“Magic in the Maldives”
Review of Six Senses Laamu

Six Senses Laamu
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olhuveli Island
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Six Senses Laamu is an absolutely magical spot. From the moment you arrive at the local airport and are whisked by speedboat to the island, you feel like you have....."arrived".
Attention to detail is superb. You will feel like island royalty as you enjoy one of the exquisitely adorned villas, each with their own special part of the island made into your personal jungle or ocean playland.

From the nourishing juice shots before each meal, specially crafted for their health benefits, to the turn down service that prepares you for divine rest, nothing is overlooked. The staff is gracious and will become like family, you will never forget the brilliant light in their eyes or their engaging smiles as they ensure that your stay in paradise is as perfect as possible.

Like to be barefoot? This is the island for you- after a week with the sand in your toes you will realize that shoes are definitely over-rated.

The food is incredible, and the array of cuisine from Maldivian to Sri Lankan to Indian to Thai to Japanese, fusion and then some will wake your taste buds up to food experiences that you perhaps have never had. Meeting the chefs and engaging with them during the bi-weekly buffets is a great opportunities for foodies to dive into the cultures of their passion. A daily ice cream cone from the handmade selection is the perfect way to keep cool.

The water sports center is fully stocked with top of the line equipment. Marc and Petra at Ocean Dimensions will ensure that you will not be bored- from wake boarding to kayaking to surf, windsurf, kite, and stand up, grab a board and go! It's never too late to start. Go diving and snorkeling and explore the surrounding reefs, full of wildlife and coral gardens that will blow your mind. I loved seeing the dolphin pods swim by in the afternoons, and swimming in the school of fishes that congregate around the reeflines.

I had some really amazing spa treatments, including acupuncture with a visiting acupuncturist that was some of the best I have had anywhere in the world. They put great care into hand selecting their practitioners and ensuring they offer unique treatments and inspire the holistic wellness experience. The treatment rooms are "nests", appropriately designed for the nourishment of their practices.

Watching movies in the open air jungle cinema, under the galaxy, is a 5 shooting star experience.

Keep an eye out for the lizards and mystical bats that are your neighbors, and don't miss checking out the amazing array of fauna and flora as you walk through the jungle and realize...you are a welcome guest at this island oasis.

My experience at Laamu was fundamentally shifting for me. When I travel I like to- through my experiences- grow, develop and change, so that I can be more present, cultured, alive and well. Six Senses Laamu offers all of this. As I rode the boat away and waved to all of the people who had become like family to me, I knew it would not be long before I would be coming back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank KristinHettermann
Write a ReviewReviews (1,352)

Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed in a beachside villa which was fantastic. The snorkeling was the highlight. We were surrounded by 5 turtles and saw eagle rays every day. Downsides were having to pay for water. This wasn't evian or any fancy mineral water. This was normal drinking water. Having paid a lot of money, you would expect that drinking water is free. For that reason I give it a value of 2. Our GEM (Hannah)was grumpy but this isn't a reflection of all GEMS. We had a late flight and Hannah had organized a spare villa for us to have a shower. We went there and to our surprise it was occupied. It was a bigger surprise for the guests who were staying there. My friend had the senior GEM (sophie) and she was fantastic with helping me when I lost my waterproof camera. If unlucky, your room will have giant black ants (the largest I has ever seen) and our shower had cockroaches. Appreciate that villas are meant to have a natural setting but huge cockroaches and ants werent expected. Staff gave me bug spray but I was hoping they could make a more permanent solution. Breakfast service was very haphazard. Waiters werent refilling juices or empty buffet trays which is not what you expect from a six senses

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank HongKongDivemaster
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Just got back from a week staying here. We were looked after like silk worms. Our GEM was great as were all the staff. Always smiling and friendly.

They are serious when they say its a barefoot resort. The first morning we had shoes on for breakfast and saw quickly that NO ONE had shoes on. Almost felt naked! haha.

Food was good and never felt like the menu was repeating itself. Breakfast was exceptional; the standard comparable to top asian hotels. Lunch we took as room service in our Villa. Dinner at both restaurants was a 3 course menu with 4 choices in each entree, main and dessert. If its not included in your package then its 35USD for breakfast, 45usd for lunch and 75 usd for dinner ( all prices plus 13,85% taxes) Bottles of wine start from about 45usd (quite drinkable) to several thousand. The wine menu was HUGE.

