay here again, maybe in a different room upstairs as we are not early risers.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple