“Rudest and most unprofessional staff I've encountered - Ever!”
Review of Auberge du Lac

Auberge du Lac
Reserve with TopTable
Auberge du Lac is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Price range: US$51 - US$117
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Rail: Welwyn Garden City
Description: Auberge du Lac, Hertfordshire's award-winning restaurant, is set in the magnificent parkland of the Brocket Hall Estate in Welwyn. A former Hunting Lodge dating back to 1760, Auberge du Lac sits proudly alongside the water's edge in its own peaceful environment, overlooking the splendour of the Estate. Timeless elegance will surround you, enabling you to relax and enjoy our fine wines and superb dishes. Under the expert guidance of Executive Chef Phil Thompson, Auberge du Lac, the Estate's former 18th Century Hunting Lodge, has gained a national reputation as one of the most interesting out-of-London restaurants in the country. With private dining for up to 62 guests, Auberge du Lac can also be the ideal wedding venue only 22 miles from London.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked a table for my mother’s birthday around a week ago, I had a call late afternoon yesterday to confirm the booking. We arrived last night to 2 slightly confused front of house, after asking whether we'd like to sit and have a drink or be sat at our table, we said we'd be happy to drink at the table... so they took us to the drinks room! After explaining again that we’ll go straight to our table, we were walked down to the restaurant, we gave our name to the 2 ladies who shuffled papers for a while before saying "no, you've booked a table of 2"
I explained that I didn't, there has always been 4 of us, I booked a table for 4. "No you didn't, it says 2 here!" - Showing me her sheet of paper. "you can sit in the back room" (dark room with no windows & no other guests). We’ve been to Auberge du Lac many times over the last 10 years and part of the appeal is the nice views.
We said we wanted to eat in the restaurant and there were plenty of free tables only to be told very abruptly "Those tables are for other customers that have booked"! (as if we’d just walked in demanding a table without a reservation).

By this point I was a bit taken back at how rude she was being, my wife explained that it was her mother in laws birthday and we'd like to sit in the restaurant rather than the back room, she said she'd get the manager.

The manager came and told us we'd booked for 2 people and that they called that morning and I confirmed 2 people, I questioned whether he was certain someone called that morning and he said “yes” (they hadn't, they called at 4pm so I knew he couldn’t have been certain), I asked if he was certain that they had confirmed 2 guests with me and he said “yes”, I said "You heard him do that"? - He said "No but I believe my staff"!

I asked if he was suggesting that I was just lying and he replied "Yes, I believe my staff"

So we walked out! - We literally couldn't of experienced ruder, more condescending behaviour. We left completely bewildered by what had just happened, at no point did we raise our voices or cause a fuss we were just genuinely in shock at how we were being spoken to and accused of lying! I’ve no idea why they would think anyone would book a table for 2 and turn up with 4! Any other restaurant would have simply explained that there had been some kind of misunderstanding and try to accommodate us, if they had been polite and tried to rectify the situation we’d have most probably agreed to go in the back room but we were being accused of lying within minutes of arriving and by more than 1 member of staff!

4  Thank Joe S
BrocketHallEstate, Director of Operations at Auberge du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Joe,

Please accept our sincere apologies for this less than satisfactory experience at Auberge du Lac. Rest assured we are running a full investigation and will revert directly to you via email.

Once again, our sincere apologies to you and your party, we pride ourselves on not only the finest cuisine but the highest levels of service which on this occasion appear to have been lacking.

Kindest regards,

Paul Hackett
Director of Operations

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had a beautiful dinner with family for my daughter’s birthday. The food from the limited Table d’Hote menu was universally excellent. But it’s the added little touches which really make a difference. Amuse Bouche, superb butter with the bread and each member of the waiting staff wishing my daughter a happy birthday at different times.

The wine was excellent and not restrictively expensive.

Head chef Matt is not only a genius in the kitchen but a genuinely nice bloke who really welcomes all feedback.

Honestly for £39 a head a three course meal of this quality is just amazing. I’m a fan. And the setting on an early summer evening is just gorgeous.

1  Thank Ian A
BrocketHallEstate, Manager at Auberge du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Ian, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Auberge du Lac experience and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The food is exceptional, Michelin standard in my view, the service very good, and the view exceptional. Flavours, texture, and presentation all so good.

1  Thank DinerHerts

Hi, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Auberge du Lac experience and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Unfortunately the weather did not do this idyllic setting justice on our visit to Auberge, but it didn’t effect the food or service that’s for sure!

We were warmly welcomed at the entrance and taken into a very cosy lounge with a lovely open fire roaring away. Here we were served with a pre dinner drink and a small appetiser.

We were then taken downstairs to the dining area which overlooks a lake and the Brocket Hall estate, beautiful!

The service staff were all very knowledgeable, friendly and attentive.

We chose of the A la carte menu and started with the crab, which was amazing. I then had the beef for my main course, which was just as good! We chose a selection of desserts between us, all of which were delicious aswell!

All in all, it was a lovely dining experience and I would highly recommend a visit!!

1  Thank Paul K
BrocketHallEstate, Manager at Auberge du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Paul, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Auberge du Lac experience and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our first visit( for lunch) as we were staying with a dear friend in nearby St Albans. You could not wish for a more grandiose location and view. After drinks and canapes in the bar/lounge we were led downstairs to a dining room. I am not sure if their is a lift for those unable to negotiate the stairs.
We were shown to our table with a pristine white cloth but with only side plates and water glasses on it! Part of fine dining is usually accompanied by a perfectly laid and traditional table setting.Each courses cutlery arrived with the food.
We were going to sample the lunchtime three course table d'hote menu. However none of the 3 main course items shown, appealed, so we had no option but to eat off the a la carte menu at considerably greater cost.
That food was beautifully presented and showed great skill in the cooking, and was deftly served by young waitresses. The only slight complaint being a dessert which had Honeycomb in its title but only featured 2 tiny pieces on the plate!
All in all a good visit but the unlaid table spoilt the overall effect.

Hi Colin, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Auberge du Lac experience and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.