“The Ideal Way to Travel”

A Rural Experience - Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Gowran
Reviewed 19 April 2017

My husband and I spent a wonderful week in April seeing Ireland with Tom as our driver and guide. After doing one drive-on-the-left trip on our own in Britain, we knew we didn’t want to do another one. We wanted to get out into the Irish countryside, and some of the attractions that interested us were not easy to get to. A Rural Experience was a great solution, allowing us to see everything we wanted to at our own pace. Prior to our travels, we spent many months planning our trip and communicating online with Rebecca, who always replied promptly, was open to any changes we made along the way, and was most helpful in suggesting attractions, possible routes, and accommodations. Tom was great company, a wealth of knowledge about Ireland, a superb driver, and always on time and aware of our schedule. We felt in good hands and confident that Tom would get us where we needed to be, allowing us to relax and enjoy our time at each stop. This was an ideal stress-free way to travel and one of our best vacation trips ever. We would do it again in a minute. Such good people to work with!

IrishRuralTours, Owner at A Rural Experience - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Carol & Gene

Thank you both so much for taking the time to write a review and a wonderful one also. It was a pleasure working with you and thank you for asking to meet me. You are both such a lovely couple and I hope we get to meet again in the near future.

Warm regards

Reviewed 6 November 2016

We have travelled all over the world for many, many years. Most of the trips and guides were very good. Tom and A Rural Experience are the best. WHile we had what we thought would be a great itinerary, Tom "adjusted" it adapt to weather, best times and special opportunities. His vehicle was comfortable and he is a superb driver. He isn't big on tourists in rental cars, but that just adds to his commentary. (Would love to see if his patience would extend to driving in Boston.)

Every one of his suggestions was excellent.

Tom is also a pleasure to be with. He is sincere, really concerned for the guests and a wonderful experience as a person with all the local flavor one could want.
We hope that someday he will visit us in Boston and allow us to give him a tour!

Reviewed 15 October 2016

Last week, I returned from an amazing trip throughout Ireland.

This trip represented a life-long dream and every moment of it is now a treasure. I smile every day when I think of it.

Tom McDonald was the driver and guide for this experience. l shared the journey with my adult son, Tom, a professional photographer who lives and works in the state of Oregon. Neither of us had ever been to Ireland before. We agreed that my son would fly from Oregon, and I would fly from my home in Buffalo, New York, to Dublin. We then worked out an itinerary that gave us 12 days to see northern Ireland, the north shore, and parts of western Ireland.

Tom McDonald arrived to pick us up at our Dublin hotel on September 23, and we set off to begin our tour.

Each day of the journey Tom McDonald arrived at the hotel where we had stayed for the previous evening, and each day he shared his knowledge and good humor with us. He knew the best places for photographs and patiently waited as we photographed each beautiful setting. Tom McDonald knew the best restaurants and unique settings that the average visitor to Ireland would not have known. Near the end of our trip, he drove us to a festival in Dingle for a lunch of fish and chips that was outstanding. As Irish musicians played traditional music, town residents danced and visited with each other along the colorful streets of the village.

In the evening, while staying at the hotels, I met several travelers who were stressed out from driving on extremely narrow, unfamiliar roads; one couple had even had an accident with their rental car. It was at times like those, that I was especially glad that Tom was our driver and guide.

It was hard to leave Ireland. I waited a lifetime to go there, but I hope it won't be too long before I can plan another family trip. My son has traveled around the world, and he joins me in saying that this was one of the best travel experiences ever, largely because of the professionalism and expertise of a Rural Experience and Tom McDonald.

Peg Schwabel
Buffalo, NY (USA)

IrishRuralTours, Owner at A Rural Experience - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

Hi Peg,

Thank you for your excellent review. We are so delighted that you both had a great tour with Tom (your driver) and it lived up to your life long dream of Ireland.

I hope you return soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed 12 October 2016

My husband and I knew we needed to book a tour guide to visit all the towns we wanted to see in Ireland. We spent many weeks back and forth with several tour companies who we felt never really listened to what we wanted our tour to be. They were all standard fare and that's not us. We eventually stumbled upon Rebecca's company and we knew our search was over. From the first email to actually meeting her last week, (bonus for us!!) she was spot on with what we wanted to see and not see. We even had an "across the pond" moment when we both changed the itinerary at the same time! Eddie... what to say about him. He has a beautiful singing voice, fantastic sense of humor, knows where he's going , and most importantly knows when and where to stop for lunch! He was so attentive from walking us up to every registration at our stops, to making sure we knew where to meet him when were were done. If you loved taking family driving vacations growing up, then you have to use this tour company. It's family through and through.

1  Thank Wendy P

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It has been a pleasure designing and organising your recent visit to Ireland and thank you for asking to meet me for a coffee (a side of my job I unfortunately rarely get to do).

I hope you both get to come back again soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 26 September 2016

My husband and I were planning a trip to Ireland to last 12 days and knew we didn't want a standard bus tour nor did we want to drive. I contacted Rebecca at A Rural Experience and together we planned a trip that included all the places we wanted to see and others we didn't know we should see. She was fantastic! Very patient, she answered emails in a timely fashion and put together a great itinerary. Tom, our driver picked us up at the airport and away we went. He was knowledgeable, funny, good company and a good driver. The great thing about using A Rural Experience is that you never felt rushed when you were visiting anyplace. Tom gave us the time and was there when we were ready to leave. He was ready with alternatives if the weather got too dicey (which in our case it really didn't). Our advise, if you are planning a trip to Ireland is to use A Rural Experience. We cannot say enough good things about them.

Wow Susan thank you both for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure designing your tour and I looked forward to our emails.

I hope we get to meet again soon.

Warmest regards