“Steamy week in Cumbria JandJ620 have said it all. Great experience and great day.”

Lakeside & Haverthwaite Steam Railway
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Hard Working Steam Locomotives haul carriages to Lakeside on this steeply graded former Furness Railway Branch Line.Excellent value combined tickets available with other attractions in and around Windermere.
Reviewed 27 November 2017

Similarly the generous owners of the company had donated another Ultimate Steam Experience auction prize at a NSPCA event. I joined the footplate before all the passengers arrived and assisted ? the drive and fireman to re-sight the engine. I then went for a gargantian full English Railway Mans' breakfast and waddled back to the footplate and started stoking the engine- phew. The Fireman (an employee)and Driver (a volunteer part of a famous baking company which he started) were brilliant. Volunteering all manner of interesting facts and figures and answering questions without any form of patronising. Then completed two return journeys up to Lakeside with a full load of passengers through the fell-side country. Marvelled at the skill and experience used by the footplate men as they used the steam to drive and stop the engine with the finest of accuracy.
Then back down to Haverthwaite where I was obliged? to consume a huge beautifully cooked luncheon with delightful manager and staff, in the same Station Restaurant and then back to work for the final trip shovelling coal for a touch longer than I was prepared for.
Spoke to many of the passengers who were delighted with the experience, steam buff or otherwise, and who usually then took a boat up the lakes.
Brilliant day out.

in 12 reviews
"ticket office"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 20 November 2017

This preserved railway has loads of charm and is ideal for families to visit. There is a huge carpark at Haverthwaite and plenty to walk around and see. The train trip is not overly long - good for little people. Plan your trip with time to wander round at lakeside.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

We bought the Ultimate Steam Experience in the Charity Auction at Furness Group Riding for the Disabled's Gala Dinner early in the year. It had been kindly donated by the Owners. We were welcomed early in the morning and were involved in all aspects of getting the handsome Fairburn 42073 steam locomotive up and running - oiling, lighting the fire, shovelling the coal, coupling/uncoupling the carriages, changing the points with the end reward of being the driver. Gary, the driver, and Dean, the fireman, were both friendly and informative and really made the day something to remember. We were given a delicious breakfast and a quick lunch as we didn't want to miss our 2 trips to Lakeside before it got dark. Thank you to everyone at Haverthwaite Railway and to Paddy for being the guard for the day. A truly memorable experience.

Reviewed 14 November 2017

Whenever we stay in the Lakes we always manage to fit in a trip on the steam train. You can escape the 21st Century for a little while and pretend you're back in the 19th!