“Saturday Lunch”

Price range: US$13 - US$28
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Thank you if you reviewed our seafood cafe. We would love to see you again and if you would like to reserve a table please book online, or call the restaurant, as tables are on a first come basis. Our menus are changed seasonally to enable us to utilise the best and freshest local ingredients. Have a look at our delicious Winter 2016 Menu now. We appreciate the market is demanding simple local produce and unhurried service and, although our dishes are dominated by fresh fish and seafood, we now offer a non fishy and vegetarian option. We work closely with our suppliers and fishermen to make sure the fish we serve is caught in the least wasteful way which can mean line-caught fish, pot-caught seafood or fish caught in gill nets with big holes in them so they only catch the larger fish and let the small ones through. We try only to serve fish and seafood when it is in actually in season. That's why there's no lobster and crab on the menu in the winter. You will never see tuna or shark on our menu because we don't believe you should import fish from other countries when we have perfectly good alternatives here. We also avoid using fish which are being over-stretched. And finally we may not always have everything on the menu. Sometimes the fish don't bite, or come late into season, have too much roe or are not big enough for us to feel comfortable about buying them. It's the price we have to pay to do the right thing and we'll always try and have an alternative. Come and enjoy a quintessentially British approach to oyster consumption in our elegant venue in the stunning grade II listed Castle Villa building on Castle Street, Truro, with its romantic setting overlooking Truro River. The unpretentious surroundings are matched by an easy-drinking wine list, wonderful local seafood and much more. The food in the Seafood Cafe is prepared by our head chefs Garrie Lawrence and Valerie Thomson in our open kitchen while you watch and wait and the rugged oyster fishermen of the River Fal peer down from the walls in print while you eat. The menu is typically seasonal and the signature oysters and seafood are principally sourced from around Cornwall and the West Country. The more ambitious will take time to enjoy Plateau de Fruits de Mer, fresh crab salad, local lobster and mussels, Fish of the Day and many other things on the menu to fill a gap at less than ten pounds a plate. "The informality of the Seafood Cafe makes it a great meeting place. My main aim is for customers to leave with smiles on their faces - I love it when customers compliment the food and the service. I think a hands-on approach helps to keep both staff and customers happy."
Reviewed 27 November 2017

Had an excellent lunch of oysters and grilled lobster from Falmouth washed down with a lovely white wine. This was one of the best seafood lunches i have had in a very long time and will be looking forward to my next visit, I have recommended the seafood cafe to everybody I know.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

It’s rare to find an excellent rester aunt with early service prior to the theatre. This place does the trick. Great food well priced and nice people. I even had steak not fish and that was good. Would recommend and will go again! It deserves a good review

1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed 19 November 2017

Having visited Cornwall for 11 years to see my son (all the way from Essex) I thought I had visited most the good eateries in Truro.

However, Falmouth Bay Seafood proved to be a very pleasant surprise on a Saturday night. There were 3 of us in attendance, my teenage son and my father. The restaurant appeared fully booked, we were there from 6.15-9.30. There is no rush and you are made to feel very welcome and everything is done a serene pace.

We chose a New Zealand Marlborough white wine knowing we would be having fish. For starters the three of us had different dishes, Prawns, Seared Scallops and Crab and Bacon. The prawns were plentiful and according to my father, very nice. My son scallops disappeared from the plate very quickly. With my crab and bacon dish came some crispy brown toast. I think mine an excellent choice starter though the Prawns looked particularly nice too. The scallops disappeared too quickly for me to pass comment but my son had no complaints.

For mains we chose Mussels, John Dory and Rib-Eye Steak. The steak was medium and beautifully cooked and a good size. It came with baby tomatoes, salad and chips. All very nicely presented and tasty as my son finished the whole dish.

My fathers Mussels come in a large pot and an extremely large portion but he did order ‘large’. He also ordered a side of seasonal vegetables. Tres Bien here too.

As for myself I had John Dory with a wonderful risotto. I also ordered an extra side dish of seasonal vegetables. Great presentation and another extremely tasty dish, went great with the wine too.

For dessert we went for the armagnac ice-cream and peaches - an excellent choice and thoroughly recommended. My son went for the chocolate delice and having tried the chocolate myself this is also a fitting end to the meal.

The waitressing was superb throughout, unobtrusive, efficient and extremely polite.

Very nice atmosphere all evening and I can thoroughly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Andrew D
Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

After being told that they now allow well behaved dogs in at lunchtime we decided to give Falmouth Bay Seafood Cafe a try. Are we glad we did, the lady serving was so friendly and made a fuss of our dog offering him treats so instantly made a friend of him! The food was delicious, all the food was freshly made as we waited so we were warned that the fish pie would take a bit of time but we were in no hurry so this didn't bother us at all, and it was nice that we were prewarned. The starters of prawns and squid were both lovely, soft and not at all chewy. The mains of fish and chips were probably the best I've had in a very long time. All in all a very nice place to eat with the dog in Truro. We will most definitely be returning soon.

1  Thank Deb S
Reviewed 14 November 2017

Checked tripadvisor for good restaurant in Truro whilst returning from a wet day at the Eden Project (super day in spite of weather). This place fitted the bill, top sea food and ambiance. We were not disappointed. We parked nearby and entered the empty restaurant in a rather damp state, but were immediately welcomed and put at ease. The ‘lady’ waitress was impeccable with a warm smile and helpful suggestions. The seafood starters, tempura prawns and the scallops were extremely tasty and the fresh sea bass and fish pie mains were excellent too. We were pleased to savour every morcel as the heavy rain continued. Patrons continued to come in despite a discouraging autumnal Thursday evening and the staff, including the two chefs added to the convivial atmosphere.
Finally, feeling rather full, we shared the vanilla panacotta with honey roasted figs and coffees before heading back to the Hotel. Would certainly recommend and return again.

1  Thank chris2452016