“Fantastic place!”
Review of Six Senses Laamu

Six Senses Laamu
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olhuveli Island
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Fantastic place! Clean ocean with a super house reef. Friendly staff. Comfortable conditions for a great holiday life - modern beach villa, various restaurants. One night I met an ovipositing
turtle !!!! We found an idea to offer complimentary bikes for each villa inspiring and amazing, riding it recalled our fun youth feelings. Our family was really happy there and we had everything for that: professional service, positive atmosphere and stunning nature.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank UFOlga
Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed 21 September 2012

It was our first time at a Sixth Senses resort after having stayed at both Four Seasons and Banyan Tree in Maldives. My husband and I really wanted to like this place (especially since it's our 2nd wedding anniversary but we left feeling letdown by the service we heard so much abt on tripadvisor. Our GEM, Hassan, is great, so was the incredibly patient Steve at the watersports centre (who btw is a great surfing teacher!) but there were a couple of unpleasant experiences that we didn't expect and were somewhat surprised that other guests have not written or encountered it. Maybe it's just our luck but I don't think we were being anal abt our stay experience.

The first unpleasant experience came from their diving centre. I think it is an outsourced outfit which prob partially explained for our experience. While the snorkeling and dive equipments are clean and in very good condition, we didn't enjoy the fact that we were lied to just so they can profit more from us. Maybe we are wrong but this is the first time I have ever heard of a so-called Maldives regulation that require certified divers who have not dived in the last 3 months to sign up for a refresher dive prior to any group dive with them. My husband is an advanced PADI diver who has completed a minimum of 80 dives but the lady from the dive centre claimed in her heavily accented (German?) voice, "I don't know abt the rest of the world, but over here in Maldives, the authorities require you to have dived in the last 3 months. To us, 80 dives is too little." We initially gave in coz we were keen to see manta rays in maldives and signed up for the refresher course (think it was 150usd). But in the end, the more we thought abt it, the more we didn't think we should have given in to their exploits, so we cancelled our 2 tank dives the next day, which was not cheap in the first place. I wondered if others experienced this pressure to sign up for additional refresher dives. The same lady (owner, I suspect) wasn't very nice either when I asked when does she think we could see dolphins swimming from the hotel (I read that many guests tend to see them from chill restaurant on trip advisor and enquirer abt it). She gave me a very compromising smile and in a strained voice, replied along the lines of how was she to know the wild dolphins schedule. I tried asking again "like morning or maybe in the evening?" and she repeated her answer again but in a somewhat terse voice.

As it's the monsoon, there were intermittent rains on our first two days and nights. No fault of theirs but I thought the hotel was very badly managed on the second night of nonstop rain. Instead of cycling, we decided to call for a buggy to the restaurant. we didn't mind waiting but after 1.5 hours, we got impatient. First, the staff explained it's because there were only 2 buggies serving the entire island and one was sent to help with a group who just arrived. Second time we called, they said, one buggy is out of battery and that we continue to wait. Finally when we were starving, the buggy arrived but strangely the driver staff kept his umbrella to himself as we had to run in the rain his buggy. Later, he refused to,drop us at the restaurant saying his buggy is running low on battery too and that we run the remaining 200m without umbrella to the Japanese restaurant. A similar thing happened when we asked for a buggy back to our villa but this time, it's more creative. The driver said the buggy will overturn at the jetty if he drives us to our villa, and that he can only stop us at the start of jetty c and we had to run all the way on the slippery wood floor and in the rain till the other end of the jetty where our villa was. My husband and I laughed at our very strange evening but I really can't say our experience was comparable with the rest here.

Oh, and third incident was on our last nightwhen we tried to book a BBQ dinner for 2 on the beach that same morning. Throughout our stay the BBQ dinner was always cancelled and it was the only good evening that didn't rain that week. We were hoping to enjoy our last night but staff refused to give us seats, claiming Leaf was overbooked! I mean comeon, 2 persons are not possible when you have such a long stretch of beach. Besides, if you know you are having 90% occupancy, couldn't you have planned more food ahead of time? The GM who welcomed us on arrival was there too, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said (ok, somewhat ernestly) "sorry". We were most disappointed.

Other than that, the room was nice. Love the shower and bath tub in our water villa. Beautiful reef and fish. Oh, and one advice is that if you are not a strong swimmer, or have children, don't take jetty c. The currents are very strong, and even one of the nice British guy who gave us our snorkeling equipment at the dive centre, strongly recommended against snorkeling there due to it's strong currents. It's somewhat difficult for me to swim back and I decided to just swim only close to the villa... Abit scary for me...

The jungle movie was a great idea with comfy lounge beds but there were so much mosquitoes! I thought the staff at the 2 hour movie session could have been better trained to offer ice water and repellant instead of standing there.

Finally (argh, I know how whiny i must sound now!) while the breakfast quality was good and has one of the best juice menu I have ever seen, they tend to offer the same exact buffet offerings everyday, save for 1 day when they changed chicken sausage to lamb sausage. A little surprised they don't try to rotate the variety like Banyan tree does...

Oh but the gym overlooking the ocean, and the spa in the cocoon were most breathtaking amazing! Our jaws literally dropped upon entry. Only issue was that the spa cocoon is on the beach and it's not exactly private! I was stripping down completely when a Japanese family walked by on the beach right in front of me in the cocoon. Kinda embarrassing... Pls try to block walk access on this stretch of beach.

