US$157
US$2,866
US$1,398
Savings alert! 45% below average rates

The price you found is 45% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$2,523/night.

Honors Residence(Gan Island)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$35
Bina Surf Camp(Thimarafushi)
US$67
Bambukeyo Villa(Dhaalu Atoll)
US$140
US$134
Nazaki Residences Beach Hotel(Gan Island)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$103
US$66
  • Pool
1,527 results
All reviewsour honeymoonfishdomestic flightmale airportwater sportshalf boardother resortsmarine lifeparadise on earththe general managerlaamu atollspecial thankseagle raysindian oceanevery mealworld classbeautiful island
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Six Sense Laamu is a brand new resort since April 2011, being the first and only resort located at the Laamu atoll, we experienced something really remote and different from other resorts located in the North and South Male atoll.

There is a long way to reach the heaven, after checked in at the domestic flight counter with the Six Senses staff , we were guided to the domestic flight lounge at 09:00am. (the lounge is for guests who go to other resort as well, hence it could be a bit crowd ), our original flight time was 10:40am., food are served for free in a la carte bases (selection of juices and sandwiches), the quality is quite ok, with complimentary wifi which helps you to kill time. Unfortunately, we waited until 11:50am. before we could get on the plane due to some other delay guests from British Airways, but it was lack of communication from the Laamu airport representatives, so we were a bit of nervous when seeing all other people left the lounge to other resorts while we were waiting for more than 2 hours.

The little domestic flight to Laamu is much smaller than the flight to Shangri-la and Park Hyatt (where we stay in 2009 and 2010), similar to a seaplane rather than domestic flight, each side with 1 seat, you will see the resort from the left side if you want to take an aerial photo, but you cannot select the seat by yourself, it is assigned by the Maldivian airline . The flight time is approx. 45 mins. After landing at the KDO airport, Six Senses staff will pick you up and handle your luggage, guide you to have a short walk to the speed boat.

Another 20 mins. Boat ride, we arrived at the beautiful island, the GM. And our GEM (butler) greeted us and the GEM introduced the facilities all around.

Villa:
We are lucky enough to get the villa we requested, Water Villa 19 is located at the end of Jetty A, with wider sea view, facing the sun rise side, I enjoyed the wonderful sun rise moment every morning when laying on my own deck. I could see other villas on Jetty B, but it is in a reasonable distance, so I do not feel it bother me too much. The villa itself is not huge if compare with other Soneva and Six Senses Properties, but I would say, being the latest resort of the brand, it combines almost all advantages of the design of every single old properties, which make the villa of Six Senese Laamu become a compact, well designed and user friendly villa. The deck is spacious, will the best outdoor dining area I've had in Maldives. There is also a little dining table + working desk facing the ocean indoor, so you can enjoy lunch inside the villa with sea view to avoid the sun if you want. The bathroom is having a transparent bath tub, some people will like it, but I personally feel it is not as relaxing as the one in Park Hyatt. The outdoor shower is private, size is good enough for 2 people, after snorkeling or swimming , climb up directly from the ladder and reach the bathroom, a very nice touch and design, far better than Shangri-la.
Six Senses's bed linen is always outstanding, soft and clean, very comfortable .
The only lack of the villa is a larger closet area, I prefer to have a place for my luggage rather than placing them right next to the sinks.
There was a Sea turtle swimming across he lagoon regularly in the afternoon and passed by my villa, I saw him 5 times from my deck in different days during my stay.

Food:
We are very picky people, the food in SSL is so so, I tried all restaurants, In villa dining and private Sandbank BBQ, none of the food impressed me, but we don't go Maldives for food, right? I count the environment to be the most important, dine under the star at your private deck next to the ocean is full of WOW factors, the private Sand Bank BBQ is also a must try item. One of the best offer of SSL is that, even your package is in HB or FB, you could get a credit to dine in all restaurants and in villa dining, it is definitely a nice touch, most of the 5 stars resorts do not allow the flexibility like that.
The food price is similar to the other 5 stars resorts, but surprisingly that it is more expensive than Soneva Fushi, which should be in higher ranking of the group and food quality is even lower than Fushi.
I heard that during the low season, the island could be full of Chinese tourists from Mainland, the Longitude restaurant serving buffet at night could be a bit crowd and noisy.

Snorkeling:
There were some previous reviews saying Lammu's Snorkeling is very disappointing. I believe they did not go to the right places in the island.
When we ask the dive center where is the best places to go for snorkeling, they told us to go to the Chill bar area, if you just go there, you will find some dead corals and fishes, kind of disappointment. But we did not give up, we then went back to our villa and explore the area from end of Jetty A, all along from the edge of reef towards the Sandbank, we are really impressed by the huge and healthy corals, sea turtles, napoleon fishes, nemo, eel, lobsters, octopus, sting rays, rich of marine life. We have high requirements for snorkeling, we found SSL is compatible with W Retreat and Park Hyatt which we experienced fabulous snorkeling too.
The only disadvantage is the best snorkeling area is really quite far from Jetty B, C and beach villas, but you could ride your bike and start your adventure from the end of Jetty A, there is a stair case towards the ocean.
Pls. be aware somehow the current could be a bit strong and I guess this is one of the reason why the staff did not mention this area when we ask. Besides, there is a rental fee at USD5 for a safe suit per day, snorkeling gear is free for borrow, but we brought our own.

