All reviews large garden wonderful hosts visiting the area quiet location comfortable beds bed and breakfast biscuits conservatory cereal tv bedroom oxford
Reviewed 7 December 2016

The house and garden are lovely. Unfortunately I had booked to stay during a September heatwave when temperatures were 26 to 28 degrees C. In spite of much attention to detail, this did not apply to the bedding. The duvet was rated 13.5 tog (i.e. winter weight), the bottom sheet & duvet cover were (less breathable) poly-cotton. (No top sheet.) No alternative more appropriate bedding in view of the temperatures was offered, and I was unable to find any in the cupboards, which resulted in a totally sleepless night. In addition, adding to the heat I believe a hot water tank was housed in the room plus a central heating pump (starts at 6 a.m.) & an AGA in the kitchen below. The heat was insufferable. To open the windows would have meant noise from a water fountain outside plus aircraft noise. There is little sound-proofing between the floor of the larger bedroom & kitchen below. Every word spoken below (human or TV) can be heard, as well as the clank of a spoon being stirred against the side of a cup. This could be a bit irritating is someone had driven a long distance and wished to rest during the daytime at the end of their journey. I moved to the smaller room, which was much more comfortable and fortunately I had some of my own bedding - cotton sheets which I was able to use with the cotton counterpane. Again no alternative bedding was offered. The breakfasts were excellent. I would comment that in view of the comparatively high charge, for which many hotels would provide 100% cotton sheets, dinner, bed & breakfast, and some tour companies, coach travel thrown in as well, the hosts could at the very least provide 100% pure cotton sheets, a top sheet and alternative lighter bedding for hot weather. A notice in the room indicated that payment was expected on the first day. I have always paid at the end of a visit apart from on pre-booked foreign holidays through a tour agent. I paid cash at the end of my stay and was given the offer of a receipt, which I accepted, but it was never produced. I was disappointed that I lost one whole day of my trip because of lack of sleep, owing to inappropriate bedding on the first night and spent it sitting in my car as I was unfit to drive. A wasted, and expensive, day.

Room tip: Lge room has hot wtr tank+AGA in kitchen below. Heating/wtr pump 6 am. Kitchen below every sound transmits up. Smaller room quieter.
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank EsmereldaNorwich
jbrownwest, Owner at Westfield Court House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2017

We have become aware that this review may have created some negative feedback!
Please understand that the reviewer had some other issues and we hope that her comments won't be taken too seriously. Please do contact us if you have any concerns.

Reviewed 22 August 2016

Hubby and I stayed here for 2 nights for a friends wedding which was just up the road at The Manor. We really enjoyed our stay and particular enjoyed having our own access as the room had its own entrance & key.

Our hosts were lovely, as previous guest mentioned they have got the perfect balance between being friendly but not all intrusive.

Breakfast was very tasty and our surroundings were lovely. Would definitely return here if visiting the area again.

Date of stay: August 2016
2  Thank h0lly0ne

We very much appreciate reviews from our guests and continue to thoroughly enjoy seeing old friends and new acquaintances. Also looking forward to some nice summer weather!

Reviewed 21 August 2016

My husband and I stayed two nights for a grand wedding at a nearby hotel involving two late nights, the second after 2 am. With our own key and private entrance this was no problem at all but the true nature of our hosts' kindness was revealed when our old Bentley broke down in their drive and they not only helped us with all the arrangements, even making tea for the breakdown truck driver, but also drove us to the wedding!
The house and gardens are immaculate, the breakfast superb and Anne and John manage to be both friendly and available but not in the least intrusive. I really wish we can find a reason for another visit.

Room tip: Room on right has private entrance via outside staircase and ensuite bathroom and kitchenette.
Date of stay: August 2016
1  Thank Catherine S
Reviewed 29 July 2016

I stayed here for a night before a birthday lunch at The Manor hotel nearby. We arrived rather late but they were kind and welcoming. It is a modern house in the owners built in the grounds of their old home. It has lovely traditional furniture and paintings in the hall and is comfortable with wifi and other modern facilities. The twin bedroom my daughter and I had was spacious, with TV, attached shower room and small kitchen. It also had a side door with outside fire escape type steps down to the gated area in front of the house where my car was parked which was convenient because I could go out to collect things I had forgotten to bring from the car without disturbing anyone. We could have had practically anything we liked for breakfast - they had a selection of cereals and cooked food available. I had fruit salad (freshly made with apple, grapes, cherries, mango and kiwi fruit) and a warm croissant. My daughter had Cocopops. We ate breakfast in a conservatory looking out over a large beautifully kept garden. It was a restful and uplifting experience. Our kind hosts also remembered that we were having lunch at the hotel nearby the next day and brought round a phone charger I had left in the room - many thanks!

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Bryony H
jbrownwest, Owner at Westfield Court House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2016

Many thanks to all our guests for their kind words and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2015

Oh you must stay here if in the area. If you're here to shop at Bicester Village this is nice and close. Anne and John Brown were most welcoming and helpful hostess. We had a twin room with a private bathroom in the adjoining hall. The shower was divine with plenty of hot water and the water pressure was top wack! They do own dogs. They are border terriers but it is rare to be allergic to the hair of the border terrier for those suffering with dog allergies. John and Anne will keep them clear of you and you won't know they are there if you're not a dog lover. I am a dog lover and enjoyed meeting their two happy little dogs. The rooms are well equipped and cozy with a little refrigerator in the room. It does make a noise at night but John said to unplug it if it was a bother. Which we did. The breakfast was fabulous. Not just the food which included Anne's amazing homemade jams, but the views of their amazingly well groomed large garden was just so inviting that after our breakfast we went on a wee walk about. It was cozy British, and a welcoming spot to lay your head for the night, or more if you have the time.

Room tip: Either room would be pleasing I'm sure!
Date of stay: July 2015
2  Thank Rhonda J
jbrownwest, Owner at Westfield Court House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2015

Thank you, Rhonda for your very kind words. We very much enjoy meeting all our guests and hope to see you again sometime.