“The Perfect Winter Escape”
The Cays Pool Sunloungers on The Cays Beach
Blue Water Living
Blue Water Kitchen
Waters Edge Bedroom
Waters Edge Kitchen/Living
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
Nancy G
Ottawa, Canada
“The Perfect Winter Escape”
Reviewed 6 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016

We have just returned from a month on Great Exuma, in the Bahamas, and must comment on our experience in Coconut Cottage, The Cays, which was the foundation for our extraordinary trip. The cottage is roomy and comfortable, and easily accommodated six in the three spacious bedrooms, each with an ensuite bathroom. The large living room/dining room is well-furnished, and the open concept kitchen fully-equipped. The in-house laundry facility was a welcome bonus. The cottage features a sizable wrap-around porch, and a propane BBQ, which we used every night, grilling excellent steaks, pork chops, fish and chicken from Prime Island Meats and Deli.
The setting of The Cays is very special. It is situated on the leeward side of the island, protected from the often strong wind on the Atlantic side. There is a common area by the water, which offers a salt-water pool, hammocks and beach chairs with both shade and sun areas for reading and enjoying the view. The BYO Sunset Bar was one of our favourite features, where we went most evenings to watch spectacular sunsets and chat with other guests and owners, and the incomparable Norman Wells.
Norman built The Cays and tends to it with diligence and affection. He has a wealth of knowledge about the island, and shared his insights and advice freely. We witnessed him respond immediately to requests from guests, whether it be Sunday afternoon or late in the evening. Other than two minor problems related to our unfamiliarity with the appliances, which were dealt with quickly, our cottage functioned well.
In summary, our experience was first rate, and we have already booked our return visit for next winter.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The location and amenities.
Liked least: The no-see-ums that came out at dusk.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
7 Mar 2016
Thank you for this review, we enjoyed having you stay, and look forward to seeing you again next year
Kim L
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“So much potential,but...”
Reviewed 26 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

The homes were spacious and the location was excellent. However on arrival we were told
The refrigerator was not working, very inconvenient for a week stay with a lot of people. It was never repaired during our stay. There was also no warm/ hot water (solar powered) for showers. House#2 had ripped and dirty furniture. Poor wi fi/ internet service, a littleTLC would go a long way for this to be an excellent property. No excuse , however for no fridge, hot water, or AC. Was looking forward to recommend to groups to follow. Won't now.

Liked best: Location
Liked least: No fridge, cold showers, no internet.
Travelling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
27 Feb 2016
Thank you for your review.

We did advise you about refrigerator - previous guest had turned the fridge and freezer to the coldest settingss, and it had iced up, and had to be switched off to de ice, I offered to plug back in, however was Told it had been done - I was not advised later or at any time that it was not working. - on investigation when house was vacated I discovered that it had been once again put on coldest settings and iced up again.

Air Conditioning. I was not advised of any problem until I saw your note after you left- I investigated and found that the thermostat batteries needed replacing, 1 minute resolution if I had been made aware.

Both the Fridge and Airconditioning were fully operational within 3 hours of your departure

We are sorry that you had these problems, however we were on site all the time for resolution of problems but were not made aware of these. The minor problems that were reported were resolved immediately

We have noted that there was no mention of the fact that we built a wheelchair ramp for ease of access of one of your party, despite that our Trip Advisor information clearly states that houses are not suitable for wheelchair access.

We value your review and will of course advise future guests about reporting problems immediately so that they can be resolved.
CWJude
Ottawa, Canada
“Coconut Cottage - what a way to spend Christmas!”
Reviewed 6 January 2016 for a stay in December 2015

Lovely 3 bdrm house, with 3 bathrooms - perfect for 2 couples and a spare! Not too far to the pool area...and nobody else in it, but us crazy Canucks! A 5 minute drive to the best, and most deserted, beach on the island - one by the tennis courts - fabulous! 10 minutes outside of Georgetown, about a 45 minute drive to the Golf Course!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The beach so close by!
Liked least: The fact that we had to buy our own toilet paper and water!
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
JCSfishma...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“We'll be back.”
Reviewed 8 November 2015 for a stay in October 2015
people found this review helpful

My wife and I, along with two friends, recently stayed at The Cays, and we thoroughly enjoyed everything about the trip. Suffice it to say we will be back regardless of the 10% discount given to repeat guests. The island is gorgeous, the fishing is amazing, and the house was perfect for us.

We've been fortunate to have visited many islands in the Caribbean for fishing and fun. Some trips are heavier on fishing than others, and this was one such week. So first the fishing.

I concentrate primarily on bonefish, and even with terrible tides and cloudy days Exuma provided the best bonefishing I've ever been privileged to experience. We never competed with another boat already fishing a flat (I think I only saw two other boats fly fishing in 6 days of fishing), you have opportunities to fish enormous schools or target singles, and the fishing areas are enormous. Not to mention the natural beauty of the coastline and surrounding islands. What I saw in Exuma rivaled the first morning I woke up in Palau and looked down onto the variations in water color from our hill top room, and I never thought I'd find a place to rival that memory.

The guides we used were first class. I'd use both Stevie and Al on any day either is available. They were equally great with experience fishers and those more novice. Case in point, the other guy we brought down caught his first bonefish on a fly in maybe 30 minutes. I don't think he has yet to grasp how big a deal catching a 3 pounder as a first bonefish is. For my part, I never did get my fish over 10 pounds. But again, that's what repeat visits are for.

Now for the house and grounds...

The Cays is a small conclave cut out of the Bahamian forest on the edge of a bay yielding to some amazing vistas during the day and even better sunsets in the evening. Norman, the owner, developer, and one of the best reincarnations of a friendly, cleaned up pirate (get him to tell you the story), has done one heck of a job putting together an intimate community that this traveler found absolutely perfect...except for one very small issue that I'll mention at the end.

The grounds are very well kept, the pool was immaculate, and the attention to detail really is impressive. Is it sterile like a mega resort, absolutely not, but if you want that experience you should probably be staying at a mega resort. If you want to stay in a nice house on the edge of a bay, cook your own meals when you wish, and fish within 20 steps of your house then I would encourage you to seriously think about The Cays.

The house is a bargain. We had three bedrooms and three bathrooms for 4 people. The third bathroom was probably unneeded for us but did come in handy being directly off the great room. The rooms, common and otherwise, are all well appointed. This includes the gigantic L shaped couch with reclining seats. We didn't watch a lot of TV, but did make use of the satellite TV on occasion. Norman also does a good job with the bugs. We had a bit of rain around the time of our stay, so if you've ever traveled to the tropics you know what that means with mosquitoes. Fortunately even on days/evenings with no breeze the mosquitoes and gnats weren't all that bad at all, and I'll give credit to the exterminator that was there multiple times during our stay. I compare any bug experience to Belize, which I still love, and Exuma could likely never, ever come close to the ferocity of the bugs in Belize on a calm day.

Island generally speaking...

It's the perfect mix of activity when you want it and solitude when you don't. We stayed on Long Island last year, and most of that stay was really great. But it was almost too quiet for us. By way of comparison Nassau has way to much going on for our taste, at least right now. I found Exuma to be somewhere in the middle, and leaning closer to the quiet side. It's big enough to offer many restaurant and bar options, but yet when you want to get away from everyone you truly can. The restaurant 50 yards from The Cays, Catch a Fire, is close enough to be convenient but we never felt it was intrusive. The food and drinks are very good, but bring cash.

In sum, it was a wonderful week at The Cays. I have no doubt we'll be back. After all, I still need to catch that bonefish over 10 pounds...

Oh, I promised a complaint about the stay. The kitchen needed a larger baking dish for cooking meals in the oven, and from our conversation I believe Norman has already corrected that incredibly small problem. When I can walk away from a week in the islands and have my biggest complaint be something that trivial, that's when you know it was a good week.

Tight lines!

greg a
Mississauga, Canada
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed 7 July 2015 for a stay in June 2015
people found this review helpful

Went with group of 10 and the house was large enough to accommodate everyone. Everyone from Norman who looks after the place to Kevin the grounds keeper was fantastic. Thanks again for being so gracious!

Liked best: Beaches
Recommended for:
Families with young children Large groups
8 Jul 2015
Thanks Greg,
It was a pleasure having you all to stay here, we would love to see you come back.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing