“As good as ever ! ”

Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Cafe
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A unique setting in an old listed building, we provide some of Truro's best dining with fresh lunches during the day and lively fresh and original meals in the evening. Matched with a great coffee, cocktails, wine and beers.
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

We regularly visit OGS on a Friday for post work tapas . Always a great menu , interesting ,varied original and changes regularly . High quality food as ever , great atmosphere and superb service . All staff very efficient and friendly . Highly recommended .

Reviewed 5 October 2017

It is with a heavy heart i feel I must leave a review of today's dining experience.

Although we have eaten at The Old Grammar School on more than one occasion, this evening we recommended the restaurant to a friend of ours. My wife and I both love good food and eat out more often then perhaps we should.

We had spoken very highly of the restaurant to our friend who chefs for another local business, as any chef in Cornwall will know, time away from work is precious, and any experience that they can have eating out is usually a special one.

We had specifically spoken highly of a very simple dish that we had eaten a number of weeks before, when i say simple, i mean mac and cheese. I am sure everyone has had mac and cheese before, but to have one that you actually rave about and look forward to going back to a restaurant to have it again really must be something special.

The dish in question was a Salt Beef Mac and Cheese which we had had one lunchtime.

This evening we arrived, staff were courteous as ever, we gave our drinks orders then proceeded to look at the blackboard menus. My wife, who is heavily pregnant, due next week had been longing to have a big dish of this heavenly mac and cheese, she had tried the restaurant the weekend before but unfortunately the restaurant doesn't open on sundays, looked at the menus and noticed that it had changed, pretty substantially.

I asked the waitress if there would be any chance although the mac and cheese with salted beef wasn't on the menu, if the chef could possibly help us out. The waitress kindly asked the chef, but had said that they no longer have salted beef, he could add some pulled pork.

I thanked the waitress and we continued to look through the plentiful choices.

By this stage, my wife (heavily pregnant) was upset, disappointed having really looked forward to this dish.

Instead the 3 of us opted for a number of dishes off the tapas menu,

Baker Tom's Bread with oils, Dirty Loaded Fries, Salt and Pepper Squid, Pulled Pork Slider, Chicken & King Prawn, Lamb Kofta x 2. Spicy Falafel with Ricotta x 2, Mac N Cheese with Pesto x 2 and Mac N Cheese with Pulled pork.

We waited in anticipation as anyone would have expected to for this number of dishes to be created by the chef.

The dishes arrived at the table and we started tucking in.

To say we were disappointed with our meal is an understatement, the mac N cheese was tasteless and dry, covered in mozerella and dried Parmesan, the "spicy falafel" were like sand paper, they were so dry and were served with some sort of watered down raita, the salt and pepper squid was soft, floppy battered squid rings, with no flavour at all, served with a tartar sauce? the Baker Tom bread was far from the delicious bread that Baker Tom produces, instead we were given a soft floppy focaccia which when pressed was like dough in the middle. To be honest the best part of the meal was the dirty fries, which were still crisp despite being covered in melted cheese, pulled pork and chopped gerkins.

When asked how our meal was we felt we had to say something, although my wife and I rarely complain, we usually vote with our feet, on this occasion we were genuinely upset that we had recommended somewhere that served such awful food.

We mentioned all the points that we have raised here. and asked for the bill.

The waitress came across and simply said would you like to pay by card or cash. No offer of speaking to anyone, or any apology, or even a discount.

We aren't the type of people to say something to get a discount anyway, but we feel it would have been the right thing to do.

A terrible meal for 3 £65.00

Unfortunately, this isn't the sort of service we would expect from an old favourite in central Truro.

2  Thank JamesMyland
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We stopped here for a drink or two after a busy day shopping. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. Even better it is dog friendly, our dogs were made welcome.

1  Thank ktsladen
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

I've eaten at The Old Grammer School several times now, and have found the food very, very good on each visit. Fresh, inventive, and consistently well prepared food make this one of my very top choices. Great service and a clean, friendly atmosphere round it out. Easily my top lunch spot in Cornwall.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

We called in after reading the blackboard outside. Shown a lovely table that probably would have seated 6 people, but only us two. Always good in our mind. Service was ever so slightly slow We thought but was very friendly and was busy in the restaurant. I had the Mussels in coconut and Thai sauce, it's served with fries & focaccia. The wife had lamb koffta. We both really enjoyed. Great restaurant. Thank you.

1  Thank stevedring