“Hidden gem”

Harambe Ethiopian Restaurant
Ranked #73 of 167 Restaurants in Footscray
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed 11 September 2015 via mobile

Great food and great service. First time there so ordered a mixed meat and a mixed vegetarian platter. Was so delicious and was quite satisfied with the meal. Staff were friendly and helpful and prices were quite reasonable.

Reviewed 22 April 2015

I can't believe I haven't thought to write a review for Harambe before... I've eaten there over a dozen times, and having tried many other Ethiopian restaurants in Melbourne, I have to say that Harambe is the stand out. It's decor is typically "African eclectic" - that's part of the charm... but the food is by far the winner here.
The "vegetarian" and "non-vegetarian" combos are ideal for a big sharing plate - we normally get 2 of each to split between 4 of us, and the most recent time was the only visit to Harambe that we've managed to finish the platter off (mainly because we'd been "preparing" ourselves by not having any lunch!!) - the servings are incredibly generous, the flavours varied and authentic, and the variety of dishes fabulous.
Service is personal and unobtrusive - we are now "recognised" as we enter the restaurant, and I keep taking new people there to introduce them to Harambe's amazing dining experience. If you're looking for fine dining, this isn't for you, but if you're looking for a great night out (and perhaps a good first date restaurant as using your hands instead of cutlery is a great icebreaker!) that won't break the bank, this is the place to go...
Have also previously had take-away from here when we go to Werribee Zoo for "Rhythms of Africa" - perfect solution to a picnic basket!
My only frustration is that now I don't live in Melbourne anymore so can only visit once or twice a year when I'm back home for a visit!!

2  Thank rastus0706