US$73
US$330
US$251
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
Club Amigo Costasur(Playa Ancon)
US$95
  • Pool
Hotel Rancho Luna(Cienfuegos)
US$82
  • Breakfast included
Ecoalojamiento El Manantial(Topes de Collantes)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 December 2015

First of all, this is not the "Complejo Topes de Collantes" this is the "Hotel Los Helechos".
Located just around the corner from the Batista-built Kurhotel Escambray on an impossibly steep access road, this 50s timewarp hotel originally built to house soldiers on holiday has both a main accommodation block and then smaller blocks of bungalow rooms on a site containing numerous other random buildings.
The room itself was perfectly clean and functional with good water pressure in the shower, working air conditioning and a balcony to relax on. The small bar in the lobby area serves delicious Mojitos amongst other drinks, for less than £2 with the chatty barman always keen for a natter.
Moving out of the main block and walking through the smaller bungalow blocks, one finds the "Games Room". Complete with an original 1950s American bowling alley, two ping pong tables and a pool table so worn and patched that it looks like a camouflage top, this is the place to relax in the evenings. Look out for Osvaldo, who seems to run the games room and his friend Joel, both eager to challenge guests at pool or talk over some Havana Club. There is also a slightly murky looking swimming pool which is host to a bizarre pool party in the afternoons and a mythical disco which we never found. The restaurant serves typical Cuban fare with a large selection of perfectly good cold plates and a basic hot station where a chef will cook some meat and fish. Breakfast was also good with a wide range of cereals and pastries.
A short walk down the hill behind the main part of the hotel leads to a large abandoned building and allotment where the hotel sources some of its vegetables.
Excursions into the surrounding jungle and treks, aboard the ex Soviet ZIL trucks are both cheap and highly recommended.
Polished luxury it isn't, but authentic and unique Cuba it most certainly is.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building not facing the entrance as these have small balconies.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank Patrick I
Reviewed 24 September 2015

This was one of the worst places I stayed at during my trip around Cuba. I saw it online back home and my friends and I decided to pay it a visit. Much to my regret, as I found the place totally lacking facilities and the service left a sour taste in my mouth. We did not enjoy it at all.

Room Tip: Check the facilities before you check in.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Traveler Z
Reviewed 2 May 2015

We've spent a night in this 1950s hotel. As everything in Cuba it tends to be a little bit fatiscent, but there something about it that amused us.

Rooms were pretty clean and pretty spacious. The buffet was not so various, but more than enough.

Of course we went there to be ready early in the morning for the Rio Melodioso trail, and that one was definitely awesome!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Francesco N
Reviewed 11 December 2014

We've stayed there overnight on our trip to the mountains. It was very bad accomodation. Even if I realize that I am in Cuba still it was bad.
There are small houses you can stay in. Usually one house has 2 bedrooms, 1 kitchen, bathroom and toilet. It is very very spacious, but the equipment is poor, no clean, bathroom horrible, cockroaches are common, the outside are is completely dark in the night. Breakfast and dinner were both poor, nothing special.

I won't reccomend it

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We arrived at the place as four guys with backpacks and a good mood. We planned to do some hiking in the area and wanted to rent a cabin. We asked to see one of the and had the chance to see it. They are quite old but maintained and clean. You could perfectly fit 4 grownups inside but we were forced to rent 2 of them for 2 nights. They gave us the ones at the very end of the area as if they wanted to put us away as far as possible. The breakfast was included in the price but is not very good. It was the saddest one we had during our trip. We even tried dinner once which I really would not recommend you to do! There are great places just down the street.
On the second evening we got a call with the question when we would pay for the second night. As we've already done that in advance we were a bit surprised and of course didn't pay again. The day after we asked after breakfast when we should check out. They said 9am as it was 9:03 and when we asked if that could be true they could not show us any official information about their check in and out time. We again got the feeling that we were not welcome there and they just wanted to get our money and get rid of us as soon as possible.
I want to mention that some of the staff was really nice as well, but not the ones we had to negotiate with.
I would recommend you to check out one of the casas in topes prior to selecting this place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends