All reviewshorseback ridingthe rivercosta ricabeautiful groundszip liningoff the beaten pathwhite water raftingair conditioningla selvawaterfallpropertyjacuzziadventurenaturebirdsfurnishingsretreat
Reviewed 22 January 2017

This location is an old ranch converted in an upscale retreat. The property is beautiful, spacious and surrounded by nature. The common area is a large open space. The style is somewhat rustic, but extremely well taken care of. The rooms appear like small bungalow, several overlooking a lake with private patio. The furniture is minimalistic, but tasteful. wifi is available on in the common areas.There is a spa on site as well as a swimming pool and jacuzzi. The bar has a good wine and cocktail list.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank C F
Reviewed 13 January 2017

This is a very comfortable, old-fashioned lodge. The accommodations are spacious and nice, reminiscent of the 1970’s style. You’re not going to get deluxe accommodations, but you’ll have a lot of options of things to do, from nature hikes to horseback riding to watching a Costa Rica style rodeo. And they have a small museum which, when I was there, had some lovely paintings by a Costa Rican artist; the exhibit wouldn’t have been out of place in a nice art gallery anywhere.

The restaurant parallels the hotel in general. Ample, perfectly fine food, if not gourmet fare.

The staff are extraordinarily friendly and helpful.

My one complaint is the wi-fi. It’s not available in the rooms, but only in the lobby and restaurant area. But in the restaurant area, it’s very slow or even unavailable if there are a lot of people there.

But that’s a minor complaint. Overall, this is a very nice hotel in a lovely setting.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Winstonthecat1
Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

We spent new year at Sueño Azul and it was great. They did a nice horse happening and a good dinner. The rooms are large and the beds are good, albeit short for tall Europeans like me. The breakfast they serve is excellent. The place is surrounded by beautiful vegetation and you are howled awake in the morning by the active howler monkeys. For me the best feature was the ginormous and beautiful airy yoga room, in a remote part of the resort with chirping wildlife around and filled with serene silence in the morning. Many yoga schools would be lucky to have such a beautiful space.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank ErikVollebregt
Reviewed 27 December 2016

My friends and I fell in love with this location as soon as we saw our room! Overlooking a stream running past the back porch, the sounds of the birds and water, the large, well-lit room was extremely comfortable. The grounds of the hacienda have paths to a river for tubing, small beaches, and paths to the rainforest and waterfalls! There are enough activities to fill several days without having to leave the grounds. It's that gigantic of a property! This location truly has it all. In addition, on the last day of our stay one of my travel companions aggravated his back and Sueno Azul's property manager went out of his way, ABOVE and BEYOND the call of duty to get pain medication from town, and even a Red Cross nurse to assist. All I can add is that the kindness my friends and I experienced here exceeded all expectations. This place is truly worth a visit.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Darcy L
Reviewed 15 December 2016 via mobile

After searching for a place to do horse riding I found this place not far from San Jose where we live and fair prices Sueño azul exceeded my expectations. I came with my husband to celebrate his birthday we stay one night in the hotel and we loved it. The place is cozy and comfortable surrounded with a beautiful nature, the treatment of all the staff is excellent, we went on days where there were hardly any guests so it was ideal for us but we thought it a good place to go with family or friends, there's a lot to do in the property however is perfect to relax and disconnect and create good memories with the people you love the most.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple