“Kids love a real steam train”

Lakeside & Haverthwaite Steam Railway
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Hard Working Steam Locomotives haul carriages to Lakeside on this steeply graded former Furness Railway Branch Line.Excellent value combined tickets available with other attractions in and around Windermere.
Reviewed 14 November 2017

Whenever we stay in the Lakes we always manage to fit in a trip on the steam train. You can escape the 21st Century for a little while and pretend you're back in the 19th!

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"ticket office"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

I would like to make a complaint about the Haverthwaite railway.

We wished to book 3 tickets for the santa trip in Sat 16th.

I was advised 5 seats were available but informed they would refuse to sell me the 3 seats as I had to purchase all 5. Being a visitor to your region I was disgusted, let alone the disappointment to my daughter!

I was apparently told to bring two other people. Not sure how I do that if I am a visitor to the area. It was just another way for them to make money and the tickets are not cheap anyway.

They may not even sell those 5!

Disgusted

1  Thank Jackie b
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

We got the combined ticket with the boat trip! All of the family absolutely loved it!!! When we got off the train there was a guy from an Owl Sanctuary who was letting kids hold the owls for free and explaining what kind of owls they were etc!! There was a lovely walk and play area at the end of the track. Highly recommend for families with young children!!

Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

Not bad pricing. Steam train timed to meet lake steamer boat. Three adults 2 children under 4. Great views to be had on the trip on Lake Windermere. There is an aquarium at Lakeside, has potential but needs a bit of TLC.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 November 2017

Booked along side the Windermere cruise to Bowness and the combined family ticket at £42 for up to 5 people, I felt was good value for money. The chap who provides the commentary was a highly very versed young man on the history of the line which added to the experience. Great to be able to see the working of the engines etc.