“Top Quality”

The Olive Tree
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in St Merryn
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Olive Tree in St Merryn opens for dinner from Tuesday to Saturday from 6.30pm). Our food is largely influenced by Mediterranean cuisine and, indeed, anywhere you might find olive trees growing. We focus on making the most of the wonderful fresh produce available in Cornwall, and we source our fish, meat, dairy and most of our fruit & vegetables from local producers. Reservations are recommended, and please let us know in advance if you have any special dietary requirements. Please note that the restaurant opens in March through to December - please contact us for specific dates.
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

A lovely cosy restaurant in St Merryn which is always a favourite. Excellent local produce, good service and nice ambience. Everything was very tasty, well presented and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Flo and her husband are very good at what they do, and we look forward to returning after they have had their well earned winter break. Enjoy!

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank Patricia2709

Reviewed 1 November 2018

We found this place by chance while staying at Treyarnon Bay. Looking for somewhere to celebrate my birthday I looked at the menus for pubs nearby and, while they did perfectly good pub grub, they didn’t appeal to me. Fortunately, I remembered seeing this place as we had driven around St Merryn, and am I glad I had.

Even though we had no phone signal and had to rely on phone messages and email to secure a table, nothing was too much trouble. We arrived to a warm welcome and a choice of tables as we were there first. We opted for a booth which offered some privacy (a Birthday booth as my OH called it). When finding out it was my birthday, we were promptly offered a glass of Prosecco each - an extremely welcome surprise which was really appreciated. From here the evening only got better.

We sat looking at the menu trying to decide what to order from the mouthwatering selection. I should point out that we struggle to eat three courses at most pubs and restaurants because the onus is usually on quantity rather than quality, because of this we debated whether to have a starter or not. Fortunately we decided to go with a starter and both chose something we thought would be light and maybe leave room for dessert. We both chose scallops with butternut purée, and I chose slow roasted belly pork for my main while the OH had roasted hake from the “specials” board.

We sat back to wait for our starters, sipping our Prosecco and admiring the artwork on the restaurant walls. When the starters arrived we were not disappointed; tender scallops on individual beds of purée. Delicious! Enough to whet our appetites but not too much to fill us up. Our mains arrived; the pork came with broccoli stems and potato rosti and the hake with crushed potatoes with spinach and courgettes. The food was cooked perfectly and was very tasty.

At this point I should mention that this restaurant has one big difference to all others I’ve been to; they only have one sitting throughout the evening so, once sat at your table, you’re able to stay for as long as you like without having to rush because someone else is booked in after you. Knowing this, you’re able to relax, take your time eating and enjoying the company and conversation.

Maybe because of not having to eat fast, we both found we had room for dessert. I chose pear poached in saffron with clotted cream and my OH had the cheese board. His concern that there would be too much to finish was allayed by the promise of a doggy bag if there was any cheese left! As with both previous courses, the desserts were outstanding and we left feeling pleasantly full.

All in all, a very welcome find and I would not hesitate to recommend it should you be in the area. We will certainly be visiting again next time we stay in north Cornwall.

2  Thank TheFinalFurlong
Reviewed 30 October 2018 via mobile

What a find! From making the booking to confirmation on the day to enjoying a fabulous meal, everything about the Olive Tree is just lovely.
The choice on the menu had us all jumping from one thing to another as they all sounded amazing. We enjoyed hake, Cornish gurnard, duck and steak. Followed by posset, sorbet and poached pear.
The Olive Tree makes you feel relaxed and at home. We will be back!

1  Thank Vwake2904
Reviewed 28 October 2018

Lovely evening with our family, delicious food, very delicate and tasty.
The atmosphere is quiet and warm - definitely a must stop for the travelers like us!
We were on a weekend trip from Guildford, down in Cornwall for the first time. Loved every bit! Thank you Fiona and Kevin for the lovely evening! We'll make sure to stop again next time we're visiting Padstow :)

1  Thank ClaireF2351
Reviewed 27 October 2018

Went here for an evening meal and have to compliment the owners. They have the balance absolutely spot on. Menu has something for almost everyone without being 100s of dishes. The choices we made were cooked really well and were well presented. Very friendly service from the owners without being over obtrusive. Felt a bit like a family meal. We were made to feel very welcome. Have booked for next spring, that being testament to how much we enjoyed the whole experience. Loved the whole evening!

2  Thank Maudlin24