All reviews cake on arrival carlton hotel plates and cutlery complimentary tea welcoming hotel free breakfast every afternoon the hotel offers well stocked bar victoria sponge plenty of parking car park full english steep hill ten minute walk lovely touch
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Received a very warm welcome and looked after by a very friendly team at the hotel. Hotel facilitated delivery of delicious Chinese food (gave us proper dishes and cutlery to use) and we were able to get a bottle of wine from the hotel bar.
Stayed in ‘accessible’ room. Good access from disabled car parking space to room. Bed is comfortable and the accessible bathroom is very good.
Good range of breakfast options and everything we tried was delicious.
Definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Nicky M, Owner at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Dear Eileen,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in our accessible room and that you found your bed to be comfortable and the bathroom to be of a very good standard. If you wish to book again, don't forget to call us direct to get your breakfast included in your room rate.

I'm also pleased to hear you enjoyed a chinese takeaway and a bottle of wine with us. We are more than happy to supply plates and cutlery for our guests that prefer to have a cosy evening in. Our reception team are always available to provide you with recommendations of the best takeaways in Truro so make sure to ask them if you fancy trying somewhere new!

Thank you again for you review. I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to the rest of my team. I hope to welcome you back through our doors again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Trip Advisor says this is a 4 star hotel. It’s actually rated a 3 star and feels like a 2 star. Contrary to website, it’s not in central Truro but in suburbs. Nice leafy suburbs, but suburbs all the same. It has no restaurant. Only one pub-restaurant in close proximity, otherwise you need to cab or walk into town. Steep hills would make walking back from centre hard for some. The property is hot and not air conditioned. Outside the ground floor areas, which are just ok, it’s shabby and feels institutional. My room was tiny, and the shower temperature varied dangerously during use. I vacated after one night to stay elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank JacquesHughes
Nicky M, Owner at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2018

Dear Jacques Hughes,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I’m terribly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and decided to leave us and stay elsewhere. This is most unusual as I have found that most of our guests have a very positive experience when staying with us which is reflected in our 4.5 rating here on Tripadvisor. For clarity, we advertise ourselves as 3 star on our own website. I’m disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to the high standards that we aim for.

You mention that our hotel is not in central Truro- we are located just a 7-minute walk from the very centre of Truro. Some of our guests would prefer to take a taxi which we are more than happy to organise however I find that many of our guests enjoy the short walk down the hill.

You are correct in saying we do not have a restaurant here on site however we allow you to order in takeaways to enjoy in our cosy lounge while we provide all the plates and cutlery you need free of charge. Furthermore, our sister hotel Mannings located just down the hill has an excellent 2 AA Rosette restaurant which is incredibly popular amongst our guests. We even offer our guests vouchers for use in Mannings should they choose to dine there.

While it may have been hot during the night you stayed I’ll admit we do not have air-conditioned rooms. Providing air conditioning is simply not economical for an independent hotel of our size and it is certainly not commonplace amongst hotels in Truro. Furthermore, we are working towards a more sustainable future and the environmental downsides of air conditioning would not be in keeping with our plans to become a more environmentally-friendly hotel. However, if you’d have informed reception of your concerns we would have been more than happy to provide you with a fan for use in your room.

I’m terribly sorry to hear about the temperature of your shower varying dangerously. I will be sure to inform a member of the Maintenance team so they can take a look immediately. If you were unhappy with the size of your room, a member of reception could have looked into moving you into a different room.

Once again, I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us however I hope I get the chance to personally welcome you back to the Merchant House should you decide to give us another try on your next visit to Truro. If you wish to discuss your stay with us further, please do not hesitate to contact us direct.

Kind regards,

Nicky Whittaker-Owner

Reviewed 20 May 2018

We were really impressed with this hotel. Conveniently located with parking in front of the hotel and additional behind. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Free tea and cake served between 1 and 6 in the afternoon. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a family room, which was a fair size with a king size bed. Breakfast was fantastic, lovely cooked breakfast and a good selection of continental type foods. Very clean and well appointed, with additional items, such as irons, available from reception. All in all a lovely stay and if we were back in Truro this hotel would be top of our list for accommodation. Really cannot think of anything negative to say about our stay, would thoroughly recommend. Well spent £130 for two nights (without breakfast), however if you book directly I believe the breakfast is included.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Nicky M, Owner at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Dear bunnyofdarkness,

Thank you for you lovely comments following your recent stay with us. I’m very pleased to hear that you found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly, I will be sure to pass on your kind words to them.

We do have free tea and cake served between 1 and 6 and I hope you had the chance to sample some of Chef’s homemade Victoria Sponge or Lemon Cake!

I’m glad you enjoyed staying in one of our family rooms after being upgraded and that you found it to be a good size for you.

I’m happy you found breakfast to be fantastic and well-stocked and I hope you remember to book with us direct next time so that you can enjoy it completely free!

I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you choose to stay with us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Situated under a 10 minute walk from the heart of Truro, this hotel was exactly what we needed for our evening out at The Hall for Cornwall theatre.
Tea and cake was available on arrival, served until 6pm but we were in a rush to get dinner in the city.
A fully stocked bar was open until 11pm which meant we could have a nightcap before turning in.
The rooms were tastefully furnished and everything was spotlessly clean.
There was a good variety of food available at breakfast the waitress was efficient and the owner/ manager ensured that everything was available at all times.
We liked the idea of being able to eat a take away in the bar area and would have tried the Indian restaurant/ takeaway just down the road if we had been staying longer.
We would definitely stay here again. Thank you!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Nicky M, General Manager at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Dear jebjem,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us. I’m delighted to hear that you found our rooms to be tastefully furnished and everything to be spotlessly clean. I’m also pleased to hear that you took advantage of our freshly-cooked full breakfast and continental buffet and that breakfast was run efficiently.

I’m glad you liked the idea of being able to bring takeaways into the premises to enjoy. We are happy to provide plates and cutlery free of charge and provide you with recommendations of our favourite takeaways in Truro.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the future. Hopefully next time you will get the chance to try Chef’s homemade cake!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Spent 2 nights at the Merchant for my husband's birthday. There was such a warm welcome especially with complimentary tea, coffee and gorgeous cakes! Rooms were very comfortable with plenty of tea and coffee along with free wi-fi.
Highly recommend a visit
Rose

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Nicky M, Owner at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2018

Dear Rose,

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us and I do hope that your husband had a lovely birthday.

I am delighted to hear that you received our traditional warm and friendly service and that you got to indulge in our complimentary homemade cake with tea/coffee in the afternoons.

I am pleased to hear you found the rooms very comfortable and that you made use of the room facilities including the tea and coffee and free speedy WiFi.

I hope to welcome you back for your next visit to stay with us.

Best Wishes