Service:
Our GEM, Huiling, did a good job, overall the service from different sections is above average, not excellent, but good enough if you do not need extremely high attention from staff.

Beach:
I did not spend much time on the beach, but the main beach (facing opposite to the water villa) is definitely a very nice one, wide, clean, white sandy and never feel it is too crowd. I did not stay in the beach villa, but many of them are having a wonderful private beach.

Spa:
OK, not very outstanding if compare with Soneva Fushi and other resorts I've been in Maldives. The nestle design is beautiful, but be aware there is no air-conditioning, I know the ocean breeze is very natural and comfort, but I feel bad if my therapist keep sweating while massaging me in the day time, try to book a treatment around late afternoon.

Activities:
We joined several activities during our stay, comment are as below:

1. Sandbank cocktail party - complimentary and held every Tue (better check if there is changes) , this is something you should not miss, with nice Maldivian music and dance, complimentary cocktails and snacks, nice place to watch sunset. Be aware that boat arrangement could be quite messy and queue over 10, 15 mins. when the resort is full, go and leave earlier could avoid the waiting time.
2. Sandbank Sunrise and breakfast - around USD150++ per couple, private and nice, remember to bring your own music and snorkeling gear.
3. Sandbank BBQ dinner - around USD400++ per couple, the normal booking time is start from 19:30, it will become very dark by that time, we tried to request the resort to let us go around 18:00 or 18:30, as they do not have other booking on that afternoon, they let us to go earlier, we enjoy a private sunset on your own sandbank. Different from the breakfast, there will be 3 staff together with you serving your dinner, but they will stay quite far and only appear when you need them.
4. Private Sunrise trip with little Dhoni (you can find the photo from the official website) - around USD150++ per couple, there are 2 day beds on the dhoni, operated by 2 staff, a romantic trip, we saw beautiful sun rise and some Dolphins, but it is subject to weather, only go when there is a calm sea.
5. Half day private island picnic - around USD550++ per couple, if you only chose to have 1 activity, this is the "Must" one. The Hanfushi island has the most beautiful beach I've ever seen in my life (we are very frequent traveler), we spent 6 hours on the inhibited island, only 2 of us, but we do not feel boring, we only feel time passed so fast when we have to leave.
6. Snorkeling trip - around USD50++ per person, the Marine biologist and dive center staff bring us to two snorkeling points inside the atoll by dhoni, quite a lot to see, similar quality as the best area of the house reef, but it could be a group of people to go together, if you want something private, then you might not like it. But if you don't know much about swim and snorkel, it could be a good idea to follow the experts.

To Conclude, SSL is a very nice resort in a remote location within the heaven of Maldives, it made us feel very different from the other busy atoll, it is peaceful and quite (even we went during Christmas and New Year), definitely worth to go.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
24  Thank Frequent T
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

The ultimate place to stay, the water villas are amazing we were in villa 19 on jetty A defiantly the best villa on the island. The food the staff the activities you can't go past six senses laamu.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Jace1979
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I stayed for 4 nights , actually it was 3 nights .. but i couldnt resists the beauty and I extend it one more night .. i wished more ..
I booked water villa .. Villa No. 69 , it was more privacy more than others .. cause it was the last villa in the third line .. it was facing the sun rise ,, and the moon shine ...
the staff was great , helpful very kind .. the manager himself was so kind and welcome us when we arrived and you can see him every where , every time .. God bless him and his staff ..
everything you need is there from tooth paste to a needle ..
the food was great .. as we are muslim and we dont eat pork or drinks alcohols.. the staff were always notify us which food contain such kinds ... that was so appreciated ..

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sara_MKL
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Setting is beautiful in Lamuu on its own atoll with most of the restaurants and bar areas over the water.

Stayed in a water bungalow on pier A, was huge with enormous private deck area, double lounger, loads of space to chill out in the shade if needed, nets over the water, sliding doors to open up whole room onto deck.

Outdoor shower and bath area awesome. You must have a moonlight bath with the french windows open, music one gazing down to the sea below through the perspex base of the bath!

Room well kitted out with everything needed including hats, suncream, aloe gel, and a list of anything extra you could think of.

Pillow choices and room scents nice touch, as were the personalised number plates on the bikes for each bungalow.

Food is outstanding, we dined at Leaf as they had a visiting famous UK TV chef but was a little disappointing. Breakfast is an experience no need for lunch!

Chocolate room, ice cream parlour, sushi room and wine cellar all a sight to behold.

We did some scuba and snorkelling right on the house reef which was not the best ever but you could get better with a short boat trip away. Also can surf nearby too.

Well organised but understated 'activities' to keep you entertained if you get bored just lazing around. Moonlight yoga, spa, water sports, BBQ, cocktail party etc

Staff are outstanding and really set this place apart from many others.

You must experience the Maldives and the Six Senses once in your life!

Room Tip: Any water bungalow, ask for one that gets sun on the deck late afternoon.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mybestchina
Reviewed 14 May 2012

One of the best accomodations we have ever visited. Friendly staff and personel, great restaurant, one of the best places to dive. For sure not the last time we visited this paradise!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends