“Honeymoon in heaven”
Review of Six Senses Laamu

Six Senses Laamu
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olhuveli Island
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Six Senses Laamu was the most AMAZING place we have been to. Maldives is naturally beautiful with its crystal clear waters and soft light sand, but the service and attention to detail given to us by the staff at six senses laamu made it an unforgettable trip. We were treated in the best way possible by the most friendly staff right from the airport in arrivals all the way to departure. Our over water villa was pefect, and we woke up to the beautful sunsent each morning. The food was endless and desserts..... YUMMMMM. We only stayed for 6 days as we were told that we may get bored, but we wish we stayed longer- it was serene, tranquil, and romantic. Wish we were back there! The best part of our honeymoon, definitley recommend it!!!!

Anthony and Alesia

Room Tip: Over water villas - jetty A
1  Thank alesia d
Write a ReviewReviews (1,327)

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Arriving from busy Bangkok at 11pm, we were greated by Marteyne the GM, our GEM and suprisingly by the Kids Club Manager Shelomi. We have two children (3 and 4 years old).
It was our first time in the Maldives and a long awaited belated honeymoon trip. I had never put our children in a kids club before but "the Den" (as they call it) was what made our vacation really exceptionnal. My husband and I could enjoy a break without being worried about the children for they were being taken care of by Shelomi who had them wrapped around her finger in no time, offering a series of outside and fun activities close to nature and using all that was available to her in her direct environment. High five my dear you are amazing.
Magical moments on property were seeing dolphins jump in front of us while having our breakfast, watching the sunrise on the white sand beach with not a soul in site, going to sleep at night with the sound of the waves in the background.
As for the wow effects, were the staff really got us was when it rained one night and instead of cyling back to our villa we left our bikes by the pier and took a buggy. The next morning we opened the villa door and found our bikes parked in front, they had been returned during the night.
Attention to details are numerous and you really do get into that "slow mode" after a few days.Thank you to all the staff at Six Sensses Laamu for a memorable stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Laurence D
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We stayed eight days in Six Senses Laamu in the Southern Atoll of Laamu in Maldives. This is my eight visit to different resorts and Atolls in the Maldives and we are very delighted with our stay.

RESORT OVERVIEW
The resort is located in the remote Atoll called Laamu in the Southern of Maldives. The overwater villas and the layout and turquoise water reminded us of Four Seasons Bora Bora (but Six Senses had also great natural white sand beach as well). So far Six Senses is the only resort in the Atoll which makes it even more special. The remoteness and the lack of boat traffic (unlike North and South Male Atolls) is obvious. There is huge pod of dolphins coming from the channel in front of the main jetty and the main bar and restaurant each single day, from 7.30 maybe to 8.30 noramally, but sometimes even at lunch time – you can see hundreds of dolphins. There is great reef there with many species of fish as well as turtles, eagle rays and even baby reef sharks. The majority of the resort guests currently are honeymooners from Korea, Japan and Hong Kong. There are not so many scuba divers, but this for sure will change in the future as the Laamu atoll will become very popular among divers. Laamu Atoll is different than Ari Atoll, Baa Atoll, Noonu Atoll, Lhaviyani atoll and so on. It is more calm (the sea inside the atoll is like a lake) no big waves and very good weather.

GUEST VILLAS
We stayed in Lagoon Overwater Villa and we are very happy with our choice. We were on Jetty A (villa 26) which had spectacular views. All in all every water villa is very private, maybe I would not recommend only villas 1, 2 and 3 which have less privacy as they look onto the Longitude restaurant.
For every villa there are at least 2 bicycles provided and I found that very useful as the island is very big and the Maldivian sun is very strong. There are a lot of other reviewers that say that Jetty A is better than Jetty B and C, but in my opinion IF you have no problem riding a bike (many people cannot ) Jetty B and C are even more private than A. It will only take you one more minute or less of bike riding to go there so, for me all jetties are good. If you cannot ride a bike there are few tricycles so you can ask for one of them.

Our water villa was great with ultra comfortable bed and outside shower and bath tub. Great deck with sun chairs and table with many glass floor see through.
Room bathroom amenities we had 3 types (sets) of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel – the standard one with lemongrass smell, the after sun one with the lavender smell and one of the surprises you can order the peppermint set, which was my favorite. On arrival you can set this details with your villa attendant (you have a form to fulfill near the bed side). Our Villa Attendant (his name is Nasheed) was brilliant. This guy was fantastic, making different surprises every night. For the birthday of my wife, he made 3 hearts in the bed from One bed sheet ! Amazing ! The villa attendant will provide a special smelling aromas (he have done that during the night turn down service) in your night pillows, you can choose your own flavor, such as lavender or ylang-ylang, lemongrass or other and you can sleep like a baby.

FOOD
Chef Ansari (from India), chef Norio from Osaka, Japan, Chef Ivan from Spain (Barcelona), made sure we had great food in the resort. From Longitude to Chill. Great sushi and tempura, fresh grilled fish every day. Our favorite waiter was a mega friendly guy called Niyaz, waiter in Longitude. Our minor disappointment was the variety of the food in Leaf that’s why we dined there only once. Leaf is like a “fine dining” concept, but for us it was like “cuisine nuevo” big plates with very small portion inside. But the other restaurants MORE than make up for GOOD FOOD. The breakfast buffet is fantastic with huge choices of fresh juices and fruits, eggs, pancakes, pastries and great choices of meats and cheeses (located cleverly the wine cellar next to Longitude restaurant). And the fresh sushi and tempura by Chef Norio were more than brilliant. Also for food the chefs are willing to take all your requests and wishes and make you happy. I encourage you to go and speak to them and the chefs won’t let you down. On my wife birthday which we celebrated together with our friends we had a special menu set by chef Ivan – that included a whole tuna fish (caught by our friend the same day in a local fisherman trip, which we said was astonishing experience)

SUSTAINABILITY
The resort have put sustainability their top priority. We love the fact that the resort policy is not to sell water in plastic bottles. I really do not like when you see bottles of Evian or similar shipped from the other side of the world PET bottles of water. Basically Six Senses have made a mini-plant to produce clean drinking water (with the same desalination technology they use to provide fresh water to the resort), bottle it in returnable glass bottles (with the nice ceramic cap) and you drink clean water in e very environmentally friendly way. On the top of that the resort is making no money from the water, donating in charity 2,5 USD from every bottle the visitor pays in local charities like schools and hospitals and so on. What a noble thing to do. The resort have a waste treatment plant which turns all the waste from the toilettes and food and so on INTO CLEAN WATER – which they carefully use to water-up their organic gardens. All in efforts to turn everything into zero carbon emissions.

SCUBA DIVING
Being the only resort in the Laamu Atoll we are in special place for scuba diving. Petra (the owner of dive center Ocean Dimensions) is very nice German lady with good sense of humor, which has long experience diving in the Maldives and she also have put together a great team. From the boat captain Bakhuru, to Kim, Di and Mary (Japan lady which happen to be my wife teacher 3 years ago in W Maldives resort – what a nice meeting with her). I did make 2 superb full day dive trips to the western side of the Laamu Atoll in 1 week (dive sites Maavah Kandu and Mannafushi Kandu) - with sightings of really big mantas (one with white back has probably 5 meter wing span), schools of eagle rays, barracudas, sting rays, jackfish and bannerfish, plenty of big napoleons, some stingrays, some huge hawksbill turtles AND of course plenty of grey reef sharks and even more white tip reef sharks. Mavaah Kandu is rare place where you can see BOTH Manta and 20 Grey reef sharks in ONE DIVE SITE. The honorable mention of course we should not to forget the dolphins that were playing around the boat on each trip. We had excellent weather and food (my favorite focaccias with prosciutto and mozzarella were amongst them) and almost no waves. Inside the atoll the diving is perfect for beginners with almost no waves and current, perfect visibility and plenty of things to see from turtles, anemone fish, oriental sweet lips, powder-blue surgeonfish, leaf fish, batfish, lionfish, scorpion fish, butterfly fish, Moorish idol, angel fish, napoleons, parrot fish, trigger fish, jackfish, porcupine fish, the Laamu atoll special harlequin hawkfish and so on… the usual inhabitants of the Indian Ocean).

The only drawback for the diving was the very slow dive boat (although very big and comfortable dive boat). It takes almost 2 hours to pass the 25km to Mannafushi Kandu, which is too slow. This problem is known by the management, which ordered big new custom build very nice diving boat with 2 powerfull engines, but this will take probably 7 months the boat to be delivered according to the General manager of the resort Marteyne (very nice lady which happened to be a also experienced scuba diver).

TRAVEL AND TRANSFERS
Six Senses is quite a trip, you need to go to Male, from Male you must go on the domestic terminal and fly via Maldiviana Airlines to the nearby Kadhdhoo Airport, and from there you are met with Six Senses and by Speedboat of another 30 minutes you arrive in the beautiful resort. I found that I much more like the usual WATERPLANE which you take to other resorts. It is much more faster and efficient. The current transfer system is taking way too long as you have to wait regular flights and to combine it with other guests, and in a single trip it took us about 12 hours wait in between Male and the resort. I raised this question to the management and the GM Mrs. Marteyne said that she taken this question to the board and they discussing to have our own private plane in the future to transport guests directly from Male to the resort in a more convenient way. If they do that there is no doubt that going to Six Senses Laamu, you will be in paradise all the way.

OVERALL
Stunning remote Maldivian Atoll, clear turquoise waters, great and abundant marine life, sustainable eco-friendly resort with all the luxury you need. If you are honeymooner or scuba diver or just want great quality time with your partner, you cannot go wrong with Six Senses Laamu. Wish we were still there…

Room Tip: If you can ride a bike ALL Overwater villas are good incl. on Jetty C and B. If you do not ride a bi...
16  Thank ivo_k
Reviewed 15 November 2011

It was a long journey from Manchester to Laamu with waits at Dubai & Male for connecting flights we finally arrived to a warm welcome (from the lovely Resident Manager Sophie and our GEM) at the Six Sense Laamu jetty after approx 20 hrs travelling !.

The next 10 days were truly the "no news no shoes experience" - our water bungalow (Jetty A villa 11) was just what we needed to strip away all those stresses of life in the UK & for the full holiday we really didn't wear shoes to breakfast or evening dinner or anytime in between !

Our trikes were such fun to ride from the villa to breakfast etc daily.

After a few days total R&R we started our diving expeditions - Petra (Ocean Dimensions) with our regular dive instructors team Kim & Di made our diving fun, informative & safe. Culminating in our last dive which has been our best ever ! From the moment we dropped in (having been accompanied by Dolphins during the boat trip !) we were privilged to see white tipped reef shark, grey reef shark, manta ray, feather tailed ray, massive turtle, barracuda, tuna etc etc etc !! a real WOW experience all in 50 minutes !

Promo (?) the assistant restaurant manager was outstanding in (after a small issue at "Chill") went out of his way to ensure that any shortcoming was more than sufficiently compensated with a wonderful beach dining experience at "Leaf" - for this we thank-you with deep appreciation.

We had a wonderful time chatting & spending diving with other residents - Karen & Mark, Astrid & Bernd, Anka, Ellen & Husband, Fabio & Greg etc.

Finally the staff - from our lovely room servicing guy (Wyatt), to the General Manager (Martine) all were eager to please. If we have to single anyone out it would have to be 3 people - Sophie, Kim & Di - they know just how special they made our vacation & we thank-you from the bottom of our hearts.

Not the cheapest holiday ! (ooch to the wine prices !) but worth all the hard work throughout the year to experience such relaxation.

We look forward to our next Six Sense trip asap ! (oh & we even met & chatted to Sonu Shivdasani the SS Founder & Chairman on the Wine Tasting Evening !!)

Room Tip: Select Jetty A if you can from Villa 11 > Villa 18 onwards for uninterupted views (but then they...
3  Thank totoscard
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Six Senses Laamu delivers the usual Six Senses philosophy of rustic eco-luxe. From the moment you arrive your shoulders drop and you are guaranteed a life-enhancing stay.
Sophie was very welcoming and we appreciated her decison to check whether we wanted to go straight to our villa or be shown the main hub of the island first.

The journey is a little more challenging than some due to the Laamu Atoll's location, but I found the domestic flight plus speedboat absolutely fine even with a 5 year old in tow. The lounge at Male is perfectly adequate for killing time.

For us the highlights were:
- the natural beauty of the island
- picnic on the sand bank
- the warmth and quality of care and stimulation at the complimentary Kids Club. Shelmoli really understands what makes kids tick and her Montissori background helped ensure that my little one didn't feel "dumped" - he actually wanted to spend time at the Kids Club. They did plenty of craft work and puzzles as well as building sandcastles. A nice touch was Shelmoli's decision to set up an outdoor play area in the shade with swing and monkey bar. She also went to considerable trouble to send photos of the kids at play. As a widow I really appreciated knowing that my son was in good hands thus enabling me to relax a little.
- the quality and layout of the spa ( ask for one of the couples' rooms for a view to die for)
- Naga on breakfast service tracking down a glass of prosecco even though breakfast had officially finished
-similarly the cook at breakfast (sorry didn't get his name) for locating a secret stash of mango for my little one
- Dai and Ali from the Watersports who patiently taught my son to snorkel

Downside for me was:
- patchy room service and housekeeping. It probably sounds a little petty but I took the trouble to specify on a specially designed form that I would like lemon grass shower gel in the bathroom and ice served at 5pm daily only to find that these items didn't materialise. i was told that the ice had been served at 4pm whilst I was out - don't they realise that ice will melt at 38 degrees? I only got the ice on one single day.There were quite a few small errors with room service such as delivering double the amount of ice cream. Even though I had set myself the challenge of eating my way through as many of the 60 delicious flavours on offer, I wasn't expecting to eat quite so many scoops at one sitting!
-However the real shock for me was the cost of the extras. I have been fortunate enough to stay in most of the Six Senses properties worldwide as well as many luxury resorts in the Maldives but I have never reeled so much at the cost of the food & beverage and other extras. It made me conclude that there must be a conscious decision to keep the basic price reasonable and rely on ancilliary revenue which added 60% to the cost of the holiday. More Ryanair than Six Senses. $18 for a child spaghetti bolognese?
-GEMs are not as intuitive, responsive or proactive as at other Six Senses properties - but admittedly the bar has been set high at the other locations

Overall then Maldives Heaven but at Hellish prices. And amazingly I didn't fall off the bike once!

Room Tip: Beach villas are good for those with children. Certain over water jetties better than others so chec...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
17.7 km away
Pallazo Laamu
Pallazo Laamu
#1 of 4 in Gan Island

Been to Six Senses Laamu? Share your experiences!