All reviews historic pub wood burner new owners home made lovely pub bread rolls warm welcome moose morgan blaenavon landlord dogs canal ale meal walkers accommodation
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

A real mixed experience coming to this pub. We'd had a recommendation from our neighbours who said that the place has good beer and live music. Looked at the website and it looked great, dog friendly, happy hour on Thursday and really emphasised being a friendly place which turned out to be rather misleading.
We decided to head over on a Thursday night and were hoping to eat. I tried to phone twice earlier in the day in case it was fully booked, but as there was no reply we went for it anyway.
We arrived at 8pm after a 30 min drive and a walk up the lane as the carpark was full. We ordered our drinks - which to be fair couldn't be faulted, good beer and at an amazing £2 during happy hour - but the lady behind the bar then said "you don't want food do you?" We said yes please, to be told we had to ring ahead, I said that I'd tried twice earlier in the afternoon, to which she replied that the pub closes at 3pm, and "this isn't a town pub you know". I replied that I'd tried again after 6pm and was told that the pub only opens at 7pm in the evening, and that because we'd come in "so late" it wasn't possible - I'm assuming then that they only serve food between 7 and 8, although the website didn't state this, but also that to book in for food you'd also need to ring between 7 and 8, which seems a pretty tight window of opportunity!! I should also say that there was no one else eating in the pub at the time, one gentleman had finished a meal, and other than that there was a book club in the other room as well as a number of locals drinking.
To add to this odd approach to sales, the lady then brought out her own plate of food at 8.30pm, sitting with some locals to eat it. It was a pity and a bit of insult to injury, as I must admit that her pie looked very tasty and homemade, which the locals also commented on! In general the menu sounded good, simple homemade food such as soup, ploughman's and pies, again at low prices - if only we could have been lucky enough to buy some!
Meanwhile we had two drinks at the very cheap prices, and the other positives I could give are that the building itself is lovely and cosy, and several of the locals were very friendly and chatted to us, even if the landlady was not so.
Overall we felt unwelcome - I don't know if she simply disliked the look of us or thought we were "townies" due to her reference to "town pubs"! The funny thing is that with such low prices for drinks we probably would have come back with the hope that we might make it into her good books - lots of local pubs do have slightly odd or unwelcoming landlords or ladies! - but as it's a 30 minute drive we wouldn't bother again.
Overall a bizarre experience due to the landlady, on looking at other reviews there seem to be a similar mixed bag. It's a shame as it's a lovely pub, and perhaps she lets the other staff down.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank A6870QEbeths
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

We are staying in Caerleon and decided to take drive out on a whim to see the beacons tonight. After a few wrong turns we noticed the Goose and Cuckoo on google so went for a drink.

Quite a busy pub considering the location, guessing it’s perfect for walkers and seemed to have quite a few locals too. Drinks are so cheap compared to where we live that my other half could not quite believe the price and has been talking about it since leaving lol. We didn’t eat but the food that others had looked nice enough.

What has really stayed with me is how friendly people were, I happened to take a photo from the dining area window and got chatting to a lovely lady who I believe is the Barmans wife (I didn’t get a name unfortunately), I then sat outside with my other half for our drink, when it was time to leave the lady and her young daughter came out and waved us off making a point of wishing us well with the rest of our trip.

If we are ever back in Wales we shall visit again

Date of stay: August 2018
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

We drove to The Goose and Cuckoo after a walk. Nice pub were the dogs wander around. Drinks were nice. Food nothing special, would not go there again for it. The garden looks very nice with the flowers and the seats.

Date of stay: June 2018
1  Thank iummels
Reviewed 26 May 2018

After a 4 hour walk in driving rain we arrived at the Goose. Lovely historic pub where 6 of us enjoyed lunch and some great beer. New owners (since my last visit) seem very enthusiastic are the new goose and cuckoo AKA Sue and Rhianon with the help of barman Morgan. Mustn't leave it so long till my next visit! Views from the dining room are amazing!

Room tip: Self catering cottage next door
Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

The staff are warm and welcoming, it's dog friendly so we can take our retriever and the food was delicious.
You can park in Blaenavon and walk across the mountain, it's an easy walk. But wear good shoes. Or you can drive to it. They are having a music festival on the Sunday 27th May.

Date of stay: May 2018