All reviews fairy garden carlow town on arrival family wedding highly recommend this hotel lovely hotel next morning wedding reception staff were very friendly steak every member of staff function room couldn't fault an overnight stay bar restaurant keep up the good work well worth a visit
Reviewed 14 November 2018

Lovely hotel and staff pleasant and helpful at all times. Food was lovely and always piping hot. Brian in the bar was so helpful and friendly and really knew his stuff when it came to cocktails & gins

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2018

Hi GillianS1013
Thanks for your review here, delighted you enjoyed your stay & I will be passing your comments on to Brian. He'll be delighted to hear them as he fancies himself as a bit of a Tom Cruise with it comes to the cocktails, but glad you enjoyed them.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Woodford Dolmen Hotel soon,

Reviewed 12 November 2018

We had a lovely mini break. Hotel cosy and staff very helpful and welcoming. River view from our warm bright room fabulous. Being near Carlow town a bonus and there is so much to do in the area. . Food so yummy and the dining room snug. I will be back.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2018

Hi Jennifer M
Thanks for this lovely 5 star review here. Delighted you enjoyed your stay with us & got to experience our scenic yet convenient mini break location.
Its lovely to read that you say you'll be back & I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 November 2018

Loved this hotel. Staff exceptional. Friendly and helpful. Lovely view from our room of the river and little red bridge. Only stayed for one night but will definitely be back. Food lovely. All very good value.

Dear Joyce W
Its heartwarming to sit here & read your review of your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on delivering an excellence customer experience so its great to read this back in guest comments like yours. We are very lucky with our scenic riverside setting overlooked by the rolling Killeshin Hills so I'm glad you got to enjoy these views from your bedroom.
Great to see you say you'll definitely be back & I look forward to us welcoming you back to the Woodford Dolmen Hotel

Reviewed 8 November 2018

Stayed here for one night, was booked last minute as we were too tired to carry on with our onward journey. Initial thoughts were it is old fashioned. Nice greeting and helpful staff at reception. Bit of a maze to get to room. No key cards and door does not lock itself as you leave. Standard size room, with tea/coffee making facilities, kettle looked a little tired. Bathroom was pretty dated with the nosiest fan ever. Only one hand towel and two bath towels for 3 people. Beds ok, but when I caught sight of the duvet it was cheap dirty and had cigarette holes in it. I didn't report to reception as my son was already asleep. We were in a ground floor room. Very noisy above us, it was like an upstairs of a creaky cottage, could hear everything. I could also hear the conversation the room next door were having as I was trying to go to sleep. Room was pretty cold so we asked at reception for the heating to be put on and were told it was on timer for an hour every 3 hours so we had to wait... Breakfast was ok, hot buffet style that you need to be served, and continental. No Nutella! We went back to our room after breakfast to find a van parked very closely to our window and the man preceded to use a leave blower which was very noisy. I feel this was a little early as many people could still be asleep! I left my earrings on the base of the lamp on the locker and was meant to put them on after breakfast before I left but forgot. I phoned an hour or so after check out to let them know I had forgot them, I left my number and awaited a call back. I called back later in the afternoon and my number was taken again but I received no call back that day. I called again the following morning, to be told again I would get a call back. Still received no call back that day. I then decided to email the hotel thinking I might get an answer. I received an email to say they will check and get back to me as soon as possible. Again, no response so between my repeated emails looking for a response I was eventually told 6 days after my stay that my earrings were not there!! They must have been stolen because that was where I left them. For many reasons I wouldn't stay again or recommend this hotel to anyone.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Stampy20

Hi Stampy20

Thanks for taking the time to review here, sorry our rooms were not up to your high standard. The decor & interior of the hotel are oldstyle county with a modern twist & the doors keys are in keeping with the character of the hotel & is a nice quirky extra a lot of our guests seem to enjoy.
Sorry about the noise of the leafblower but for health & safety purposes we are required to keep the car park & front entrance of the hotel clear of wet slippy leaves to prevent accidents especially in this windy wet weather.
I'm sorry to read about your lost earrings. My apologies you didn't receive a call back to your initial phone call enquiry as you should have, however I have received a copy of the email thread with all 11 correspondences between yourself & our reception staff over the couple of days. I can see that for all except the last reply it was the same receptionist that responded to you & this would explain some time lapses between your emails & responses as the receptionist had taken ownership of trying to track down your earrings on her shifts rather then handing it back & forth between different staff. You were informed a little over 24 hours after your first email that your earrings had not been found which unfortunately was still the same outcome at the end of the email tread 3 days later.
I understand it is very frustrating when you misplace something, especially when you think you know where it is. However I take offence to your comment that your earrings "must have been stolen" as this gives a very bad reflection on our staff. We have a very specific process for logging & storing all lost & found items & this is strictly adhered to by all our staff.
I am sorry this has left you with a negative feeling towards us and I do hope for you that your earrings turn up in a bag or pocket or somewhere soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2018

lady on check in was very nice and made us feel very wecome, we went to our room which was upgarded to a suit and the complementary bottle of champagne, chocolates and personalised note were a lovely surprise. we had food in the bar both nights i must say it was very nice and well persented and the staff wery very Freindly and efficient. breakfast was very nice and the breakfast staff were lovely, it was nice to see how your breakfast staff reacted when one of your guest became ill at breakfast they made no fuss looked after the guest while attending to the other guest's aswell well done, we finished breakfast just as the ambulance arrived. the next morning at breakfast your staff member remembered us from the moring before and i asked how the ill guest got on she said she was fine. your hotel is lovely and your staff make it feel like a home away from home.

1  Thank Tour43229410647

Hi Tour43229410647
Thank you for your lovely review here & for you lovely kind words about our staff. Our team are one of our biggest assets & we are very aware how lucky we are to have them. Guest health & safety is a key priority for us which is why we have a AED available in our front lobby. All of our staff received regular first aid & safety training so can deal with situations as they arise but it's nice to hear from an independent onlooker as to how you felt the situation was dealt with.
Delighted you felt "home away from home" while staying with us & I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again soon.