“A very special birthday celebration”
Review of Auberge du Lac

Auberge du Lac
Reserve with OpenTable
Auberge du Lac is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Price range: US$50 - US$113
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Rail: Welwyn Garden City
Description: Auberge du Lac, Hertfordshire's award-winning restaurant, is set in the magnificent parkland of the Brocket Hall Estate in Welwyn. A former Hunting Lodge dating back to 1760, Auberge du Lac sits proudly alongside the water's edge in its own peaceful environment, overlooking the splendour of the Estate. Timeless elegance will surround you, enabling you to relax and enjoy our fine wines and superb dishes. Under the expert guidance of Executive Chef Phil Thompson, Auberge du Lac, the Estate's former 18th Century Hunting Lodge, has gained a national reputation as one of the most interesting out-of-London restaurants in the country. With private dining for up to 62 guests, Auberge du Lac can also be the ideal wedding venue only 22 miles from London.
Reviewed 29 August 2018

Everything about the evening was special - from the setting, to the dining room, the service and the food. It’s refreshing to see a restaurant where the tables aren't crammed in cheek to jowl to maximise profits. It made for a beautiful relaxed dining room with superb views over the grounds and lake. Similarly the service was a well judged balance of relaxed informality with utterly correct service.

However, for me, it was the food that made the evening. My starter of Weymouth crab was to die for - the delicate flavour of the crab really coming through, and the wow factor of the brown meat “cracker”. My main course of saddleback pork was beautifully cooked and full of flavour. The crackling was suitably crunchy, although I did get a rather strong salt hit from one of them.

The pace of the meal was just right. The restaurant also rustled up a lovely birthday cake, which looked like a solid block of chocolate but was surprisingly light and delicate. All in all, a lovely place for a special occasion, and one that I would thoroughly recommend.

1  Thank Wozzaaah
BrocketHallEstate, Manager at Auberge du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Hi, thank you very much for your kind words, we're so pleased you had an enjoyable experience. I will pass your comments on to the team! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 August 2018

We decided not to have the fixed price menu because the choice was somewhat limited for a 5 star restaurant and this turned out to be a mistake as our final bill for lunch for four persons was almost £400.
The Venue is stunning with superb views over the lake towards the club house with plenty of wildlife to watch if the conversation stalls (fortunately ours didn't) There was also a pre-marriage hen party enjoying lunch which was quite interesting.
The food was very good, the service attentive but not overpowering, the room tastefully decorated and the overall ambiance impressive.
A lovely restaurant for an important event or to really impress someone special, but not for a run of the mill lunch with friends as there are other high class venues not too far away offering better value for money.
and the chairs comfortable

1  Thank Beverly O

Hi Beverly, Thank you so much for your kind words. It's a pleasure to hear such glowing feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

I have always been impressed by Auberge and today’s family celebration lunch was no exception. The location is beautiful - by a lake, with beautiful gardens surrounding the venue.

The service was excellent - the staff being polite, warm and efficient, yet not intrusive.
The food was outstanding - a very good choice on the Table d’hote menu and is incredible value for money.

One of our party has quite a few dietary requirements and he was so impressed with the menu provided for him - no mean feat!

It was my mother’s birthday - I hadn’t told the staff, yet they had remembered from previous years and brought a beautifully piped message and chocolates - my mother was thrilled.

Two of our party particularly enjoyed the Cornish Mackerel, which they said was complemented by the lovely, piquant sauce.

I loved the chicken - which was beautifully cooked. My daughter is a vegetarian and adored the gnocchi with broccoli - she said it was absolutely delicious.

I cannot recommend Auberge enough. Well done to the excellent staff and our compliments to the chef!

2  Thank LinziB935

Hi Linzi, Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your Auberge du Lac experience and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

Certainly a 5 star experience at a 5 star restaurant. From the stunning lakeside location and the fabulous food to the amazing wait staff who went above and beyond. I couldn’t have ask for a more memorable and wonderful way to spend my 21st birthday. I would like to thank Matt and his team at the Auberge du Lac for serving my mum and I with delicious food, (in particular I loved the blow torch smoked eel, the confit duck leg ballotine and the key lime pie) and the lovely service we received. I would absolutely recommend dining there 10/10.

2  Thank kelzrox

Hi, Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your Auberge du Lac experience and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

Four ladies for lunch wanting the fixed price menu. The choice was just three items at each course and unfortunately for one of our party hadn't changed since the week previously. But it was all delicious and delightfully served by lovely staff. The portions don't look very big but my large appetite was well satisfied. The quality of the cooking was very good, and I loved the little extra amuse bouche and petit fours. We'll undoubtedly return to this beautiful restaurant in such a fabulous setting.

2  Thank 666Suzi666

Hi Suzi, Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your Auberge du Lac experience and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.