“Don't bother with the Thai seafood chowder”
Review of The Wellington

Ranked #15 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Beautifully restored and renovated 13th century coaching inn with six unique bedrooms and award-winning food and quality yet friendly service. Situated in the village of Welwyn, North Herts, opposite the Saxon church of St Mary's, it is 'village eating, drinking and sleeping' at its best! Book in advance online or over the telephone to secure your table.
Reviewed 24 October 2018

We have visited the Wellington on a number of occasions and, indeed, our son used to work there.

Having been to a meeting in Welwyn we thought we would drop in for a meal. We both ordered the Thai seafood chowder at £12.95, which was billed as a main course.

What we got was a bowl of fairly runny soup with a lot of spinach in it but not a lot of seafood - certainly not enough to justify the price-tag.

Did we complain at the time ? No, and thinking about it now we should have done as were both immediately disappointed. The dessert was fine.

Date of visit: October 2018
The Wellington a, General Manager at The Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2018

Good evening,
Thanks for letting us know we appreciate your feedback and obviously concerned with how unsatisfied you were with the dish. Generally this a very well received dish and has obtained so many positive reviews and great feedback but clearly it wasn't right for you. I would have relished the opportunity had you raised it at the time to be able to rectify the issue for you either by re cooking the dish or providing you with something else. Had you given us the opportunity and I would certainly advise in future if you are not fully satisfied then to discuss so we can ensure we can do what we can for you to make your experience as enjoyable as possible rather than you leave upset and unsatisfied without even talking to us.

We will take this away and review to ensure there is sufficient seafood to justify our price point on the menu.

Kind Regards

Dan

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

After stumbling across this place and having a nice lunch previously, we returned with our family with high hopes that we could show off what a hidden gem we had found. What a disappointment this time round.

We walked in looking for a table of 4 and although there were empty tables that needed clearing they told us we had to sit in the garden as these tables were reserved.

We waited ages for someone to come and attend to us and in the end had to go and place our lunch and drinks orders at the bar. We waited so long for our drinks, we had to go and hunt them down ourselves.

Our food then came out and was appalling. Fishfinger wraps supposedly fresh fish were dry as a bone and had a tinge of green/grey to the fish! We were told it was haddock and not cod, but not sure I remember ever seeing fresh green haddock.

My burger was burnt so badly, instead of throwing it away and cooking a fresh one (burgers don’t take long to cook and are inexpensive) they decided to cut it into 3 layers and turn the burnt ends inward thinking that I wouldn’t notice. Seriously for a £15 burger, this is shocking behaviour to think that this is an acceptable way to treat paying customers.

After asking for our money back, we left without any senior member of staff/management coming to speak to us and apologise.

As we left we could see the supposedly “reserved tables” still uncleared and still vacant so we could of easily of been accommodated inside for a quick lunch if they could be bothered to clear them.

Having worked in the hospitality trade all my life, I’ve never seen such a shambolic service and no sign of mgmt to sort the issues out leaving young untrained waiting staff to “not deal” with the issues and customers to leave so unhappy.

Very disappointing....

Date of visit: October 2018
The Wellington a, General Manager at The Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Good evening danedmond1982 and thank you for writing such an interesting review and version of accounts of your visit last Saturday.
I can assure you that i am extremely disappointed in the experience you have taken away but would query for someone who has worked in hospitality all their life how some of these abundant misrepresentations have made it on to a review.

Shall we take our Triple Stacked House Burger as the first part of the response. Yes that's right as stated on our clearly printed menu the House Burger that you ordered on the day, sorry just to be clear, the Well Done Triple Stacked House Burger you ordered on the day, does come as standard with 3 Beef burgers cooked and served in the bun as requested on your order. This was not one burger cut into 3 as you have accused and the more than generous 3 beef burgers layered with smoked cheddar, tomato compote and served with fries coleslaw and salad we find to be more than acceptable behaviour within in a restaurant to charge for this product and service. Had you not requested a well done burger you would not had received a well done burger and had you spoken to any one of me or my team working we would have happily re cooked or replaced the meal.

This leads me on to another of your points... I, The Wellington's General Manager, most senior member of the team was infact here and was the first person a member of your party spoke to in relation to your meal. Therefore the management was completely aware of your situation, the manager accepted you were not happy with your fish finger wraps and although knowing this was good quality haddock fingers (as all our fish is sourced from a very reputable supplier) said i would more than happily provide you with another dish from the menu immediately or indeed provide you with a full refund should you wish without any form of hesitation. All i ever want is complete customer satisfaction from all guests and all i ask for back is honest and true feedback from the service.............
I shall also add that my supervisor that returned your expense in full as requested in a prompt and courteous manner will hopefully not be too upset with your unsatisfactory understanding of their training and position within our business.

We were and had been extremely busy and completely understand that some tables were indeed being turned around and some were being held for reservations of which there were, as usual, quite an extensive list. I cannot comprehend unfortunately how you believe you have the right (especially for someone who has been 'in the hospitality trade all my life') to accuse my very hard working and dedicated team of not being bothered as surely you could see and appreciate just how hard they were all working. If you feel that, as stated, this was the most shambolic service you have ever seen then i fear for anyone else's restaurant you dare to enter and attempt to make such ridiculous claims and accusations against their menus and staff. At no point were you forced to sit outside, you were, as we do to all customers, offered a table outside as it was a warm sunny afternoon and lots of people had chosen to, sit out on our sun terrace for your meal. Had you decided to wait the next table that was made available would have been yours inside the restaurant.

I must say i completely share your emotion of disappointment but for all the wrong reasons....

I fear for the next restaurant you review and do hope you can take the time, especially as you are clearly an experienced member of the hospitality trade, to read in full the menu and take clear note of the staffs performance and level of productivity in their specific roles before verbally abusing their commitment on their careers.

Yours Sincerely

Dan Tubbs
01438 714 036

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

It's been a couple of years since I've visited as I'm not local to Welwyn but I'm so glad my friends decided to take us here for Sunday lunch. From the starters to the desserts everything was excellent and the service was really good and very friendly. Well worth a visit but I would suggest you book.

1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed 26 September 2018

I am local to this restaurant and have used it before but on this occasion on 8th September I booked a surprise 60th birthday celebration meal for the wife and a few friends and family. I must say that the staff excelled themselves, excellently placed table, excellent service and excellent food! 10 out of 10 to all the staff, Tim, Sanesh, Kat, Mark Bella and Eleanor, thanks for making our evening special, I would recommend this restaurant to all!

1  Thank Phil D
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Upon phoning to book a table, the staff member who answered the phone was polite and confirm my request. Arriving we were met by two staff members who showed us to our table both were very friendly and polite , explaining tge contentsof the extra meals on offer. Whilst we started to view the menu we were asked to place our drinks order. After making our selection of starter and mains the services excel lent. The food arrived in a timely manner, all were a generous portion, and very tasty. If I had to pick fault with a meal,it would be the triple burger which I had ordered. I felt the burger was disappointing. I expected home made style buttgese appered to be 'mcdonald's style. It was a triple with three thin burgers. What would have been nice was a hearty quarter ponder.(homemade style). All the other meals were excellent. The price £180 for 6 including,starters and drinks round.

1  Thank dwc3402