“Second visit this year and it’s hit and miss”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #11 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Whether you pop in for a scrumptious Sunday roast, a tempting dessert to satisfy your cravings for a sweet treat, or a celebratory meal with family and friends, you’re sure to find everything you need in The Red Lion. With its delicious menus, stylish yet comfortable interiors, and friendly atmosphere, you’ll be able to dine and indulge in the optimum style and comfort. Set outside Welwyn Garden City, just on the edge of Sherradspark Woods, the picturesque countryside setting adds yet another attractive dimension to this family orientated pub. Bursting with character and charm in every corner, whether you choose to drink or dine with us, you’re sure to leave with a smile in your face. We’re also a child friendly pub, so please feel free to bring your little ones along – they’ll love tucking into our dedicated children’s menu.
Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to the red lion twice this year. The first time, service was a little slow, but friendly and fairly efficient. I ordered a cocktail which failed to arrive until after my meal which was a little disappointing.

The most recent experience, however, was very disappointing. The food, as always, was excellent. I had the burger and loved it as I always do, and the starters were wonderful. The service was friendly, but extremely slow. A lady, who I believe was the manager on shift, tried to clear my plates then realised I was still picking at my food and wasn’t yet finished. About 3 minutes later, I was finished and nobody came to clear the table. I work in a restaurant down the road myself so I thought I’d give them some time, however there were only 4 other tables in the restaurant and they were not exactly busy as it was a tuesday night. After 20 minutes had passed, our plates were still on the table and we wanted some drinks. I went up to the bar to order them and explained politely to the manager that we had been waiting almost 25 minutes for our plates to be cleared. She then explained how “she did try to clear them but we weren’t finished”, which wasn’t the point I was trying to make and it was that after I had finished eating it still took another 20 minutes for nobody to come over so I had to order my drinks at the bar.

Kindly enough we were given our drinks for free and I appreciate that although the service continued to be fairly slow.

I really like the Red Lion and the food is wonderful but returning is debatable as the service hasn’t been great on my last few visits.

General Manager A, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Hi, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. We are disappointed to hear that you are not satisfied with your visit.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

3 of us meet for a catch-up lunch every 6 weeks and due to our locations this is where we Meet sadly.

Out of the 5 occasions there was only 1 time we enjoyed our dining experience.

1st: outside dining,filthy tables and paved area having to get own cutlery,condiments which are a considerable distance from tables. Do we pay less no! expensive for waiting on your own table no other restaurants would do so. is it a pub or a restaurant.

2nd: Ate inside food good,service good nice waiting staff. Nice experience.

3rd: have you booked ? No, can you wait in bar for 15 minutes to see if any tables become available or you can eat in the bar we were told. Not only were there at least 4 tables in the restaurant that we could see ! The bar area is horrid, grubby worn out uncomfortable furniture with holes in them and very dog friendly. No way, we insisted on a table which we got and surprise,surprise none of those tables we had spotted got used. All down to suit waiting staff shortage we were told by the waiter strange as the tables were nearer to the kitchen than the grubby bar area.

4th : food not good main course was definitely microwaved (we had ordered this dish on a previous occasion) offered free coffee.

5th : let's hope one of us moves or this pub sorts its self out.

General Manager A, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

We're disappointed to hear of the negative experience you had at our location.

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Had a marvellous meal with a friend on a half price deal. Could not fault it, or the lovely young staff who were happy to assist with their range of gins and cocktails.
Sadly, the thing that let them down is that nobody answers calls (admitted by staff). When you press for the restaurant you are cut off and other options tell you they can't take your call, ring again. You must take a chance with online booking and hope it works!

We appreciate your positive review about your recent experience with us!

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We have just had a wonderful lunch here at the Red lion & all enjoyed it very much!

It was my mother in-laws birthday so wanted a nice lunch to spoil her, we were not disappointed!

We sat outside in the front & were given perfect service with delicious food & drinks.

Thanks very much, we appreciated it, cheers :-)

General Manager A, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Mumoftheallsorts, we strive for 100% satisfaction, and it is great to see you had such a positive experience at The Red Lion, Welwyn.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Visited the Red Lion for lunch on Friday, during the summer. We sat outside due to the good weather. The bar is well stocked with a great choice and food can easily be ordered at the bar.

The menu has most classics on and food is to a good standard. Prices are reasonable for the area. The only negative is the noise from the A1 motorway, but we knew that before coming so it was not a surprise.

We will visit in future.

We appreciate your positive review about your recent experience with us!