All reviews european style stayed longer fairy tale schloss neuschwanstein wc germany sleeping balcony cows bike
Reviewed 4 July 2018

This place is a gorgeous as it is in the pictures. What a beautiful part of Germany. I wish we had stayed longer. If you are planning a trip to Germany you must put this on your list of stops and stays. The food was also really good. We had a wonderful view of the Castle from our balcony. Room 405.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Janninedf
Reviewed 6 June 2018

Good Food Good Service Good Price Excellent Location Spa Service and Massages where excellent. The package Deal including the Fee to the Kristall Therme are a real bargain. Would recommend this Location to anyone

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2018

Really glad we stayed here because the location was perfect to use their bikes and explore the area. The room for four was in the newer building across the street and was perfect. Man at front desk not friendly.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2018

I have stayed at this hotel three or four times over an eight year period - always for more than a week. This time I was given a very comfortable room and a good work desk which I had asked for when I booked. As always the hotel general staff were very friendly and great to deal with. The hotel was extremely clean and very well heated given I was there for two days when the temperature did not get above -14C. Although I booked a two week stay, the room given was directly over the kitchen and spot where large trucks offload produce for the kitchen. After two nights I used ear plugs to block out the noise that started at 5.45am each day and ended after 9pm. Also, in the first week, there were noisy renovations going on almost directly above where I was trying to do some work and thinking. Personally I would have thought someone staying for such a stay would not be given a room in that location. As I noted above though, the room was very comfortable. The disaster for me on the stay was the quality of the internet! A year ago, it went offline twice even if once for two days over the weekend. During this stay every day it went offline at least three or four times and sometimes for over 30 minutes. Pretty hard to work with this going on when you have to keep reloading files. It was discussed with the management a number of times and in the end I gave up when they suggested I should maybe look for another hotel with reliable internet. A year ago I was told the issue was about to be resolved but clearly it has not and indeed is now much more intermittent. It ended up being a regretful stay and while I really like much about the hotel and the general staff, the attitude expressed when a significant problem exists means that sadly this is not a hotel I will return to. Even when I checked out the issue was not referred to nor an apology given which was considered strange given I was a long standing guest of some years.

Room Tip: Avoid room 108. It is directly over the kitchen, service room next door, and truck offloading spot. ..
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Teringie
Reviewed 9 January 2018

I worked at this hotel in the summer of 1970 as a 'guest worker' from the US. I was only 19 then, but the staff and everyone associated with the Helmer family--because it was, and still is, a family-run business--was incredibly nice to a young man from Oklahoma experiencing their culture for the first time. When I returned in August 2017--a not so young man anymore--I was greeted with the same hospitality and friendliness I had experienced more than 47 years earlier. My wife and I had a room in the main building, which had actually grown some since 1970, but not so much that it took away any of the hotel's charm. My old room in the 'attic' was no longer there, a result of a remodel (I had asked the staff if I could see it). My 'new' room, however, was more than I had hoped for. It was very spacious with a nice queen bed, a balcony with a view that was also lined with colorful flower boxes, a large flat screen TV (that we rarely watched since there's so much to see and do in the area), and a large step-in shower and WC. The parking behind the building was fairly tight and pretty much full the whole time we were there, so we tried not to take our rental car out, which worked out well since we almost exclusively used the free bicycles provided by the hotel. The included breakfast filled us up, as did one other meal we took at the hotel's restaurant. The rest of the time we ate in one of the numerous and fine dining establishments in Schwangau and nearby Fussen. The 'fairy tale' castle of Neuschwanstein was about a mile away and could be seen from near our hotel. At the castle there were hordes of tourists from all over the world, with many from the US, but at Hotel Helmer there seemed to be few north Americans, even though the place was filled with tourists. The only other visitors from the US that we saw in our 3-night stay there were somewhat obnoxious, so we kept our mouths shut and stayed away from them. For us it was definitely more of a European-style tourist experience, which is something we enjoyed immensely. We can heartily recommend this place for anyone wanting the charm of staying in a small Bavarian village, but who also want a touch of luxury and the friendliness that good staff can bring.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple