“Not as good as before”

Price range: US$7 - US$33
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Beautifully restored and renovated 13th century coaching inn with six unique bedrooms and award-winning food and quality yet friendly service. Situated in the village of Welwyn, North Herts, opposite the Saxon church of St Mary's, it is 'village eating, drinking and sleeping' at its best! Book in advance online or over the telephone to secure your table.
Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

Visited in July 2018, the service was excellent, and the food was still pretty good, but it wasn’t as good as it had been in the past. Not sure if it has changed hands, but I feel it has now dropped below the food levels of a couple of other good pubs in the area.

TheWelly2018, Public Relations Manager at The Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2018

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.
I am happy to hear that the service you received was excellent and am sorry to hear that you feel the food wasn't as good as you have had previously.
We are owned by the same company still however we have new management, and a new kitchen team in place who collectively have helped transform the Wellington with the aim to get it back to what it once was a few years ago.
The kitchen team we have in place now are award winning and consistently serve up freshly made cuisine which is quality tested daily. So if you would like to get in contact with us at info@wellingtonatwelwyn.co.uk to share more feedback on your recent dining experience with us, I would be happy to look into further to ensure that the quality is improving and not remaining the same.
I hope you look to visit us again soon and hopefully we can wow you with our ever changing menu.

The Wellington Team

Reviewed 19 July 2018

We live locally and had stopped going to the Wellington as the standard of food and service had consistently fallen over the years. We decided to try it again as it is now under new management. What a lovely surprise the food and service was excellent. The waiting staff Drew, Sanash and Lauren couldn't have been more attentive. I am a coeliac and was accommodated without feeling a nuisance. Well done we will be back.

Morning JandMMarshall,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback.
We have been working hard to ensure standards across all areas of the business have improved and are being maintained, so are pleased that you had a good evening with us and will be returning again soon.

All the best
The Wellington Team.

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

I wrote review about The Wellington years ago saying how bad it was and that it was a rip off with overpriced food bad service etc. Vowing never to return.

But after word of mouth telling me it had improved and a good show at the Welwyn festival I thought it was time to give it another go. It is great that you can now book a table and the booking experience was good. We turned up on time and we were given a table outside which was lovely on this hot and humid evening.

Our drinks order was taken and a menu given to us, but then it all went wrong. After half an hour sitting waiting I had to go to the bar and ask for our drinks. Dan quickly got our drinks to us and I thought ok one little mishap is nothing to worry about.

We had our food which was lovely. Really nice, well cooked and well presented. However as we were eating our starter we were told our main was waiting. So then suddenly felt hurried after a long wait for service.

Our plates were cleared and our waiter asked if we would like desserts and to see the dessert menu, we replied yes and we also would like a couple of glasses of water.

Nothing.........I then chased for the water after 30 mins and the water was brought to us. Still no dessert menu so we decided to call it a night and get the bill. Which arrived promptly, with a service charge added on!!!!!! For two people when the service had been awful!!!! Still waiting for the dessert menu by the way.

So we waited, and waited and waited. In the end I had to get up and find someone who was willing to take my money. I then had to ask for the service to be removed from the bill as it was awful.

A) Get your service spot on before you have the cheek to put it on the bill.
B) You lost the sale of 2x deserts + additional drinks and coffee

To sum up. Food spot on, service terrible.

TheWelly2018, Public Relations Manager at The Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2018

Hello,

I would like to apologise first and foremost for the experience you have recently had at the Wellington.
We review all feedback and take it onboard to ensure we learn and continually improve on all aspects of our business to ensure customers leave happy and return time and time again.
We are currently in the process of recruiting new staff and there is a-lot of training that still needs to be done, however, this should not be an excuse at all, and we can only apologise.
We pride ourselves on how much the Wellington has improved for the better over the past few months with the change over of management so when we receive negative feedback we take it onboard and immediately put plans into action.

So please be assured that if you are to visit us again in the future, you won't receive poor service.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2018

At 5.45 yesterday I was on my way home to Harpenden from Cambridge after a very long day and hot drive home including traffic hold ups etc. I know the Wellington so decided to stop there. I didn't need a large meal and was hot and exhausted. The staff were all brilliant. I ordered a kids size meal - no problem. Didn't try to persuade me to have something I didn't need. Only had a soft drink not my usual wine - no problem. The waiter was very interested in where I had been. The whole experience was perfect for what I needed. I hadn't been there for a while but will be back soon. The food was great.

TheWelly2018, Public Relations Manager at The Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2018

Hi Jill,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback for us.
I'm glad to hear you have had a nice experience with us and we hope to see you again soon.

The Welly Team

Reviewed 1 July 2018

Came in for some drinks and a meal with my family for my fathers 80th birthday during the Welwyn Festival. The food was very tasty and we were looked after very well. The big glass windows give a great view of the village. Thanks.

TheWelly2018, Public Relations Manager at The Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Hi Kevin,

I am glad to hear you had a nice dining experience with us this weekend and thank you for choosing the Wellington as the location to celebrate your fathers birthday.

We hope too see you again soon.

Kind Regards,