My 10 year old daughter took 2 windsurfing lessons for 55usd an hour (nice guys at water sports who didn't watch the clock and i'm pretty sure she got a lot more than we paid) and was able to take it out by herself after that. You can just take them as well as the sea kayak and catamaran if you know what you are doing for free.

The snorkelling was surprisingly good. After reading some of the reviews here I was a bit sceptical and thought we'd need to take a trip, but what we could see from our villa steps and from the restaurants was ample for our family. One moring we saw a pod of about 150 dolphins from the breakfast restaurant. We were told they come by most mornings at 7 so we set the alarm (!) for 2 mornings and didn't see them. One morning we went to breakfast at 9 and there they were! Saw also some eagle rays, turtles, eels and millions of fish snorkelling from our villa and restaurant steps. They said at the dive center the snorkelling was fantastic going out on their trips but like I said earlier we saw plenty close by.

We were happy for the bikes to get around back and forth from our villa to the restaurants. From our Villa 15 it took about 10 minutes to walk or about 3 to bike. You'd have to be in really bad shape if you think it would be difficult. I cycled all the way aroud the island in about 10 minutes along the hard packed sandy paths.

We had 2 massages when we were there. I had swedish both times and it was excellent. The setting was beautiful. After the massage you are taken to relax in a pavillion by the sea to drink ginger tea, water or juice.

The resort was about 70% full (about max 200 people) and the staff level is about 300 - most of whom you'd never see. The only time you tended to see many people was at meal times. I think most people made used of their wonderful Villas during the day - it was hard to leave them!

We didn't have any creepy crawlies - in our villa or in the restaurants. My in-laws stayed in a Beach Villa and didn't have any either. The only land based wildlife we saw were a few bats at dusk, colourful lizards and some crabs.

This was our 5th Six Senses resort we stayed at and have already booked Con Dao in Vietnam for february. Once you have stayed in a SS property its difficult to stay other places. Our family and friends who have stayed have all fallen in love with the SS concept.

I can't think of more to write now. I can only recomend you go and experience Laamu.

Room Tip: We had watervilla 15 on Jetty A and was very happy. Faced the sunset. Rooms 5-18 would all be the sa...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Craig681
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I knew that the house reef was not very good. But it turned out to be lower than my low expectation. This time it was ok because we moved to Banyan Tree which has a great house reef. If it is your first time in Maldives and you will stay at one place only, maybe Laamu is not the place.

Pros:
The view from the room is fantastic. In this resort, you should stay in the room and we did so.
Food is good. The picnic island (hide-away island?) was great. Beautiful corals and many colourful fish. The house reef is bad but small eagle rays regularly come. I saw them 2 times while I was snorkeling.

Cons:
It's not Soneva Fushi or Soneva Gili. Much less people are working and that reflects service quality (Fortunately, my gem was good, thus the stay itself was very pleasant). My fried egg came just before when we were leaving the table and my pan cake didn't come on a different day. Quality is good but less choices than Soneva. The house reef is very bad.

全体的に予想通りでしたけれど、ハウスリーフは思っていた以上に悪かったです。今回はバニヤンツリーにも泊まって、そこでハウスリーフを楽しめたので良かったのですが、もし初めてのモルジブで一箇所だけに泊まる事を考えているならばラームはやめた方がいいかもしれません。ちょっとモルジブらしさに欠け過ぎるかなと思うので。

部屋からの眺めは素晴らしいです。ラームでは部屋でのんびりするのが正解では無いでしょうか。ピクニックに使う無人島もとても良かったです。ここは珊瑚が生き生きしていてカラフルなモルジブらしい魚も沢山いて。

ソネバフシやソネバギリよりも(客室に対する)スタッフの数が少ない(半分くらい?)ので、やっぱりサービスのクオリティーには影響が出ています。

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank K_Gon_I
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My friend and I have just returned from Six Senses Laamu and I can truly say this was the most wonderful travel experience I have ever had. The stunning beauty of the Maldives combined with the eco respecting beauty of the resorts design, our GEM;s warm and ever available service, abundant and delicious food and that incredivle warm turquoise water all made for an unforgettable travel experience. I love luxury resorts and have experienced many but the stay in an over water villa at Six Senses now tops my list! - Not to be missed!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
17.7 km away
Pallazo Laamu
Pallazo Laamu
#2 of 4 in Gan Island

Been to Six Senses Laamu? Share your experiences!