I am sorry it was such a long post, but I just earnestly feel that it's a shame for such a beautiful resort to be so poorly managed, particularly at this price point, in a sixth sense property. I hesitated writing the truth abt our experience (every single incident truly happened to us) and am rather disappointed how different my experience is to many others who obviously had such a wonderful time here. Perhaps I will give Gili lakanfushi a try the next time. My friends who were previously thinking of booking laamu but decided against it following our experience told us that gill lakanfushi was still the best one they have ever been to in Maldives...je Maybe next time!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
19  Thank lullullull
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We've just returned from our honeymoon at Six Senses Laamu. I have never written a review here, but this place deserves one. 'Paradise on earth' is a cliche, but it's an accurate one.

Resort

The island itself is pristine, not over-developed, with stunning views, colours and surroundings. You really do feel like you're on a jungle tropical island, without any of the discomforts (we went during the Wet Monsoon but it only rained once in 11 days, at night). This is not an opulent, over-the-top mega-resort. Rather, it is a wellness resort dedicated to living well, and the look and feel of the place are natural, understated, super-comfortable and absolutely gorgeous. They've done a great job of immersing guests in the 'Slow Life' experience. The Spa is beautiful and the treatments there are top-class - we spent way too money there, no regrets! The villas are definitely a highlight. Everything feels organic and natural, including the materials and designs. The water villa was a very special experience, but surprisingly we liked the beach villa even more. The private stretch of beach, the surrounding forest, the sense of seclusion... In general, just walking around the island and taking it all in never got boring. So, so nice. Even the bathrooms in the common areas were gorgeous! The house reef was great. I am not a big diver or anything, but I think it was impressive that on a single snorkeling trip we managed to see a white-tip shark and an eagle ray and swim with a sea turtle (special thanks to marine biologist Simona!)

The service was the best I have experienced in any hotel or resort, full stop. It seemed like every time we wanted something, it would materialize or was taken care of in advance. We were genuinely spoiled. Our GEM Hannah did a great job of making the entire stay seem so effortless and making things happen for us. I find that at most hotels and resorts there is always a bit of effort involved in getting what you want. Not so in this place. There was none at all, in fact. The trip there and back was smooth and easy. The staff were generally warm and friendly without crowding us, and we were on a first-name basis with many of them one week into our stay. Flawless service. We will genuinely miss Hannah, Ali, chef Rambo, Hamid, Sammon and the many others who helped make the trip special.

As a major foodie, this is actually a big factor for me. Still, I did not expect the food to be so good, given that it was a holiday resort in which you have little choice but to eat what they serve. It turns out that we ate some of the best food ever at SSL. The seafood, curries, various Asian cuisines... no deep-fried stuff here. Everything felt healthy and fresh, and we actually felt healthier and 'cleaner' at the end of our stay. We didn't drink much alcohol or even soft drinks - no need when the fruit juices are so great. I would say the food was one of Six Senses' strong points and that the resort should leverage this more. Top class cooking and ingredients. Great.

Highlights

Sandbank BBQ (you must experience this)
Snorkeling on the house reef
Cooking Hut curries
Watching the sunset from Chill
Lobster BBQ on the beach
Sunset Dolphin Safari
Altitudes Wine Dinner
Asian Fusion Spa (expensive but worth it!)
Catamaran sailing
Jungle Cinema!

There are probably quite a few others, but that's a start...

This was truly an unforgettable experience and the best honeymoon we could have wished for. People warned us that we would be bored for 11 days on a resort. Nonsense. I was heartbroken to leave... I could have spend another few months there. If you like nature, food, the sea and 'de-toxing' from modern life, go to Six Senses Laamu.

Room Tip: Beach Villa 88. Beach villas in general are more private and cosier than water villas and, we felt...
Reviewed 14 September 2012

An amazing place, the best equipped water villas I've ever seen. Great bathroom facilities with 2 showers, a glass bottom bath and all overlooking the amazing ying yang surf break, not overlooked at all. The sound system in the villa was easily integrated to and the Bose sound system was fantastic quality and well set-up for the environment. I completed several dives with all university educated dive masters who new safety and detail of sites impeccably. Mantas, Sharks, Neudis and Leaf fish were all seen. My wife was pregnant and the staff were good to accommodate food wise, and the spa had a pregnancy massage too. The bar has an amazing selection of liqueurs and cocktails and they have a full time DJ and percussionist there as well who also sorts out the music for the venues across the whole island. Brilliant chill out and lounge music, that really puts a personal touch and relaxed air to locations and the overall hotel environment. All in all; a very special place.

Room Tip: Jetty C is least overlooked of the watervillas and where we stayed, but it's the furthest walk f...
2  Thank 516Steve
Reviewed 13 September 2012

My wife & I stayed here in September 2012 for 15 glorious nights. The reefs and the marine life were the best! Snorkeling with turtles and stingrays over a beautiful reef - cool! The quality of our over-water ocean villa, the resort facilities are absolutely first class. The food is so fresh and the chefs so talented. As we know it's the people that make a pace and the people here could not be friendlier or more helpful. All of this in a resort that lives up to Six Senses renowned sustainability credentials.

An extra special feature of our time in Laamu was having well known DJ Bar'el Wachtel entertaining everyone each evening for sunset cocktails in the over-water Chill bar and hearing his music while we enjoyed dinner in Longitude, and for after dinner drinks. One suggestion for management would be to have Bar'el's music being played in their signature restaurant Leaf as it would match the atmosphere perfectly.

Thanks for a wonderful stay, we'll be back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an Ocean Water villa
1  Thank Paul J
Reveries Diving Village
#1 of 2 in Gan Island
17.6 km away
Nazaki Residences Beach Hotel

Been to Six Senses Laamu? Share your experiences!